What's new

Gillette Experts?

For those of you that know, how would you rank the vintage Gillettes according to weight? I like the heavy feel of the red tip I own, but I also have a razor or two that just feel too light. I'm a big guy (6' 4', 240) so, some of the razors feel really small to me. Thanks.

From Various Sources:

65g US Flair Redtip
68g UK Flair Redtip
70g UK Aristocrat Jr
71g US Slim Adjustable
71g UK Rocket HD
72g UK #58
73g UK #21
74g UK #22/#66
78g US Fatboy
80g UK #16
83g US Bottom Dial 195
87g US Toggle

Bottom 6 also have thicker handles .

There's a good start for a RAD shopping list for you :001_smile

You'll see it's a bit Brit oriented because that's what I'm interest in. I'm sure someone can give you some ideas of US razor weights ( have no idea about US Aristocrats, or Diplomats or Presidents )

Whether weight actually equates to a better shave I can't really answer, but I seem to find the heavier shavers give me a better shave ( subjective ??? :tongue_sm)

Last edited:

Whether weight actually equates to a better shave I can't really answer, but I seem to find the heavier shavers give me a better shave ( subjective ??? :tongue_sm)

I've observed that this is the case for me as well. After trying several different SS's and adjustables, I found that the Fatboy did the best job on my coarse, thick growth.

I'd imagine for people with fine, sparse beards the extra weight may not have any noticable advantage, and then razor weight-in-the-hand may be a bigger issue. Of course, anyone (with any type of growth) may like a heavier or lighter razor.

From Various Sources:

65g US Flair Redtip
68g UK Flair Redtip
70g UK Aristocrat Jr
71g US Slim Adjustable
71g UK Rocket HD
72g UK #58
74g UK #22/#66
78g US Fatboy
80g UK #16
83g US Bottom Dial 195
87g US Toggle

Bottom 5 also have "thicker" handles.

There's a good start for a RAD shopping list for you :001_smile

You'll see it's a bit Brit oriented because that's what I'm interest in. I'm sure someone can give you some ideas of US razor weights.

You haven't brought the New Improved, New, or Old type into the conversation. I have a New Standard that feels like it weighs a ton, but I don't know the actual weight. Anybody know? Maybe a New would be just the ticket for the OP.

Great information fidgit! Nice to see that Toggle weighing in as the heavyweight champ!

If your goal is to be the very heaviest, consider a custom Bull Mastiff handle from cooncatbob!

I've observed that this is the case for me as well. After trying several different SS's and adjustables, I found that the Fatboy did the best job on my coarse, thick growth.

I'd imagine for people with fine, sparse beards the extra weight may not have any noticable advantage, and then razor weight-in-the-hand may be a bigger issue. Of course, anyone (with any type of growth) may like a heavier or lighter razor.
What blade are you using though? That matters as well as the weight of the razor.
I found feathers go well with lighter razors, they are sharper and don't need the mass. A lot of people say feathers are great with their tech because it's a mild shaver (blade gap wise). But it may be the short handle and light weight as well that means a feather can work well in such a razor.
My 'zen' monent was using a long plastic handled, light, slim twist when I gripped it from the tip without any pressure (it's impossible to apply pressure with that razor gripped that way). The handle was light (plastic), but long. The only pressure applied was just the weight of the TTO head.

Nevertheless, the feather didn't need any weight/pressure to work anyway as it's so sharp, I just used the leverage of the handle to hold it to me face (long handle, so little leverage required with it's light mass so almost zero effort forced by me).
As I said, that was my 'zen' moment when I finally got it.
And of course the feather blade doesn't work out for some for people. I wondor if they all have heavy long handled razors? A lot of people trying the feathers find the blades too aggressive and leaves them raw or cut.

Last edited:
I have several blades, but have fallen in love with the Astras. When I combined it with the red tip I have, I found a combination I really like. Haven't tried the Feathers, but I hear they are really sharp. I have a '71 black handled TTO that I just feel is too light. Thanks for your imput.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What's the weight of the Lady Gillette, anyone know?
With the long handle it would be great for big hands, it shaves like a SS, and no one in their right mind would say anything about using a Ladies Razor to a guy who's 6'4" and 240lbs.

What's the weight of the Lady Gillette, anyone know?
With the long handle it would be great for big hands, it shaves like a SS, and no one in their right mind would say anything about using a Ladies Razor to a guy who's 6'4" and 240lbs.

The Lady Gillette is 55 grams or around 2.9 1.9 ounces.

Last edited:
Top Bottom