What's new

Favorite blade for a first shave...

What's your favorite first shave blade. Meaning what blade do you like to use for a good first shave and not have to wait until the second or third shave for a good shave?

It might be your least favorite blade or it could be the blade you use every day. But which blade is it?

Personally I haven't found it yet but I'm looking.

David,

May I suggest the Feather or the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow pack)? You might as well start at the top.

Regards,

Obelit

David,

May I suggest the Feather or the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow pack)? You might as well start at the top.

Regards,

Obelit

Been using feathers a little bit but I feel like they're too sharp on the first shave. They seem to be about right by the third shave. I'm ideally looking for something to use on my murker barberpole for one shave and one shave only. Not too sharp, not too dull, but just right.

red ip.

I find the same as you OP about the feather blade. You could try corking the blade though if you have this issue with all the blades you have tried.
Run the blade through an old cork, or try hand stropping the blade.

Red IP.
But I got a nice surprise when I gave a second chance to my derby extras (the first time, wasn't a good experience)

Astra Superior Platinum, Derby Extra and Red Pack IPs work out of the box. Feathers are a bit too for my taste. I use them regulary, but the first shave is usually not the best.

What are swedes besides those that live in Sweden. I assume we're talking blades here though...

Gillette used to manufacture blades at a plant in Europe. That plant is now manufacturing cartridges. So the "swedes" are a Gillette blade that is no longer being manufactured.

Depending on the razor; Lord Super Stainless or Souplex. I have a couple of NOS Schick platinums that perform great too.

Too expensive for what it is but really nice; Merkur....almost as good as the Lords or the Souplex.

YMMV !

Lord Super Stainless (vs. Super Chrome or Platinum) work reasonably well straight out of the package, good for 2 shaves. Not too sharp, not too dull. Won't knock your socks off, but cheap enough you probably won't care!

Top Bottom