What's new

Disinfecting vintage brushes. Barbicide?

Anyone know of any methods that work? Is barbicide effective?
I have a vintage Rooney that I will use if I can disinfect it. If I can't, I'll reknot it

I am pretty sure that might be a tad harsh for your brush. I think the common method is borax / vinegar then baby shampoo and conditioner. Good luck with the brush, let me know if you find anything else out about her. I can't seem to find much credible info about vintage Rooneys anywhere...

+1 on the Borax & Vinegar mix. I will soak the brush for several hours in a mix of borax, vinegar and water. I also like to run the brush through the ultrasonic cleaner with a mixture of water about 1/2 cup of vinegar and a splash of joy dish washing detergent. I then shampoo the brush to get rid of the vinegar smell. This cleans the brush well but probably does not sterilize it.

Barbicide works wonders (I'm still here... but I am feeling a little flu-ish....).

I will soak a brush in a barbicide solution for approx. 2-3 minutes. I've not had discoloration or hair loss - well, the brushes haven't, anyway.

I use a 10 parts water to 1 part bleach solution to sterilize razors. Would a weak bleach solution like this damage badger?

I use a 10 parts water to 1 part bleach solution to sterilize razors. Would a weak bleach solution like this damage badger?

Probably. And the bleach can harm the plating on some razors (never use it on a silver plated item).

Barbicide is best - here's a good post to tell you how to do it (and, possibly, why):

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46318

(Dang! all the photos are gone - you can still get the idea from the text.)

Last edited:
Barbicide works wonders (I'm still here... but I am feeling a little flu-ish....).

I will soak a brush in a barbicide solution for approx. 2-3 minutes. I've not had discoloration or hair loss - well, the brushes haven't, anyway.

Barbercide is not really going to be an effective sanitizer if you give less than a 10 minues soak. Brushes of all types in a salon are soaked in barbercide at a matter of cousre so it should not hurt anything.

Probably. And the bleach can harm the plating on some razors (never use it on a silver plated item).

Barbicide is best - here's a good post to tell you how to do it (and, possibly, why):

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46318

(Dang! all the photos are gone - you can still get the idea from the text.)

Thanks for the link. I new about not using bleach on silver. The razors I disinfect in a 10% bleach solution are only in there long enough to kill the little nasties - 30 seconds, and then I thorough clean them with soap and water.

After suffering from RAD for quite some time, I find that I'm suddenly afflicted with a growing case of SBAD! Sigh... :wink:

Top Bottom