What's new

English Pronunciation

A member asked earlier for the correct pronunciation of the English town name Bicester. It is pronounced like 'Twister'. Leicester (as in "Leicester Square") is pronounced 'Lester'.

I'm pretty sure there are many others that need clarification - so, come on - let's have 'em!

For my part, I'd like to know the correct pronunciation of Detroit. Is the emphasis on the first part (Deeetroit), or the second syllable (Detroit)?

Most people locally put the emphasis on the second syllable.

For any Birmingham you find in the U.S. the "ham" is not emphasized but is quite prominent; not swallowed.

- Chris

How about "north", as in "North London"? Is it pronounced the same way my shirt is spelled? :wink:

proxy.php

Having grown up in New England, we have many of the same place names (Worcester, Leicester, Gloucester as I mentioned before).

Now for my questions:

Holyrood?
Marylebone?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
A member asked earlier for the correct pronunciation of the English town name Bicester. It is pronounced like 'Twister'. Leicester (as in "Leicester Square") is pronounced 'Lester'.

I'm pretty sure there are many others that need clarification - so, come on - let's have 'em!

For my part, I'd like to know the correct pronunciation of Detroit. Is the emphasis on the first part (Deeetroit), or the second syllable (Detroit)?

There are some about here who pronounce it Frenchly, as in Day-TWAW.

Since I learnt the little English I know, never understood how "live", as in a "U2 go home, LIVE from Slane Castle", is pronounced like "life".....why not write it like that and then be done with the "problem"? Or is it just me that considers that a "problem"???:001_huh:

By the way, in Spanish you just know when you see a word written its exact pronuntiation, so no "mistery" about it....:biggrin:

And I like how "Birmingham" is pronounced up there in England! :wink:

Regards

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd like to know what the deal is with the pronunciation of the name "Ralph" ... sometimes it's pronounced like "Raif" and other times the 'a' and the 'l' are included in a drawl ... "Raaaalllph".

Is that regional?

Personally, I pronounce "Detroit" almost like "adroit" (the handier sister of "maladroit") ... sort of like an Englishman would pronounce my new made-up French word d'Troit.

Every once in a while I hear someone say "DEE-troy-IT", but I think that's another accent altogether.

I'd like to know what the deal is with the pronunciation of the name "Ralph" ... sometimes it's pronounced like "Raif" and other times the 'a' and the 'l' are included in a drawl ... "Raaaalllph".

Is that regional?

The only Ralph I've heard of who went that way was Ralph Vaughan Williams, the composer. The pronounciation was considered to be unusual (I believe it was supposed to be an ancient style) and his insistence on it was regarded as a personal idiosycracy.

- Chris

Well down South, it's almost always going to be pronounced,"DEE-troit." As in,"Gitchew a mayup, n we gon' drahhv 'on up air ta DEEtröit."

Having grown up in New England, we have many of the same place names (Worcester, Leicester, Gloucester as I mentioned before).

Now for my questions:

Holyrood?
Marylebone?

Dunno how i would write the way holyrood is pronounced as it really to me reads how its spelt.

in my neck of the woods marlyebone is pronounced.

marly-bone

so marly as in bob and bone as in give the dog a ...

Is that regional?

It may be more of a class thing than a regional thing.

Since I learnt the little English I know, never understood how "live", as in a "U2 go home, LIVE from Slane Castle", is pronounced like "life".....why not write it like that and then be done with the "problem"? Or is it just me that considers that a "problem"???:001_huh:

In this case, the word "live" (rhymes with "five") is an adjective, to describe something that's actually happening in real time, right then. Almost like a contraction of "alive".

The only Ralph I've heard of who went that way was Ralph Vaughan Williams, the composer. The pronounciation was considered to be unusual (I believe it was supposed to be an ancient style) and his insistence on it was regarded as a personal idiosycracy.

- Chris

Same here. I have knew several dudes names Ralph, and there was none of that funny silent" l" pronunciation.

Dunno how i would write the way holyrood is pronounced as it really to me reads how its spelt.

in my neck of the woods marlyebone is pronounced.

marly-bone

so marly as in bob and bone as in give the dog a ...

So it's holy as in "Holy Cow!"

and rood sounds like "rude"?

Marylebone is a lot more obvious if you misspell it like you did. :smile:

So it's holy as in "Holy Cow!"

and rood sounds like "rude"?

Marylebone is a lot more obvious if you misspell it like you did. :smile:

Yes yes, spelling was never one of my strong points.

I would say that holyrood is pronounced

holy - as in the bush that everyone likes to decorate there doors with at christmas and yes rood does sound like rude. just a slight less emphasis on the u.

I can pronounce the village name Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch without the aid of a spittoon or needing it written down.

I am Welsh though!

Gareth

I can pronounce the village name Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch without the aid of a spittoon or needing it written down.

I am Welsh though!

Gareth

I had to check to see if you weren't trying to pull the wool over our eyes on that one, but the place does exist. I was convinced there was no way anyone would name a village with that long of a name, but apparently they did. And on purpose too, if what I read was any indication! :eek2:

Top Bottom