What's new

Interesting development in brush preference...

I've been looking forward to firing up my 24 mm Best Badger once again after laying it off for a while and using my low-loft 21 mm Silvertip. So this morning I opened a new puck of Honeybee Spa Bay Rum and started lathering. After the small brush, this one, which I loved immensely when I first put it together, felt huge in my hand and on my face...

I'll give it a few more runs, then I may consider selling it and going with the smaller brush...

All I have ever used has been the smaller brushes so I have nothing to compare to but as far as I am concerned I dont feel the need to try a bigger brush.

I've been looking forward to firing up my 24 mm Best Badger once again after laying it off for a while and using my low-loft 21 mm Silvertip. So this morning I opened a new puck of Honeybee Spa Bay Rum and started lathering. After the small brush, this one, which I loved immensely when I first put it together, felt huge in my hand and on my face...

I'll give it a few more runs, then I may consider selling it and going with the smaller brush...

I too have decided all of my brushes are too big. :sad: Even a 23mm I have seems huge. I do have a Wee Scot 14mm, but that is really too small.

So, I am looking for yet another brush. My current favorite is a 24mm Roney. I can get the same thing in 22mm but I think even that may be bigger than I want.

A quick look through my favorite on-line retailers didn't turn anything up except for some waaay too expensive Plissons. Come on! 20mm from $190 to $250? If only Roney had a 20-21mm style 1.

BTW -- what brush is that? Sounds like just what I want.

It's a Sisley Creek Special. :smile:

But seriously, it's one I put together. I bought a Golden Nib 20mm knot and sunk it in a piece of mule deer antler so that the loft is only about 47 mm. I posted a picture here when I first got it done:

My new silvertip travel brush

Since the picture was taken, that brush has bloomed quite nicely. Even though it's a silvertip, with the short loft it's a bit scrubby, which I like, and builds lather in a most excellent fashion.

PS Update: I used the big brush again this morning, this time squeezing the base of the knot with my fingers, and things went a bit better, but the jury is still out...

PPS If you like the looks of the little guy, let's talk. I might be persuaded to part with him...

PPS If you like the looks of the little guy, let's talk. I might be persuaded to part with him...

Thanks for the offer but I'm still too up in the air about this to take any action right now. Plus I just blew my budget for shaving stuff buying a few hones. I'll "suffer" for a while with the six or eight brushes I already have. :001_smile

I'm looking at the Simpson Commodore x1 on leesrazors.com. 20mm Simpson at $65 seems like a deal to me.

The knot is really not what matters in a brush's size. I have a Penworks finest brush that has an almost inch wide knot, but because of the low loft (46mm) doesn't bloom AT ALL. This brush stays very compact on the face and is super soft and scrubby at the same time. The Rooney 1/1 does a similar thing, so if you wanna sell an old brush, buy a 1/1. If you don't like it, I'm sure there will be people here who will take it off your hands.
But you should remember the Rooney break-in period and give the 1/1 a full chance

The knot is really not what matters in a brush's size. I have a Penworks finest brush that has an almost inch wide knot, but because of the low loft (46mm) doesn't bloom AT ALL. This brush stays very compact on the face and is super soft and scrubby at the same time. The Rooney 1/1 does a similar thing, so if you wanna sell an old brush, buy a 1/1. If you don't like it, I'm sure there will be people here who will take it off your hands.
But you should remember the Rooney break-in period and give the 1/1 a full chance

Interesting point! I know I like the Rooneys

I concur with the short loft idea. I had a 23mm brush with an average loft a while back, and currently have a 22mm Rooney 3/1 special (47mm loft). The Rooney bloom is much, much smaller than a 1mm difference would indicate.

I've really come to like a small brush too. I used a small C&E travel brush for about a month this summer when I was traveling and I thought it was fantastic. I went back to my larger brushes this weekend, but they seem enormous. Maybe I'll get used to them again after a while, but right now I'm still fixated on the small brush.

I'm looking at the Simpson Commodore x1 on leesrazors.com. 20mm Simpson at $65 seems like a deal to me.

I have a slightly used one (6 shaves maybe) if you're interested in an X1. It will come in the original box. I like it, but I keep coming back to 2 or 3 other brushes all the time, so I'm going to put the X1 on the B/S/T soon. A very good off the shelf small brush. The handle is quite ergonomic, too.

-Andy

I went back to my short loft silvertip this morning, and it was like coming home. I guess I'll have to get some pics of the bigger brush and put it up for sale...

Top Bottom