What's new

Dickinson's vs. Thayers

I've been using Dickinson's for forever. My local Wally-World has it cheap, and I use it before my regular AS splash and moisturizer as a full-face astringent and cleanser.
I recently saw the Thayers stuff at my grocery store (?!) and was wondering what kind of difference to expect. Is there one? What say you all?

My Thayers is alcohol free so it spreads around on my face much easier than Dickinsons. I use it most of the time unless it's really humid or if I have a rough shave, then I go to Dickinsons.

Thayer's alcohol-free toners are outstanding products(my favorites) as are Dickinson's Blue & Yellow labels. Humphrey's Witch Hazel is also very good.

I have a bottle of Thayer's "Astringent". Is there any difference between it and the aftershave?
I also have a bottle of Thayer's "Superhazel", but it seems more of a remedy for irritation. The active ingredient is camphor.

Dickinson's has alcohol. Thayers generally not. Dickinson's smells more like what I think witch hazel is supposed to smell like. Others do not like that smell and prefer Thayers.

I prefer Dickinson's for the alcohol, cost, and aroma! Thayers is a good product, too. The scents when scented are mild but pure.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Having used both, I much prefer the Thayers. It's certainly worth a try.

Thayer's has a variety of scents/ingredients whereas Dickinson's is the basic be all/do all w/h.

If you are into pairing scents, you cannot go wrong with Thayer's(even if u aren't into pairing scents!)

marty

I use them interchangably. I'm not sure I notice the difference in practice, although the Thayer's is really free of aroma (I use the original with AV), while the Dickinson's has more of a WH/alcohol smell to it.

I have only been wetshaving for about a month, so I don't have alot of experience yet. But...I use Thayer's Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera (currently Rose Petal version) and I can say that it really does help with skin irritation/burn. I have sensitive skin, that is why I chose the alcohol free version. I have never tried Dickinson's, so I can't compare. All I can say is that my wife likes the smell of the Rose Petal version :001_rolle.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
SWMBO normally uses Dickinson and she told me that Thayers is like gourmet witch hazel! She keeps it for special occasions... I told her to use it everyday! If she can starts a WHAD with Thayers, I would feel better with my other ADs! :lol:

I use them interchangably. I'm not sure I notice the difference in practice, although the Thayer's is really free of aroma (I use the original with AV), while the Dickinson's has more of a WH/alcohol smell to it.

+1

It took me a while to become acclimated to the odor of Dickinson's, but it seems to work for me just as well.

Top Bottom