What's new

Ed McMahon died

Played high school football with Jack Kerouac.

Semper Fi, Ed!

That is an amazingly hip reference. I had not heard that. Of course, high school football does not come immediately to mind re JK or EM for me. Maybe it should. I have forgotten that EM was a decorated pilot.

That is an amazingly hip reference. I had not heard that. Of course, high school football does not come immediately to mind re JK or EM for me. Maybe it should. I have forgotten that EM was a decorated pilot.

I was just reading an article somewhere--maybe it was the New York Times--about what a sports fan Kerouac was. I'm pretty sure that he went to Columbia on a football scholarship, and turned down offers from other big schools. He also invented a game that was kind of like fantasy baseball. He had worked out some way to play the game with coin tosses and marble rolls, and he kept a very elaborate record of games and seasons. I guess that he started when he was a kid and continued to refine the game throughout his life. He did the same with horse racing. The game was so detailed that he wrote a mock newspaper filled with articles about games and profiles of players. According to the article I read, he didn't tell any of his "Beat" contemporaries about it--he thought that they wouldn't find it hip enough.

Top Bottom