What's new

Stainless Slotted Blades for the Durham Duplex?

the Grainger blades you linked to are Stanley's...

...ah, but they're Stanley 11-530's, which are the stainless ones, not the 11-525 carbon steel, and you can get them for $17.35 on Amazon/allsparestools.

I tried Stanleys for my GEM and they sucked

Apples and oranges - Gem blades and Duplex blades. Chances are, they're made by ASR anyhow.

Last edited:
Have you tried the Playtex blades that fit the old Playtex hair-trimmer? They are almost the same size. I have some in stainless steel that I would be willing to send you. I'll get a pic up with dimensions later today.

You know Google's right on top of us. I did a search on "Playtex hair trimmer" and your post (above) came up as the second match!

By the way, I agree--the Playtex cutter does look like it uses the same format blades.

- Chris

Last edited:
I have one question: other than the fact that the stainless is resistant to rust, is there any reason to believe that a modern stainless blade will perform better than carbon in the Durham?

I have two old Durham blades, which I believe are stainless and the bevel is certainly different than the modern industrial blades I've got. I wonder if this is really the problem for us? I'll try to take and post a comparison pic tomorrow or Monday.

I love the look of the Durham razor, and I'd love to get a few shaves out of it.

To me the playtex blades look a little wider than the durhams.

Last edited:
I have one question: other than the fact that the stainless is resistant to rust, is there any reason to believe that a modern stainless blade will perform better than carbon in the Durham?

No, possibly not. In fact, the late arrival of stainless blades on the scene might be because it was technically more difficult to produce a worthwhile blade in stainless vs. carbon steel.

Maybe you want to try newspaper stropping one edge of one of your original DD branded blades to see if you can get a tangibly sharper edge on it.

I have one slightly rusty DD blade, but the rust is primarily in the area where the blade was clamped to the rest of the razor and the stropping would arguably clean the rust off of the edge. I might try that experiment myself on that blade, using my stropping attachment.

- Chris

I am glad this post was still near the top. I was out at an antique store today and the lady had an old box of duram blades. The box had about 20 or somewhat less packs of the blades. Each pack had a few blades I think. They appeared in brand new condition and individually wrapped. The place is not too close to me but I do think I would be out there in a week or two. If somebody is interested I can find out a price for them and send them on. I guess I should have just bought them or at least asked how much but since I have no need for them I didn't want to be stuck with them. Anyway if I get a PM I will look into it for that person.

I got three DD blades in original packaging in an auction lot. I'm pretty certain one is unused. The other two look good, but in my newbness, am unable to know for sure. I'd be happy to send them on to someone who can use them. If the interested party had a metal DE blade case to trade, I would be highly enthused. PM me if interested.

I am glad this post was still near the top. I was out at an antique store today and the lady had an old box of duram blades. The box had about 20 or somewhat less packs of the blades. Each pack had a few blades I think. They appeared in brand new condition and individually wrapped. The place is not too close to me but I do think I would be out there in a week or two. If somebody is interested I can find out a price for them and send them on. I guess I should have just bought them or at least asked how much but since I have no need for them I didn't want to be stuck with them. Anyway if I get a PM I will look into it for that person.

I might be interested, but price would be a huge factor... I could probably only buy a couple of packs. If the seller's overvaluing them, then it's not worth your time. Give them a call perhaps and see if what they think they're worth.
Thanks!

I might be interested, but price would be a huge factor... I could probably only buy a couple of packs. If the seller's overvaluing them, then it's not worth your time. Give them a call perhaps and see if what they think they're worth.
Thanks!
I sent you a PM but I can't imagine her wanting more than a few bucks.

...ah, but they're Stanley 11-530's, which are the stainless ones, not the 11-525 carbon steel, and you can get them for $17.35 on Amazon/allsparestools.

Right you are... again!

I had almost given up on the idea of a modern blade for the Durham, but a remodel project sent me to Home Depot this morning and I picked up the Stanley 11-525's while I was there... I am happy to report that these blades actually shave!!! I didn't pull a single hair. I do have a little irritation, but that could be technique, since this is a straight style razor that I'm unused to... If you decide to order the stainless blades, and would like to split the order, let me know. I assume that they'll perform as well or better than the carbon ones. This blade is made in USA, but it's nothing like the blade put out by ASR, so I wonder if it isn't made by someone else?

I just did a little online searching and I found various retailers calling the 11-530 blades stainless, blued steel and carbon steel. I wonder which is correct? Do you think they market various blades under the same model number?

Last edited:
I just did a little online searching and I found various retailers calling the 11-530 blades stainless, blued steel and carbon steel. I wonder which is correct? Do you think they market various blades under the same model number?

There's got to be a "face-palm of despair" emoticon around here somewhere. :frown:

I'm working myself up to actually trying the DD sometime in the next week or so (probably with the safety comb, at first). In the meantime, I'm experimenting with variations on newspaper stropping a fresh Stanley 11-525 blade to see how sharp I can get it.

Glad to hear of your success with the Stanleys. Just be sure to dry them off (carefully) after each use.

- Chris

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I'm now trying to find blades and may end up ordering fro Durham in bulk, as they are great, I use one every few days to trim my hair, the razors one sees, as well as the type I use were never intended for shaving with, more for barbers to taper hair lines etc. as you would do with a shavette.

You can easily fit a DE blade in to mine, as I only have 3 more blades left, I'm needing to find a replacement. Wish my granddad had left me more than 5 blades, but doubt I could get them for 16p any more :D

Tom

No worries.

There are are modern hair shapers on the market that look just the same, Playtex and Fromm come to mind. Also, of course, there's the Durham Duplex Dog Dresser! :smile:

- Chris

But thankfully from what I've seen it has only a SE not a DE :D

My shaper performs great and can take a DE blade comfortably, so I may have to start using them :-(

Tom

I have got a reply from Durham, who say that they no longer manufacture the hair cutting blade, but they sold the rights to a company that does still make them:

Dear Mr Paffett,

Many thanks for your enquiry. Although Durham Duplex no longer supply
these blades they are available through a company called Ever Ready
Healthcare. Details as follows:

Ever Ready Healthcare Products
13 Sentinal Square
Hendon
London
NW4 2EL

TEL: 0208 2023171
FAX: 0208 2039083

Ever Ready with either be able to help you direct, or put you in touch
with your local supplier.

Kind Regards

Michelle Hewitt
Internal Sales / Customer Services
DURHAM DUPLEX

So a big thank-you to Michelle, I have sent them an enquiry via a pharmaceutical wholesalers site, would others be interested in modern blades for their razor, perhaps a group buy could be sorted so everyone interested could try their razors with new blades?

Tom

I have got a reply from Durham, who say that they no longer manufacture the hair cutting blade, but they sold the rights to a company that does still make them...

So a big thank-you to Michelle, I have sent them an enquiry via a pharmaceutical wholesalers site, would others be interested in modern blades for their razor, perhaps a group buy could be sorted so everyone interested could try their razors with new blades?

Maybe so. It all depends on the price, of course. See post #18 for an earlier inquiry (enquiry) to a different source.

- Chris

Top Bottom