What's new

What is the best selling shaving soap worldwide?

I have wondered this for a while...

Within the worldwide niche shaving soap market which brand sells the most units (pucks) of shaving soap from a business/accounting perspective?

Any thoughts?

My first instinct tells me Tabac but I don't know for sure. Maybe I have been biased since it seems so popular on this forum.

Perhaps someone here works within this market and might be able to shed some official light on this.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Mmm, I do not know where you can get those figures... However, I might go with something a bit cheaper like Wilkinson sword, Proraso or Col. Conk.

Good point. In the U.S. Williams and VDH have the widest availability and are dirt cheap. However, worldwide they are relatively small.

Could it be the humble Proraso or palmolive shave stick? They seem to be available in a lot of countries?

I'd have to guess Williams Mug Soap due to the availabilty and low priced nature.

I agree. I think there are more men out there that use a brush/mug soap than we realize. They are, like I was most of my adult life, just out to save some money and enjoy using the brush for its exfoliating effect. I shaved that way for years with Williams and Colgate oblivious to "boutique" or "import" shaving soaps. I never did lather creams either. Why else would many, many stores still carry shaving soaps? It's for those guys, not us. Just because men don't post here, that doesn't mean they're unconverted saps addicted to canned goo.

It's proabably a shave stick. I know older men that use a cartridge that use shave sticks still. They don't bother with a brush, but they don't like canned goo.

Something that sells well in India and China.
+1 Even the sales of Europe and north America combined can be too less because there/here most of the men shave with trash. In '3rd world countries' much more traditional products are in use though the market for goo is expanding.

My guess, Palmolive - both in stick and tube form.

Remember that the population of the muslim countries around the Mediterranean from Turkey to Morocco is greater than the population of the US.
It is these countries, along with the rest of Africa and the Indian sub-continent, that are the true home of DE shaving. In these countries Palmolive is by far the biggest and most commonly available brand.

You are talking about 3 billion people in these areas.

Talking of population, I guess unless China has a soap like Williams, it would be the Godrej Shave Round from India. This is the only shave soap in India and targetted at the lower income group who cannot afford a shaving cream.

Hence a cheap DE blade and Godrej Shave Round would be the cheapest shaving option for most people in India, compared to the Godrej lanolin enriched shaving cream, this is almost 3x less priced and gives a great and decent shave.

My guess, Palmolive - both in stick and tube form.

Remember that the population of the muslim countries around the Mediterranean from Turkey to Morocco is greater than the population of the US.
It is these countries, along with the rest of Africa and the Indian sub-continent, that are the true home of DE shaving. In these countries Palmolive is by far the biggest and most commonly available brand.

You are talking about 3 billion people in these areas.

I'd disagree beaker, the most popular soap and most widely available soap in these muslim countries is Arko, almost all of the barbers in the middle east use Arko, palmolive is not as widely avalable as Arko and also the tallow in Arko is halal as being produced in a muslim country -Turkey, animals slaughtered for consumption are slaughtered in this manner, palmolive would'nt use halal tallow as mainly for the european market. I would say therefore that Arko is the most widely sold shaving soap world wide.

I'd disagree beaker, the most popular soap and most widely available soap in these muslim countries is Arko, almost all of the barbers in the middle east use Arko, palmolive is not as widely avalable as Arko and also the tallow in Arko is halal as being produced in a muslim country -Turkey, animals slaughtered for consumption are slaughtered in this manner, palmolive would'nt use halal tallow as mainly for the european market. I would say therefore that Arko is the most widely sold shaving soap world wide.

Just what I was thinking; Arko might indeed be it. But there is still India and China to consider, both countries with a lot of wetshavers and only a few muslims and I don't have a clue what soaps they are using.

+1 Even the sales of Europe and north America combined can be too less because there/here most of the men shave with trash. In '3rd world countries' much more traditional products are in use though the market for goo is expanding.

Yes, these were my original thoughts on this. I believe that what we call "traditional" wet shaving is the most popular method worldwide even though it is small in N. America and Europe. It makes sense that whatever is the most widely available shaving soap in the "rest" of the world besides Europe and N. America would be the largest seller.

It seems like Arko might be the answer here?

I have wondered this for a while...

Within the worldwide niche shaving soap market which brand sells the most units (pucks) of shaving soap from a business/accounting perspective?

Any thoughts?

My first instinct tells me Tabac but I don't know for sure. Maybe I have been biased since it seems so popular on this forum.

Perhaps someone here works within this market and might be able to shed some official light on this.

I think palmolive stick, and wilkinson soap

It seems like Arko might be the answer here?

Around the Middle East probably but in total volume my guess is that it would be an unknown Chinese brand from a factory (formerly?) owned by the state and selling for just a few cents. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't even export the stuff.

I wouldn't think any of the American or English brands would come close. I would definitely gander a mass produced and cheap soap is the winner as disposable income is not wide spread. As was pointed out by another post a lot of people can't afford the canned stuff. I guess that is one positive. I am grateful that I can have my own little shave den with a variety of good products. I'd go with Arko also.

Top Bottom