What's new

Sample Pack

I'm curious to as what you guys think the best sample pack available. I've visited westcoastshaving and they've got some nice stuff but I'm currently just browsing and comparing sample packs and prices.

I'm currently using the Gillette Super Stainless blades in my Gillette SS which are the only ones available any store I go to (wal-mart, Shoppers Drugmart etc). Although I've got decent shaves from them they feel like they tug at my beard (read one post that called them recycled beer cans lol) and I'm feeling the need to experiment.

So guys I'm putting this to you. As a newbie what do you guys recommend for me to sample? I know YMMV so that's why I'm looking at a sample pack. And are there any blades that would work well in my Gillette SS?

Thanks a bunch guys.

I don't know about the best available but my 'must try' will be:
(not necessarily in this order)

Feathers, Gillette 7 O'clock (yellow), Red Personna (Israel), Derby, Astra Super Platinum, Iridium, Walmart Personna, Dorco.

Priority #1, I'd grab the largest sample pack from WCS.

The only other place I know of where you can get several razors--and someone can help me out with others I'm not thinking of right now--is The Shave Den store. They don't have a sample pack, but you can order a pack each of several blades that WCS doesn't carry.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I don't know about the best available but my 'must try' will be:
(not necessarily in this order)

Feathers, Gillette 7 O'clock (yellow), Red Personna (Israel), Derby, Astra Super Platinum, Iridium, Walmart Personna, Dorco.

That's a very complete list...

If you can get your hands on Kai, Supermax and Bic, that can be nice!

I like from blades in production currently: Israeli Personna, Blue Label Personna US, Astra, Wilkinson (Germany).

Thanks a bunch guys. In my browsing online I noticed that WCS has pretty much the best bang for my buck along with it's price and what blades are included. Just gotta wait one more week for pay day...

Thanks a bunch guys. In my browsing online I noticed that WCS has pretty much the best bang for my buck along with it's price and what blades are included. Just gotta wait one more week for pay day...

Ya, there are plenty of other sample packs out there, but most of them contain a lot of "throw away" brands.
I'd avoid the (Large) sample pack from WCS. It only has 5 types of blades and gives you 10 of each.
I think packs of 5 are Ideal for a sampler because you're only going to use 1-2 blades to figure out if they work for you or not, and you don't want to get stuck with 8+ blades of multiple types that just don't work.

A good cross section to look for would be:
Feather
Wilkinson Sword
Crystal
Derby
Redpack IP

You could create this cross section with the economy sampler and then just add a pack of Feather/Wilkinson's for $14 total from WCS.

I think pretty much everyone will be able to find a blade that they like out of that set.
The absolute perfect blade for you might not be in that set, but after trying a couple of each you'll have a very good idea of which 'types' of blades work for you and which don't.
(is sharper better? does a smooth blade matter more to you? Which coating agrees with you the best? etc...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom