What's new

Google OS

Have any of you heard? Google is planning on creating an operating system (OS). This seems like a plan to directly challenge Microsoft. After all, Google's search engine is Microsoft's MSN's nightmare.

What do you all think? Will it be any good?

I'm predicting it'll have a fair run, but then Mac and Linux will end up running it out of business.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If I can get my essentials running on it, then, why not (Word, Firefox, MSN, Skype)

I heard an interview on the radio about it. Supposedly it is mainly meant for internet use, in applications such as a netbook. The impression I got was that it was like a part time boxer, where as Microsoft was still the heavy weight champion.

Hmm...I have a netbook that I use daily in the car for work. I'd love to give it a whirl if it streamlines things a bit. Most of what Google does I end up liking. Google411 is great, I use it all the time on my cell. I'll probably give Google Chrome a try this coming weekend.

I plan to give it a try as part of a netbook. For the majority of my time I only need net access and entertainment software(MP3, video, PDF, JPG etc). For any heavy use I'll probably need to keep windows around.

The new Google Chrome browser sure it pretty slick.. Just installed it now, and testing it out on B&B ;) Still beta, but operates well, and less bulky than other options.

Have any of you heard? Google is planning on creating an operating system (OS). This seems like a plan to directly challenge Microsoft. After all, Google's search engine is Microsoft's MSN's nightmare.

What do you all think? Will it be any good?

I'm predicting it'll have a fair run, but then Mac and Linux will end up running it out of business.
Whether Apple, or speficially OS X will compete with a Google OS is yet to be seen. Google OS won't exactly be competing with Linux since it IS a Linux kernel with a customized window manager (instead of xwindows running gnome or KDE). It could compete with other Linux distros like Ubuntu, certainly.

If I can get my essentials running on it, then, why not (Word, Firefox, MSN, Skype)
If there are Linux versions of the programs you run, or if they can be run in WINE then the possibility exists, although not a certainty. If they don't... probably not.

Can I run it on my Mac? :biggrin:
Mac hardware = PC hardware, so probably!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I remember WINE when I was running Linux... Mmm, all right, I think there might be a few good things to look at in that new OS!

From most of what I've heard and read it is supposed to be a direct shot across the bow at MS. They still have a ways to go yet. My question is, how do they expect to really take it to MS, what makes them think they can make a dent? They managed to stay on top of things through the Vista fiasco, and now that they've got their legs under them again, it's going to be that much harder.

From most of what I've heard and read it is supposed to be a direct shot across the bow at MS. They still have a ways to go yet. My question is, how do they expect to really take it to MS, what makes them think they can make a dent? They managed to stay on top of things through the Vista fiasco, and now that they've got their legs under them again, it's going to be that much harder.
Yes. Google may be good at many things, but building and marketing OS's is not their forte. Never rule out Microsoft.

Google is definitely trying to go for Microsoft's jugular. It isn't a bad strategy for them because they get to try compete for marketshare on Microsoft's bread-and-butter product, and they can also use it as a direct delivery vehicle for their net-based applications.

As to actually competing effectively, you can bet that they're going to aim for supremacy on the netbook market. Most OEM's are sticking to either WinXP or Linux on their netbooks because they have much lower comparative specs than a full laptop or desktop you'd buy today. Vista is practically useless on them. Win7 will release with a trimmed-down version designed to run better on netbooks, but it has some significant limitations on it, like restricting the number of programs you can run at any given time. XP runs much better on it of course, being that it's nearly a 10yr old OS. A Linux-based OS will be a much MUCH more secure environment than XP while bringing a full-featured OS to the table that won't overly stress the machine.

If this competition makes Netbooks more affordable, I'm all for it! :w00t:

EDITED to add:

Most OEM's are sticking to either WinXP or Linux on their netbooks because they have much lower comparative specs than a full laptop or desktop you'd buy today. Vista is practically useless on them. Win7 will release with a trimmed-down version designed to run better on netbooks, but it has some significant limitations on it, like restricting the number of programs you can run at any given time. XP runs much better on it of course, being that it's nearly a 10yr old OS.

Amusingly enough, I just bought a refurbished XP machine for my five year old son.

Last edited:
I'll give is a shot on my netbook when it is released, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll preface this by saying that I am a full fledged Google fan/devotee, but I absolutely hate the concept of cloud computing, and the Chrome OS would take us one step closer. As it is now, I open up a browser and surf the web when I want to, and when I need to do work, I close everything else. With a cloud OS such as chrome, if I'm doing work, I don't want to see instant email notifications, pop ups, etc, as I'm trying to work.

In addition, they have yet to mention how Google's AdSense is going to tie into this... the last thing that I want is to start seeing advertisements in my OS. We're already bombarded with them, i don't need ads on my desktop.

But again, I love Google, and only time will tell.......:confused:

I'll give is a shot on my netbook when it is released, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll preface this by saying that I am a full fledged Google fan/devotee, but I absolutely hate the concept of cloud computing, and the Chrome OS would take us one step closer. As it is now, I open up a browser and surf the web when I want to, and when I need to do work, I close everything else. With a cloud OS such as chrome, if I'm doing work, I don't want to see instant email notifications, pop ups, etc, as I'm trying to work.

In addition, they have yet to mention how Google's AdSense is going to tie into this... the last thing that I want is to start seeing advertisements in my OS. We're already bombarded with them, i don't need ads on my desktop.

But again, I love Google, and only time will tell.......:confused:

Edging us ever closer to Minority Report, eh?

Hey guys. Late as usual to the fray but I just did a bit of well...googling for this os. Personally, I think they will have a very good shot at pulling this off. Now let me say I am not a pc guru though I seem to constantly use one but mostly for web, etc. You know. The average putz user who really does not get into the nuts and bolts of the innards of an OS. I am also unsure about the cloud computing thing.

Here is why I think this may just be quite successful. For years now I have thought that computers, just like colour teles, quickly morphed from an expensive status symbol to a another nuisance that we all cannot seem to do without. Now a pc is way more functional than a tele but you ge the drift. For about 25 years now there has been a roughly $500 "magic window" that most consuemrs are very comfortable with when it comes to electronics. They know that putting any real repair money into them is a waste. You will quickly spend as much as a replacement unit. So they look at them as disposable in a way. If it works for 3-5 years they are happy. It is exactly why the netbook format took off like a shot when most tech gurus were panning them. Consumers see them as a utility device that does a LOT of what they need on a daily basis. A true replacement for PDAs and a great alternative for chunky laptops AND it surfs the web with a VISIBLE screen to boot. My wife has HP netbook with 8.9 screen and she loves it. $299 at BestBuy. It runs XP. If what I am seeing on the web is right, MS just shot themselves in the foot with Win7 and netbooks. Allegedly it is very restrictive in netbook use. This is where a Google Chrome OS or somehing similar could really kick arse. People are just flat out tired of paying for operating systems. I think if MS would have kept a RETAIL price for their OS products under a c note and upgrades at $39 they would never have to worry about Linux again. I really hope that Google or Ubuntu or some Linux distro really makes a big splash for this application. I am telling you, people are tired of paying any real money for a device they see as essentially a souped up cell phone and internet device. Which is how they view most pcs. I am not talking about taking over from MS. There is room for everyone in this market and I think people are closer than ever to viewing(I am not addressing the right or wrong of the debate) OS's just like they do a browser. It had better be DANGED special to get them to pay for it. It is coming to that I think. And in some ways rightly so. It is one thing for MS and Apple to command premium pricing for full fledged work station/application machines. It is quite another to ask that kind of money for someone who uses a device just like they do a PDA. They ain't buying it. Witness the huge influx of sub $500 laptops in the last year. Like I said, I am certainly no prognositicator so take this all with a big grain of salt. I just know what I hear when I talk to coworkers and friends. PCs are just tools to them. Sometimes useful and other times a giant PITA.

Regards, Todd

Hey guys. Late as usual to the fray but I just did a bit of well...googling for this os. Personally, I think they will have a very good shot at pulling this off. Now let me say I am not a pc guru though I seem to constantly use one but mostly for web, etc. You know. The average putz user who really does not get into the nuts and bolts of the innards of an OS. I am also unsure about the cloud computing thing.

Here is why I think this may just be quite successful. For years now I have thought that computers, just like colour teles, quickly morphed from an expensive status symbol to a another nuisance that we all cannot seem to do without. Now a pc is way more functional than a tele but you ge the drift. For about 25 years now there has been a roughly $500 "magic window" that most consuemrs are very comfortable with when it comes to electronics. They know that putting any real repair money into them is a waste. You will quickly spend as much as a replacement unit. So they look at them as disposable in a way. If it works for 3-5 years they are happy. It is exactly why the netbook format took off like a shot when most tech gurus were panning them. Consumers see them as a utility device that does a LOT of what they need on a daily basis. A true replacement for PDAs and a great alternative for chunky laptops AND it surfs the web with a VISIBLE screen to boot. My wife has HP netbook with 8.9 screen and she loves it. $299 at BestBuy. It runs XP. If what I am seeing on the web is right, MS just shot themselves in the foot with Win7 and netbooks. Allegedly it is very restrictive in netbook use. This is where a Google Chrome OS or somehing similar could really kick arse. People are just flat out tired of paying for operating systems. I think if MS would have kept a RETAIL price for their OS products under a c note and upgrades at $39 they would never have to worry about Linux again. I really hope that Google or Ubuntu or some Linux distro really makes a big splash for this application. I am telling you, people are tired of paying any real money for a device they see as essentially a souped up cell phone and internet device. Which is how they view most pcs. I am not talking about taking over from MS. There is room for everyone in this market and I think people are closer than ever to viewing(I am not addressing the right or wrong of the debate) OS's just like they do a browser. It had better be DANGED special to get them to pay for it. It is coming to that I think. And in some ways rightly so. It is one thing for MS and Apple to command premium pricing for full fledged work station/application machines. It is quite another to ask that kind of money for someone who uses a device just like they do a PDA. They ain't buying it. Witness the huge influx of sub $500 laptops in the last year. Like I said, I am certainly no prognositicator so take this all with a big grain of salt. I just know what I hear when I talk to coworkers and friends. PCs are just tools to them. Sometimes useful and other times a giant PITA.

Regards, Todd

Nice post :thumbsup:

Top Bottom