What's new

The Body Shop Sale!

Not Bath & Body Works, which for some reason, the two get mistaken for each other. To digress, I worked at The Body Shop a long time ago, and once got a phone call from a woman screaming at me about not recieving her application. Turns out she called the wrong store:rolleyes: the worst part, even after I told her she called the wrong store, she thought she could try to get a job from me after yelling for two minutes.

Anyway, my wife (Who's awesome, BTW) just went to the one in G-Town and got me a couple of full sized tubes of the "classic" shave cream for $3 a piece(!). We went there just after the change to the new cream last year, and they were "sold out." What a crock. Turns out they put them in the back for half a year.

I hope spreading the word doesn't kill my chances of getting more, because I'm going back Thursday to pick up some more, and there are quite a few people from the DC area that are regular posters here. I know a lot of the other stores really did sell out of the old cream during their last sale, so PM me if you would like me to try and pick up one for you.

I really love the Body Shop cream, and don't feel like it gets as much credit around here as it should. Well, maybe credit isn't the right word...I should say, it doesn't get as much word of mouth as it should, in my opinion.

Agree. This really is a fine cream. I like the scent of the older formula. I picked up a couple of tubes myself a week ago. I bought a couple of tubs the last time it was on clearance.

Dave

Another Body Shop cream fan here. I'll have to swing by the local store to see if any are available in my neck of the woods.

Well I have not used the Classic Shave Cream, but I am currently using the Maca Root and love it - it seems to be getting mixed reviews but I love the scent and the lather is nice and creamy...

I like the Maca Root from time to time... I do like the different scent as I'm not into the "traditional" english scents as much.

I've never tried the original. I have some Maca Root (the current formulation) and it's a very nice cream. I don't really like the smell, but I don't hate it, either, and it gives me a good shave.

I really love the Body Shop cream, and don't feel like it gets as much credit around here as it should. Well, maybe credit isn't the right word...I should say, it doesn't get as much word of mouth as it should, in my opinion.
+1. I attribute this to the scent (both old and new), which is just as much hit and miss with shavers in general as is the scent of Tabac. However, given the facts that this cream is high quality and readily available and reasonably priced (calculating backwards to amount per 100 ml), it's odd that not more gents are using it. Obviously if it wasn't obtained via some obscure website or a complex PIF trade, it cannot be good :).

That said, I searched two Amsterdam TBS stores the moment I saw the sale online, but they had zilch in the old shaving products' department. Truly absolutely nothing. I was pretty depressed as I'd been hoping to stock up some more. Perhaps they still have some 'in the back'---I didn't ask as it was fairly busy in said shops.

Last edited:
I called the local The Body Shop, in Champaign, IL, and they had none of the "old" cream on sale...or even for sale for that matter. The description on their website said it had a sandalwood scent. This is why I'm interested---I love Sandalwood!

I called the local The Body Shop, in Champaign, IL, and they had none of the "old" cream on sale...or even for sale for that matter. The description on their website said it had a sandalwood scent. This is why I'm interested---I love Sandalwood!

Uh, I wouldn't call it a sandalwood sent at all. I like it but it's more like citrus and fireplace ashes.

I've never tried the old stuff, but I love the new stuff! I recommend it to everyone who'll listen! There's a store in the mall where I'm currently working. I really like their White Musk ASB as well.

i actually shaved with the "old stuff" a couple of days ago, i usual shave every 2 days, but i´ve managed to go an extra day thanks to the clean cut it gave me, im starting to think this stuff is better then some of the Trufitt and hill i have,

I hate Sandalwood ... but I love TBS's old cream. I don't think it smells like Sandalwood at all. Its more of a "neutral" scent. NOT unscented, but very, very mild and easy on the nose.

I finally scored some last week. 2 tubs, 2 tubes, and 2 ASBs. I paid $22 + tax for the whole assortment. Absolutely fantastic stuff, all the way around.

Its extremely easy to lather, very smooth shaving, and it left my skin looking and feeling great. The ASB feels a little sticky until it dries, and it dries slowly, but the shave I got from it lasted a good 36 hours or so before I had visible stubble.

TBS has a special buyer's club that gives you 10% off any purchase. It costs $10/yr to join the club and get the discount card, and during your birthday month, you get $10 discount off any purchase, so essentially, your membership is free. I'm going back in July and pick up one of their synthetic brushes for $1, and some more of the old cream, if they have any left.

I haven't tried any of their Maca Root products. If their old cream is any indication, the new formulas are probably just as good. Even when they were running a buy 2 get 1 free sale on the Maca line, I thought they were overpriced for me ... but eventually, they will probably phase that out at the same steep discounts, and then I will get some.

If their old cream is any indication, the new formulas are probably just as good.
Provided you're not allergic to anything in the new cream---there have been a few reports of this, and in the other direction too---then both creams are so close in performance as to make no difference in practice.

Picked up a tub of For Men Maca Root Shave Cream at the mall in Boise. Father's Day sale came with a free tube of "water washable shaving oil" which curiously has not ingredients listed at all on the package. Nothing.
INgredients:
Water, stearic acid, myritistic acid (cannot even look it up), aloe gel, potassium hydroxide, coconut acid, glycerin and a bunch more really weird sounding stuff none of which sounds like you want it on your face. The "maca root" secret ingredient is way down the list, long after Brazil nut and sesame seed oils.

I found the scent pleasing but the stuff leaves my face unpleasantly taut and dry. I'll give it few more weeks.

david boise ID

The Macca Root Cream is good, but its got parabens in it and its not any better, for me at least, than the Real Shaving Co Cream which has no garbage in it whatsoever. I think the RSC cream is really under-rated, probably because its available in Boots and has modern packaging.

Damn I posted about this in the newbie forum although I had a couple specific questions about these products. Hopefully it's OK for me to add them here......with respect to the tub kind of "cream", that is the first time I've tried something like that. What exactly is it? It's not a cream or a soap...more like a paste. I've been wetting my brush, dipping into the tub and making the lather on my face. Is this how I'm supposed to use it? Seems to work pretty good, but I have no idea if this is correct.

Although I'm still new I prefer shaving soaps to creams, however I really enjoyed the BS cream in the tube (more so than the stuff in the tub). So much so I'm thinking of stocking up because of this sale. My question is....can this stuff go bad or dry out? Since I like to rotate between products it would take me awhile to get through it all.

G

gone down south

Damn I posted about this in the newbie forum although I had a couple specific questions about these products. Hopefully it's OK for me to add them here......with respect to the tub kind of "cream", that is the first time I've tried something like that. What exactly is it? It's not a cream or a soap...more like a paste. I've been wetting my brush, dipping into the tub and making the lather on my face. Is this how I'm supposed to use it? Seems to work pretty good, but I have no idea if this is correct.

Although I'm still new I prefer shaving soaps to creams, however I really enjoyed the BS cream in the tube (more so than the stuff in the tub). So much so I'm thinking of stocking up because of this sale. My question is....can this stuff go bad or dry out? Since I like to rotate between products it would take me awhile to get through it all.

The tub and the jar are the same stuff, just in different containers :wink:
You can apply from the tub any way you see fit - rubbing the brush in the tub, scooping some out with your finger, using a popsicle stick or small spoon, whatever makes you happy.

Top Bottom