What's new

Brushless cream

Cruious if one exists.........My father would love to acheive better shave but will not use a brush or DE so I thought a weighted trac and a good brushless cream would be in order but need some advice.

Greetings Sean,
There was quite a to do about a cream named Cremo Cream. It is purported to be reasonably good with or without a brush. I do NOT know. One that I will suggest you bypass is, Georgio Men's Shave Cream. Smells great, does NOT work well with or without a brush. I bought it by mistake thinking it was a shaving cream requiring a brush. My error. :thumbdown

Hi Sean

I have just launched a cream that matches exactly what your father is looking for. I have been unable to visit the forums of late being so tied up with it I haven't even had time to introduce myself over here at B&B so apologies for that.

Sean,

For brushless creams, I use either Molle, Clubman Foam, Neutrogena Foam Gel or Neutrogena Razor Defence Shave Cream.

Another alternative is PSO, water and a Bic Sensitive or Metal.

Can't get simpler than that.

Cheers,

Richard
Up the Road in Plano

Ill set him up......thanx......any one have expereince with the merkur trac blades...or are sensors just as good.

I do not like to travel with my wet shaving rig so I use a brushless preparation and a Sensor when I'm out of town. My favorite is gel product that was developed by a local barber. It has tea tree extract in it which gives it a minty/eucalyptus sensation similar to Proraso. It is called "Face Tools" and is available from www.appearancesformen.com

The Sensor is hands down the best cartridge razor IMHO. I find the Mach 3 difficult to control and downright clumsy to use on the lower neck. Plus the blades are more expensive.

Brett G said:
I do not like to travel with my wet shaving rig so I use a brushless preparation and a Sensor when I'm out of town. My favorite is gel product that was developed by a local barber. It has tea tree extract in it which gives it a minty/eucalyptus sensation similar to Proraso. It is called "Face Tools" and is available from www.appearancesformen.com

The Sensor is hands down the best cartridge razor IMHO. I find the Mach 3 difficult to control and downright clumsy to use on the lower neck. Plus the blades are more expensive.

From my own experience sensor is the best......I love proraso........How much use do you get out of a bottle of that stuff.

Brett:

Do you know the ingredients for the Face Tools wash/shave gel ? and how effective is it compared to brush/cream ? Have you used it with a DE or single blade razor system ? Any feedback you can provide is appreciated. BTW, the company seems very progressive as they sell some fine skin care products, ie Colorescience and Vitaman.

Thanks,
Chris

Sean,
I'm not sure how long it lasts if used daily. I still have about a quarter left of my first bottle (3.7oz). I only use it when I travel; however, I have given samples of it to several friends who are not interested in wet shaving but wanted to try something different. If I had to venture a guess I'd say you can probably get at least 3 months of daily use out of it.

Chris,
The ingredients are;
Purified water, disodium cocoamphodiacetate, coamidopropyl betaine, sorbitol, glycerine, yucca schidigera extract, allantoin, camellia sinensis leat extract, licorice (glycyrrhiza glabra) root extract, chaparral extract, cactus extract, sumac extract, aloe barbadensis gel, pricky pear extract, cherimoya extract, mullein extract, acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, xanthan gum, panthenol, tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, wild thyme oil, sage oil, copper PCA, butylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, ethylparaben, potassium hydroxide, propylparaben, butylparaben, tetrasodium EDTA.

This stuff works very well brushless with a cartridge razor. Obviously that is not my preferred method of shaving, but it is perfectly acceptable for short durations. I have not tried it brushless with a DE. My instincts tell me that it would be less than great.

What I have done is used it in a Wet Method environment and it worked surprisingly well. I just replaced HydroLast with Face Tools and did everything else exactly the same. It hydrates very well and cuts beautifully. The velocity is lower than with HydroLast but it basically works the same. I have not used it in this manner for an extended period of time (at least 2 weeks) so I don't know if it has the sustainability of HydroLast.

I've been using Cremo-Cream pretty regularly since He Who Must Not Be Named wrote about it, and I love the stuff. For closeness and soft skin post-shave, only Proraso comes close. If they had more scents (and they were at least half decent), I'd have to seriously consider using nothing but CC.

The only drawback for travel is that it comes in a pretty honkin' big tube, so you'd have to squirt some into another container. And there's only the one Jimmy Buffet acid trip scent, so you'd want to be sure you're OK with it before committing for several days in a row.

Dave C

I've put an offer in The Marketplace with regard to Ultra Shave cream. It's a limited offer but an offer nonetheless!

I tried a sample of baxter shave cream tonite and was quite satisfied with the results......any one else have good results with this. I would almost consider taking this and a trac razor with me out to sea.

Adding to an old thread:

I tried Neutrogena MEN Skin Clearing Shave Cream while on a business trip. I used my Merkur HD with Merkur blade and experienced a smooth, comfortable and nick-free shave. It doesn't replace the experience of rich lather, but it delivers a great close shave.

Rinse often with warm/hot water while shaving to clear out hair-logged cream remnants on the blade. The fragrance is mild and does not interfere with cologne.

I paid five dollars and change for a 5.1 oz tube. Judging by how little is used each time, the tube will last a *long* time.

I never thought I would like a non-lathering cream. This changed my mind. It is in the rotation to stay.

G

gone down south

Pretty much any cream can be applied with fingers instead of brush, I think. It just won't lather up as nicely.

I tried a sample of baxter shave cream tonite and was quite satisfied with the results......any one else have good results with this. I would almost consider taking this and a trac razor with me out to sea.

Baxter is a cream that will always stay in my lineup. ALthough it doesn't lather, they recommend using a shave brush to apply the cream. Brush or not, I get BBS everytime I use Baxters :)

Gentlemen,

The only brushless cream I have used in the past few years has been while squeezed for time on my travels. That shave cream is Caswell-Massey's Dr. Hunter. It may not work for everybody, but it works well for me. I highly recommend it.

Regards,

Obelit

If you have a couple tubes around, try it an report. I've never seen the palmolive. Is the palmolive a non-lathering cream like the Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shave Cream? The Neutrogena was different for me because it is not meant to lather at all, instead acting as thin shaving lube without any lather. That is why it is not the same as just applying a standard shave cream by hand.

I *like* lather, so when I get home from my trip I will try it for "second passes" on areas which still feel rough after a first pass with the lathering soap or cream of my choice.

Pretty much any cream can be applied with fingers instead of brush, I think. It just won't lather up as nicely.

+1

I spent the first 6 months of my wet-shaving odyssey without using a brush, first using Proraso, then Cremo, then a whole bunch of other creams. I had a few brushes, but it just seemed so much easier to proceed without one.

I haven't found a cream yet that can't be applied without a brush ... and incidentally, you can hand-lather soaps, too. I've done it with MWF, L'Occ Cade, Williams, Ogallala Bay Rum Stick and a few others.

I can't tell much difference in the lather whether its made by hand or by brush. Some products, like the Bay Rum Stick, do much better by hand.

Top Bottom