What's new

European shave kit, help me please!

Evening gents!

So in a few days I will be hitting europe for a minor road trip, France-Italy-Switzerland-Germany-home, and while I'm out there I want to pick up easily available shaving gear. Top of my list of stuff to get is shaveing soap, however other stuff will be considered too!

I would hope to get hold of a Tabac stick, an Irisch Moos Stick, a Speick stick, an Arko stick and anything else you guys reccomend.

However I'm not sure where the best place to get these is or which country contains what?

Also, I beleive Tabac and Irisch Moos are in Germany, but will they be in most pharmacies? Or are they equally available in France?

All advice is appreciated and thank you in advance,

Dave

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Evening gents!

So in a few days I will be hitting europe for a minor road trip, France-Italy-Switzerland-Germany-home, and while I'm out there I want to pick up easily available shaving gear. Top of my list of stuff to get is shaveing soap, however other stuff will be considered too!

I would hope to get hold of a Tabac stick, an Irisch Moos Stick, a Speick stick, an Arko stick and anything else you guys reccomend.

However I'm not sure where the best place to get these is or which country contains what?

Also, I beleive Tabac and Irisch Moos are in Germany, but will they be in most pharmacies? Or are they equally available in France?

All advice is appreciated and thank you in advance,

Dave

I would like to be there when you do a Major road trip! :lol:

I have no idea on what you can find as I never looked for shaving supplies in those countries.

I know that you can find some great soaps in France. I don't think that you can find it in a store but "Martin de Candre" seems to be very expensive and has a lot of appreciation on the French wetshaving forums. Thissard and Plisson have their own soaps. Again, unknown if they are easily available in a chemist, pharmacy, any type of store. I wasn't able to get much information on the subject... If you are using a DE, Gillette Bleue Extra seems to be available anywhere in France!

Good luck on your trip!

Your best chance for finding Tabac, Irisch Moos and Speick is in Germany but not in pharmacies. There is a type of store called a drogherie, which specializes in cosmetics, organic food, etc., which carries them.

In Italy, look out for government-licensed tobacco shops (blue sign with a big white T) that also sell perfumes and you might score a highly-prized tube of the discontinued Noxzema Lather Shave Cream.

Your best chance for finding Tabac, Irisch Moos and Speick is in Germany but not in pharmacies. There is a type of store called a drogherie, which specializes in cosmetics, organic food, etc., which carries them.

In Italy, look out for government-licensed tobacco shops (blue sign with a big white T) that also sell perfumes and you might score a highly-prized tube of the discontinued Noxzema Lather Shave Cream.

Most German department stores stock both Irisch Moos and Tabac in all varieties (soaps, shower gels and AS as well). A good tip are also the DM, Idea or Rossmann drugstore chains. If you are in a bigger city, there will certainly be a shaving store with a wide range of Dovo and/or Mühle brushes, they usually also stock the complete Merkur range at very competetive prices.
As for Arko, try to find a Turkish supermarket in any not too small town, they usually carry it as well as Derby blades. Sometimes small Turkish neighbourhood stores have it as well.

Last edited:
Don't forget to score some Palmolive shaving sticks while you are in Germany.
When you are there look for the Schlecker stores; they don't have that much but what they have costs next to nothing.

Don't forget to score some Palmolive shaving sticks while you are in Germany.
When you are there look for the Schlecker stores; they don't have that much but what they have costs next to nothing.

Palmolive I have, it's easily available in britain. :biggrin:

Thanks for all the great advice guys, keep it coming please!

In Germany it depends on the town you're visiting. If you're rather north go to 'real' or 'Edeka'/'Aktiv' and maybe you'll find a stick of Tabac and Irisch Moos. If you're going south I don't have any clue. Speick and Arko sticks are hard to find - Arko is sold exclusively in Turkish/Arabian stores.

You really ought to try some of the French soaps. Institute Karite, Provance Sante, and Pre de Provance are excellent. And, of course, a Plisson brush.

Top Bottom