What's new

an interesting new gemographic..

i recently purchased this 1912 gem from DunEdinRanger (the one in the center). ive wanted one for a while being it has an uncommon stamp on the back of the head. thats about all i knew about it, other than it was a 1912. i assumed it had the standard pat. stamping and appropriate comb guard for when it was produced. you cant imagine my suprise when i found a pat. date of 1902 where the handle screws in. you can sort of the the zero in the picture.

error? most likely. from what i have in my pat. copies i dont have anything for the 1912s with a pat. date of 1902.they were still knee deep for the most part in lather catcher wedge blade razors at that time.

if someone finds something otherwise, let me know.

Hmm. I have one just like that except the pat date is 1912. You can make out the pat date on the smaller picture.

I also notice that on both yours and mine the text on the back is crooked, mine more so than yours.

EDIT: Oops! Now I see that the text on the back is different from yours. Mine says "GEM CUTLERY CO" and yours says "GEM SAFETY RAZOR CORP"

Last edited:
Hmm. I have one just like that except the pat date is 1912. You can make out the pat date on the smaller picture.

I also notice that on both yours and mine the text on the back is crooked, mine more so than yours.

EDIT: Oops! Now I see that the text on the back is different from yours. Mine says "GEM CUTLERY CO" and yours says "GEM SAFETY RAZOR CORP"

i really wish i had my damn camera so i could take a clear picture of it. i verified it with 2 other people to make sure i wasnt going crazy :lol:

yours is one of the earliest 1912 models, the first closed comb model to follow the gem deluxe actually.

Even in the pic you posted, a "0" is pretty clear after the "9" in the patent date area, well not a "1" at any rate. Very cool find!

Dave, I'm just a little curious this morning, what info do you have on the actual process for stamping the date an the rest of the info on the heads? In my mind I see a big press with one plate that stamps all the info at once, then the piece gets moved along to another machine that bends the piece, but I'm working on little sleep so I'm also picturing a Looney Toons style factory where a giant tree trunk size piece of metal gets carved down to form one little handle:lol:

Andy,

Your question inspired me to go into Super Macro mode on my two 1912 heads.

View attachment 59043 View attachment 59044

I think it's fair to say that you're assumption is correct (and I would have said so even without the photos). Looney Tunes or not, it would be crazy to try to stamp the sheet metal after forming it, given the choice.

Notice the two different text fonts from the two different eras.

- Chris

Dave, I'm just a little curious this morning, what info do you have on the actual process for stamping the date an the rest of the info on the heads? In my mind I see a big press with one plate that stamps all the info at once, then the piece gets moved along to another machine that bends the piece, but I'm working on little sleep so I'm also picturing a Looney Toons style factory where a giant tree trunk size piece of metal gets carved down to form one little handle:lol:

think an early ford plant :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

and an ad from a 1912 catalouge:

proxy.php

Ah -- the Deluxe is a true open comb. I'll need to keep an eye out for one of those..

It is odd that my older GEM 1900/01 razors all have the bar-capped comb design. Seems like the first GEM 1912 models would have carried that forward. I think it is a superior design. It retains any advantage open combs have but makes them much less fragile.

Last edited:
quite a few of the gem models have that "open closed comb" design, but those rare few that have an open comb are really amazing shavers.

Top Bottom