What's new

Want a new brush, Kent, Rooney,HELP!

OK, so I am looking for a new smaller brush. I have been reading threads until my eyes hurt and I still can't decide. I have been looking at the Kent BK4 and the Rooney 1/1 in super. I mostly use creams and I really want something new. The Kent looks nice, my only concerns are that I have never ordered anything from England before and I am not sure what to expect. I also like the Rooney and feel that it is important to support vendors, like Jim, that support B&B. I am also open to any suggestions that are in the same price range. Any advice is appreciated.

TIA

Eric

Many people find the BK4 to floppy.
I must say, it's two quite different brushes you can't decide between...

I just got a Kent BK8 from Auravita and it was an easy transaction, so don't let that out you off.

I also have a Rooney, 3/2 in super silvertip.

I love them both, but if I could only have one, it would be the Rooney.

I woudn't buy direct from England, they have such poor standards.

I think you should buy a brush made in America.

Many people find the BK4 to floppy.
I must say, it's two quite different brushes you can't decide between...

I just got a Kent BK8 from Auravita and it was an easy transaction, so don't let that out you off.

I also have a Rooney, 3/2 in super silvertip.

I love them both, but if I could only have one, it would be the Rooney.

I agree: they are very different brushes, and both are very good. I owned a Kent BK4, also from Auravita, and enjoyed it. Other than a slight shipping delay, I got a great brush at a great price, about 30% off at the time, now closer to 40% I think. Disclaimer: I finally traded the BK4 away to get a B&B Essential, which was out of production. (Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.)

I do tend to like denser brushes, and I still own my Rooney 3/1. I have, and do, recommend the BK4 to those who are targetting a brush around $50ish that could stretch up to $60, but really can't stretch all the way to $75. (Budget constraints can be very real.) But, if you can to $75, I would side with those recommending the Rooney in Super.

I forgot to quote the Shavemac recommendation, but it's in the middle of these two brushes in terms of density, and for me, it's the perfect fit. Also strongly recommended!

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I think I will go with the Rooney from Vintage Blades. I am still learning and appreciate that so many members are willing to spend time to help out.

I forgot to quote the Shavemac recommendation, but it's in the middle of these two brushes in terms of density, and for me, it's the perfect fit. Also strongly recommended!

Yes, this is what I'm leaning towards too. My Taylors (Vulfix) is too floppy, my Rooney 3/1 is too dense. Something in the middle would be great! :biggrin:

John

Top Bottom