What's new

Just finalized and closed:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
...... with 4 acres ..... our baby daughter will be born any day now. We bought this place primarily for our children (we have a 2 year old son) to be raised in a good school district and away from the city.
DL

Congratulations mate, there's nothing like living far away from the maddening crowd. Kids had the last 11 years living on 5 acres of grass and Australian bush. Much is the pity we had to move closer to the city because of our kids school, extra curricular activities and social activities ( youngest 11, oldest 15 ). There was insufficient public transport ( albeit that "country" down here is 20km from the CBD :001_tt2:)

The kids will fondly remember living on the 5 acres though, we had a river and swimming hole out the back and a wide variety of wildlife, possums, roos, bandicoots, Tasmanian Devils :001_smile

While we're still not inner city dwellers strangely enough the thing I really miss the most about acreage ( besides NO neighbours in sight and being able to sit on the front verandah in the morning in my underpants with my coffee and smoke ( though I can still do that but not sure how long before the Police turn up :001_tt2: )) is the fact that it's never truly dark what with all the houses and streetlights. Going outside into total darkness and looking up at the stars on a clear night is something that can never be replaced.

Well done sir, better stop buying razors and make sure you get the littleun a mini bike. I'd PIF you one but somehow I think the postage might negate any savings. :001_tt2:

Last edited:
Wow! That's an awful lot of lawn to mow. Glad its not me. I spent every Saturday for years mowing the lawn and, at the end, I wished that I had planted a cash crop instead since the only difference between me and a farmer was that we both had to plant it, fertilize and cut it but that, at the end, he got to sell it and I got to pay someone to take it away!

Beautiful house, enjoy your life there.

Last edited:
It's nice to see a home buying thread that's actually about buying a home. :smile:

Congratulations on the new place. I like the front yard!

Congratulations on the purchase of your new home sir. I wish you much happiness.

Where are those pictures of the new shave den?????....:biggrin:

Ray, I definately have more room in the new master bath. I am looking forward to setting up the den and seeing what I can come up with. I'll post pics soon!

Congratulations, these stories make a new homebuyer like myself feel that it is possible!

- Aaron

Aaron, we didn't think it was possible either with the current economic condition. We heard all kinds of storoes about banks tightening up. We found out this: if your credit rating is in good order, you CAN get into a home. Right now is a good time to find good deals on existing homes as we found out. Initially we wanted to build but were able to get this at a real bargain. Good luck to you Aaron!

The kids will fondly remember living on the 5 acres though, we had a river and swimming hole out the back and a wide variety of wildlife, possums, roos, bandicoots, Tasmanian Devils :001_smile

Going outside into total darkness and looking up at the stars on a clear night is something that can never be replaced.

Well done sir, better stop buying razors and make sure you get the littleun a mini bike. I'd PIF you one but somehow I think the postage might negate any savings. :001_tt2:

Haha! Thank you for the PIF offer! We will have racoons, possums, deer, and unfortunately rattlesnakes. I'll trade you a few racoons for a few wombats, though!:smile: Looking forward to the stars on a clear Texas night.

Congratulations!!! That is a sweet looking spread. So, what kind of tractor are you going to buy?

Well I want a Cub Cadet zero radius. The reality of it is though, I am currently looking for a good second hand regular riding mower for under a grand. Any brand recommendations?

Again gents, thank you for all the well wishes!!!

DL

Well I want a Cub Cadet zero radius. The reality of it is though, I am currently looking for a good second hand regular riding mower for under a grand. Any brand recommendations?

Dustin,

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and can do your own maintenance I would recommend a large frame garden tractor from Simplicity or Allis Chalmers. A 7116, 7117 or 7119 Simplicity w/ a 48" deck would work just fine. AC equivalents are AC916, AC917 and AC919. Sometimes you'll see an "H" behind the model number. That denotes they are hydrostatic. Attachments are available and parts can still be had through a dealer. These machines can be had for under a grand very easily. Take in mind that they are all at least 20 years old and can be finicky, though. www.simpletractors.com is a good source of info for these machines.

Whatever you decide I would recommend a garden tractor versus a lawn tractor or even a ZTR. You're going to find that you'll want to do more than cut grass. With that much property and the horse barn, I'm guessing you'll probably end up wanting something w/ a front end loader (FEL).

HTH,

Steve.

Dustin, congratulations on the beautiful ranch! I know your little boy and soon to be born baby girl, will love growing up there. :thumbup:

Top Bottom