What's new

How much danger is involved in decanting into plastic?

So I've recently decided to decant some of my heavily scented aftershaves and my (one and only :lol:) colologne(s) into cheap plastic spritz bottles. I figured that if I only partially filled the bottles, the product would get used quickly enough that it wouldn't degrade in the plastic during the short period of time (3-6 months) that it would be exposed to the plastic.

Am I right in this assumption, or is the degradation faster than this? Basically how long can I decant a product that was in a glass bottle into a plastic bottle before things start to smell nasty?

I have a couple decants in plastic bottles and have never noticed any problems. I wouldn't use plastic for long periods, though.

I have a couple decants in plastic bottles and have never noticed any problems. I wouldn't use plastic for long periods, though.

Well like I said, it would only be until the product was used up/mostly used up. Then it would be refilled again with fresh product. If I could find cheap glass atomizers I would just go that route...

G

gone down south

Define 'cheap'. Chuck at Badgerdecants sells a nice variety for what I think are decent prices, and he's a member here.

Todays plastics should not pose any problem with alcohol, in the amounts you are considering, don't worry.
Sue

The plastic containers sold for cosmetics are generally HDPE, LDPE, MDPE, PVC and PET. I'm not familiar with polycarbonates for cosmetics, maybe you could find more info using Google.

I honestly don't think it is something to worry about for a small decant.
Sue

Exposure of the cologne/perfume to light and air does more damage than being stored for short periods in plastic.

I wouldn't worry. Though, if it's a real concern, you can find/buy glass atomizers.

actually, nivea sells here a nice squirt (not spray) deodorant for around 2 euros that can be easly taken apart, once the product has been used/discarted, it makes a fine decant, currently holds a azzaro chrome whos valve broke, i cant remember if it was 100ml or 120ml,

but its semi trasnparent smoky blue, so while it does let some light in, its not like transparent colourless glass,

Decanted my Tabac into a 75ml all plastic atomizer after silly me dropped the bottle and broke the cap. Works fine. No side effects so far. Like Sue said, it should be ok.

I have dozens of decants in small plastic bottles, and they are all fine. Some are nearly a year old at this point, with no issues

lol you know that almost every single modern cologne is full of ingredients that are known or suspected carcinogens - mainly related to synthetic musks I believe, and it's tough to find any cologne without a musk note in it, and it's all synthetic these days. You aren't eating it, it's just on the skin and the amounts are very low, but you're still absorbing some of these substances into your body.

You get all sorts of poisons flooding into you everyday just living, but if you're really concerned about that sort of thing, I'd certainly have to say that the cologne itself is probably the greater worry than the plastic in a decant bottle.

lol you know that almost every single modern cologne is full of ingredients that are known or suspected carcinogens - mainly related to synthetic musks I believe, and it's tough to find any cologne without a musk note in it, and it's all synthetic these days. You aren't eating it, it's just on the skin and the amounts are very low, but you're still absorbing some of these substances into your body.

You get all sorts of poisons flooding into you everyday just living, but if you're really concerned about that sort of thing, I'd certainly have to say that the cologne itself is probably the greater worry than the plastic in a decant bottle.

This is a very strong statement. Can you point me to the peer reviewed medical abstracts published in a respected journal such as Elsevier or NEJM that have that conclusion?

I'm not finding anything at either site:
http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/Medicine or http://content.nejm.org/
Sue

From all that I've read, most synthetics are actually replacements for natural ingredients that are carcinogenic, like say, coumarin.

In terms of musks, yes, the synthetic musks are thought to be (although wildly debated, so not proven to be harmful as far as I know) carcinogenic or not exactly good for you. I do remember reading somewhere that many of the manufacturers are moving to a new type of synthetic that is safer.

Besides, when it comes to synthetic musks, I don't think cologne is your biggest worry. The fact of the matter is, that stuff is in EVERYTHING.

Popular colognes with musks as a fixative are a lot less common these days as the mainstream seems to move away from musks, whereas your common every day household goods.. cosmetics, laundry detergent, air freshners, etc, are everywhere and a good portion of them contain synthetic musks

As long as it has the HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) symbol on the bottle it should be fine for anything in a cologne or aftershave.

I read a study that actually said reading studies causes cancer :biggrin: If we want to be completely honest, I doubt seriously the medical establishment has the slightest idea what causes cancer so they seem to use the shotgun approach which basically encompasses...everything!

I read a study that actually said reading studies causes cancer :biggrin: If we want to be completely honest, I doubt seriously the medical establishment has the slightest idea what causes cancer so they seem to use the shotgun approach which basically encompasses...everything!

I heard the cause of cancer was GEM razors, but I could be wrong.:wink::biggrin:

Top Bottom