What's new

Shelf life of Blades

Hey guys,

Just wondered if you were a hoarder of blades, how long you could expect them to last on a shelf, in cardboard box but not sealed by film?

Would they shave as well after 20 years?

As long as you keep them dry, they should last quite a while. Quite a while, as in 30 Years ++.

I shave with NOS made in the 60's, so blades can last a long time.

Check this recent post.

Last edited:
Just out of interest, why would you need to hoard a load of blades? Couldn't you just buy some more as and when you need them?

Just out of interest, why would you need to hoard a load of blades? Couldn't you just buy some more as and when you need them?

What if you find "the" blade for you - and they stop making it between you deciding and buying some... I for one want some "wiggle room" (as in "cushion" stock) for looking for a new "the" blade so I'm not rushed into some substandard purchase.

What if you find "the" blade for you - and they stop making it between you deciding and buying some... I for one want some "wiggle room" (as in "cushion" stock) for looking for a new "the" blade so I'm not rushed into some substandard purchase.

Exactly Septic, Exactly......

1207 on hand here :lol: (100 more en route :blushing:)
Is that all? :biggrin: seriously, I have about 1200 of "the blade(s)" on hand, or close to 15 years worth.

I buy my favorites when they come up, and have amassed a nice stockpile so far. I also have a few new current production blades that I like (red IPs and Crystals); I buy these mostly from WCS. The Crystal, surprisingly, did not work for me in a Merkur, but it gives a great shave in a Krona. So does the Derby.

Last edited:
Is that all? :biggrin: seriously, I have about 1200 of "the blade(s)" on hand, or close to 15 years worth.

My gameplan is to have enough blades and soap (at the right price of course) to "see me out" I reckon that I'm about 1/3 way there with the blades and halfway with the soap. Also need to think about stashing some more brushes too :biggrin:

My gameplan is to have enough blades and soap (at the right price of course) to "see me out" I reckon that I'm about 1/3 way there with the blades and halfway with the soap. Also need to think about stashing some more brushes too :biggrin:
That is my strategy as well. I'm trying to have enough blades on hand to shave with until I develop a bad case of "old fogey neck gizzard." :w00t:

Blades? I pay way too much for them.

I'm lining up some future purchases with my favorite vendors to buy my blades in bulk in the coming months. Looking to pick 2600 blades in the coming months :w00t:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's why I want to try and convert myself to straight razors... I won't have to worry too much about blades. I will keep a dozen of those in a locked cabinet. :lol:

That is my strategy as well. I'm trying to have enough blades on hand to shave with until I develop a bad case of "old fogey neck gizzard." :w00t:

Blades? I pay way too much for them.

I am sitting on 800+ Swedes myself. At two blades per month (I shave every other day, and I strop) I figure that should last me close to 30 years. I actually don't even expect to live for another 30 years but I will have close, comfortable shaves for as long as I can hold a razor.

That's why I want to try and convert myself to straight razors... I won't have to worry too much about blades. I will keep a dozen of those in a locked cabinet. :lol:

Excellent work Luc trying to convert to straights, another AD to contend with.

Luc

Staff member
Excellent work Luc trying to convert to straights, another AD to contend with.

Yes, if I succeed I would probably keep 1 or 2 DE, enough blades for my old days and sell the rest :biggrin:

Yes, if I succeed I would probably keep 1 or 2 DE, enough blades for my old days and sell the rest :biggrin:

:eek:Easy on the OLD DAYS :001_smile I used a straight over 30 years. I retired after 32. 57 years old, and my wife of 39 years put an end to my shaving method last fall. Hope your able to use a straight to age 100 but all I do with em now is keep them shave ready incase I sneak a use here and there. (she thinks she got em all, NEVER:w00t::biggrin:

Luc

Staff member
:eek:Easy on the OLD DAYS :001_smile I used a straight over 30 years. I retired after 32. 57 years old, and my wife of 39 years put an end to my shaving method last fall. Hope your able to use a straight to age 100 but all I do with em now is keep them shave ready incase I sneak a use here and there. (she thinks she got em all, NEVER:w00t::biggrin:

If that happens, it will be it's the razor or you :lol:

Top Bottom