What's new

First Gem shave = ow!

I recently picked up a Gem G-Bar - which I read is much loved as Gems are in general so I figured I'd get in on this action. I went to Walgreen's and bought the Gem by Personna stainless blades and proceeded to give myself a pretty rough shave with lot's of weepers and razor burn. This is a sad surprise since I regularly get really smooth shaves from the DE - I guess there's a learning curve to these single edge razors. I'm fairly sure I had angle correct. I'm going at it again today with hopefully better results.

Wow! Just wondering if it could be a rough blade in a new pack. Usually the "G" is really a good shaver, once you get the hang of it.

Begin shaving with the surface of the G-Bar's head just off your skin. Vary the angle as needed. Use no pressure. Be sure you have a slick lather.

-Clarke

I think I tried a G Bar many months ago, but with the store blades.

Trying the 1912 Gem with the Ted Pella blades has been a completely different experience.

lots of weepers. :eek: Use a less aggressive angle and you'll get the hang of it.

I recently picked up a Gem G-Bar - which I read is much loved as Gems are in general so I figured I'd get in on this action. I went to Walgreen's and bought the Gem by Personna stainless blades and proceeded to give myself a pretty rough shave with lot's of weepers and razor burn. This is a sad surprise since I regularly get really smooth shaves from the DE - I guess there's a learning curve to these single edge razors. I'm fairly sure I had angle correct. I'm going at it again today with hopefully better results.

I used a feather, push button, a g-bar and got crappy shaves.

A month lather, I put in a pella and now the GEMs are my favourite shavers.

The morals of this story: try different blades and angle.:biggrin:

use the 1912 its my favorite razor :)

and the perdiest :)

the nagle is more comfortable and natural with it than with the other gems, or atleast thats what the pictures and instructions seem to show, to me atleast, lol

Thanks for the advice... I'll get some different blades and won't give up on the Gem yet. I've also now got a Gem Contour... So, if the G-Bar doesn't work out for me, I'm still going to try with the Contour.

You can get a 10 pack of Pellas from Rick Sparks or a very cheap 5 pack from BullGoose (particularly if you can combine the order with other stuff to share shipping costs.

- Chris

Aren't the Ted Pellas an identical blade to the ones labeled "Gem by Personna" in the stores? This was my thinking at least - the only ones I could find locally so far were the Gem Blue Star or the Gem by Personna... I hadn't read anything nice about the Blue Stars. I'm about to go on a road trip - so I'll keep my eyes open for other varieties.

Thanks for the advice... I'll get some different blades and won't give up on the Gem yet. I've also now got a Gem Contour... So, if the G-Bar doesn't work out for me, I'm still going to try with the Contour.

The Contour is a little better for me. I'd say give it a try. There's no use in having a razor that you never give a chance. Heck, I still load a Featherweight on occasion when I feel like a little bloodletting is needed:eek:

Aren't the Ted Pellas an identical blade to the ones labeled "Gem by Personna" in the stores? This was my thinking at least - the only ones I could find locally so far were the Gem Blue Star or the Gem by Personna... I hadn't read anything nice about the Blue Stars. I'm about to go on a road trip - so I'll keep my eyes open for other varieties.

I don't know if there are two types of Gem blades being sold, or what, but the Gem by Persona sold at my local Walgreen's are very different then the blades that came from Ted Pella. They aren't as good of performers, and even a quick look will show you the they have different angles on the edge.

Last edited:
Yeah, don't give up on Gems. For me, the G-Bar shaves very closely. With its relatively large blade gap, I have to stretch my skin pretty tight to avoid nicking myself. The patent 1912s are a lot easier to shave with.

-Clarke

Top Bottom