What's new

Cheese

I find enjoying a fine cheese or cheeses to be just as epicurean as smoking a cigar or sipping on my favourite tipple. In fact I have combined all three and it is amazing.
Thanks to globalisation you can now get some great imported cheeses in the supermarket (even in a country area like where I live).
I love Stilton, Roquefort, Gorgonzola and Jarlsberg and have found some Australian cheeses that are also quite superb. The star Australian cheese IMHO is one called 'Red Square', it is a washed rind cheese modelled closely on Epoisse. It can be unopened and stored in a plastic container and it still stinks the whole fridge out, but if you can get past the smell, it has a wonderful earthy taste that is simply outstanding.
I'd be interested to hear if there are any cheese lovers here and if so what your favourite style or type is, how you use it in cooking or what you serve as an accompaniment with it.
From what I've read there are some great cheeses being produced in the US by small dairys.

Pete

I do like a decent bit of cheese. We are lucky in Britain having many classic cheese of our own plus plenty of the quality European cheeses, especially the French stuff.

You mentioned Stilton, my favourite, blue or white, lovely stuff. You can't beat a good ripe Camembert either. nearly got thrown off a morris team tour bus for cracking open a pack of Camembert and tomato sandwiches I'd made the day before! They were humming along with the music.

We have some quality cheesemakers where I live in Gloucestershire. A friend of ours is the guy who makes the Stinking Bishop of Wallace & Gromit fame. Now that does smell! He washes the rind in perry made from the Stinking Bishop pear and that gives it the smell. Again a very pleasant taste and not too strong once you get past the pong!

Gareth

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 on Camembert, I could eat the stuff everyday!

This is not for everyone but I love goat cheese too. There's a producer in Victoria that does it and it's creamy. Goat cheese is usually dry but not that one! Not to forget Feta!

Haloumi, Edam, Gouda, Swiss and Strong cheddars! Awesome!

I like my cheese! Edam, cheddar, Provolone, Camembert, Gorgonzola, Jarlsberg and of course Mozarella

Obtaining artisan cheeses is a bit of a problem here in Singapore. I try to take a few choice old cheeses with me whenever I visit my homecountry, The Netherlands. Last month I brought some mountain goat cheese from Switzerland. Lovely with a few grapes and crackers!

+1 on Camembert, I could eat the stuff everyday!

This is not for everyone but I love goat cheese too. There's a producer in Victoria that does it and it's creamy. Goat cheese is usually dry but not that one! Not to forget Feta!

Haloumi, Edam, Gouda, Swiss and Strong cheddars! Awesome!

Hi Luc. Goat cheese! The first time I saw this stuff I was very doubtful about the whole experience. Then I took a bite and was really hooked. I should be clear. This was not one of the dry crumbly goat cheeses you would normally think of. It is creamy like a very young Brie. Light too. We get it on a fruit and cheese plate at our local brewery/pub and I have tried to find a commercially available version. No luck. I did find a creamy goat cheese last week at the local grocer(I don't know why but for some reason we are getting a lot of artisan cheeses out here in cattle country) and it comes in rind like a brie. Very creamy and if you let it come to room temperature, it slowly glides out the sides like Brie. I think it is right there with a Brie in flavour but a bit milder and delicous on roasted or toasted crackers. The brand escapes me since I chucked the wrapper in the dust bin but if think of it, I will drop by the store and check it again. Likely by purchasing another wedge!

Regards, Todd

I really dig fine Cheddars. A good bit of Keen's or Montgomery is nothing at all like the usual stuff most people get. Of course, there are some excellent American cheddars from Grafton or Shelburne Farms. I also love Italian hard cheeses....Parmigiano Reggiano is in a class alone. I also love aged Gouda.
I wish there was a Whole Foods store in our area. I love visiting their cheese area, especially being able to try the products!

The Washington State University creamery produces a cheese they call Cougar Gold that is excellent if one enjoys a dry, slightly crumbly and very sharp cheese. One of our many vendors sends a can in every year for Christmas, and it doesn't last long once people find out it's there...

I also enjoy a good Brie, and it's almost impossible to beat feta cheese added to a good salad.

Mmmmmmmm . . . cheese! :drool:

I like Jarlsberg as my daily snack cheese---a little pre-dinner or mid-afternoon plate of Jarlsberg, whole grain crackers, mixed nuts, a cornichon or two, a few slices of Italian artisanal meat . . . you betcha.

At family get-togethers my 'job' is to put together the cheese board, and since we're all pretty adventurous, that's where I go to town---Stilton with apricots, Beemster with wild nettles, English cheddars, French chevres, Gorgonzola . . . I'm fortunate in that my local grocery chain opened a 'Plus' branch near me with a fantastic gourmet cheese kiosk.

It's right next to the marinated olives and antipasto kiosk and around the corner from the fine wines. :001_rolle I swear, I can't get out of that store for under $100! :wink2:

NANP™

My favorite cheese is one my son brought home several times when he was working in Amsterdam. He called it 'old cheese'. I've never seen anything comparable here.
Sue

Those aged Goudas bear resemblance to great Parmigiano....good ones have little salt crystals in them. The longer-aged versions start to develop an almost caramel-like note.

Those aged Goudas bear resemblance to great Parmigiano....good ones have little salt crystals in them. The longer-aged versions start to develop an almost caramel-like note.

The "old cheese" from Holland has little salt crystals too. It's worse than trying to eat one potato chip, it is soooo good.
Sue

I feel obligated to put in a plug for the superiority of Wisconsin (ie: Czardom) Cheddar, even though I'm lactose intolerant. :cool:

Last edited:
I pretty much like it all, with less of a preference towards smoked cheeses. I've recently opened up to blue cheeses and now find them to be quite desireable.

I had an assiago in Italy that, while it tasted delicious, we ended up throwing out, because it was making our rental car and hotel mini fridges smell of old socks and burt rubber.

I'm lucky enough in Quebec to be able to get a wide variety of locally produced cheeses that run the gambit of all styles, many of them even made with raw milk. Yum!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hi Luc. Goat cheese! The first time I saw this stuff I was very doubtful about the whole experience. Then I took a bite and was really hooked. I should be clear. This was not one of the dry crumbly goat cheeses you would normally think of. It is creamy like a very young Brie. Light too. We get it on a fruit and cheese plate at our local brewery/pub and I have tried to find a commercially available version. No luck. I did find a creamy goat cheese last week at the local grocer(I don't know why but for some reason we are getting a lot of artisan cheeses out here in cattle country) and it comes in rind like a brie. Very creamy and if you let it come to room temperature, it slowly glides out the sides like Brie. I think it is right there with a Brie in flavour but a bit milder and delicous on roasted or toasted crackers. The brand escapes me since I chucked the wrapper in the dust bin but if think of it, I will drop by the store and check it again. Likely by purchasing another wedge!

Regards, Todd

I'm often by myself to eat the goat cheese. That's all right with me, more for me. I like the dry one, it's nice. Real feta is made of goat milk, not cow milk! I found some parmesan made of goat, it's pretty nice but doesn't beat parmigiano reggiano. I got some that's like a hard cheese, that one is amazing!

There's a company that I saw in Quebec and Australia that makes some soft goat, similar to Brie. I think it's labelled as Boursin. That's stuff on crackers is awesome!

My favorite cheese is one my son brought home several times when he was working in Amsterdam. He called it 'old cheese'. I've never seen anything comparable here.
Sue

Beemster and Vasklaas are what you need to ask for . . . aged Goudas; 12 and 18 months IIRC. Fantastically rich cheeses.

NANP™

Top Bottom