What's new

Trading Services

I was wondering how one might go about trading services for expensive razors or supplies. For instance, let's say I need a tooth pulled and I'm broke, but I have an 8/8 Friodur with ebony scales just sitting in a drawer. Yes, I could advertise the razor on the BST, but who has that kind of spare change these days? (Not me.) But if I knew of a straight-shaving dentist...

I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud. Nevermind.

Me

I was wondering how one might go about trading services for expensive razors or supplies. For instance, let's say I need a tooth pulled and I'm broke, but I have an 8/8 Friodur with ebony scales just sitting in a drawer. Yes, I could advertise the razor on the BST, but who has that kind of spare change these days? (Not me.) But if I knew of a straight-shaving dentist...

Me

Me

My wife is a dentist - don't get excited. She only does root canal treatment, and does not extract teeth.

BUT and this is the BIG BUT - if you are in need of dental services and are truly low on money there are several options.

1) if you live near a dental school they will be very glad to have some new patients to work on. Students are supervised and the instructors will step in and help if they get over their head with the procedure. When my wife was in dental school I needed to get a tooth pulled and I had it done at the school and had no problems.

If that does not work for you.

2) Call your state dental association:
SC Dental Association, 120 Stonemark Lane Columbia, SC 29210
(800)327-2598 in SC or (803)750-2277 (803)750-1644 (F)
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30 Eastern Time

Ask if they know of any dentist or dental clinics in your area that does work for a reduced fee for those who need some help, or there may even be a free clinic in your area.

3) You might check with churches in your area to see if they offer any services for someone who needs dental work but is in need.

4) Some dentists will have their own payment plans for patients, but not as many as there used to be. It costs the dentist to collect the payments and keep track and they end up with patients not paying their bill and so the dentist has to write off the debt or turn them over to collections. Neither of which is something they want to do.

5) If you want to pay for it yourself but need some time to get the money together check out http://www.carecredit.com/ many dentists are accepting this method of payment. There are 2 very important things about this: 1st the dentist is paying a percentage to use the services of Care Credit. It's a 0% plan for you IF and I did say IF - NOTE - IF you pay off the debt prior to the 60 days or 90 days 0%. But if you go over they hit you with a very high interest rate for using the service.

But if you have been told you need to have an extraction you should not fool around, you might get an infection and that can be painful and end up costing more than the extraction.

Last and not but not least if you can save the tooth that is the best path to take. Taking out a tooth does have its own set of problems and things you should or would want to do once the tooth is out.

Top Bottom