What's new

Straight razor versus Linux

proxy.php

I like the analogy between the straight razor and Linux. Both are the most difficult way to go about their respective tasks once you start out, both are infinitely customizable, and once mastered both are the best way to go about the job.

I also like the Windows/electric shaver analogy. Both work sorta well, but irritate the heck out of you in the process.

That's only an apt analogy if the bowling pin opens up to reveal... a Merkur Slant, loaded with a nice, shiny new Feather.

so, correct me if I'm wrong, but Mac osX is built on a unix kernel, correct? And Linux is just a reverse engineering job of unix. Doesn't that just mac osX yet another unix distro technically? A brother of linux if you would. Maybe the analogy should be that mac is a straight razor that also just happens to hone and strop itself.

Last edited:
so, correct me if I'm wrong, but Mac osX is built on a unix kernel, correct? And Linux is just a reverse engineering job of unix. Doesn't that just mac osX yet another unix distro technically? A brother of linux if you would. Maybe the analogy should be that mac is a straight razor that also just happens to hone and strop itself.

Yuh-huh - GNU/Linux and the Mac osX kernels come from the same Unix root. Perhaps, the Mac should be a Durham Domino straight razor - customizable, but not to the same degree as the Linux/straight.

The Windows shaver? Overly complex, one-size-fits-all solution, adequate for most applications, customizable only on the surface (not under the hood), needs Microsoft blades and soap to work properly. :confused1

as far as kernels are concerned, that is true*. But, ,what makes OS-X, OS-X is all the proprietary stuff that Apple shoves on top of the kernel.

*Linux is primarily based on "East Coast" Unix (Bell & DEC Sys-V) whereas OS-X Kernel is in fact, a true unix kernel (not a work alike) known as BSD ("West Coast Unix"). Tho... in fact, Linux accepts both "east" and "west" style commands and options.

Last edited:
Top Bottom