What's new

More IDs please

I am trying to decide if I should buy these 2 razors. I don't know what the first one is at all. I guess some kind of tech? The second looks like a 40s Aristocrat in a 30s case? How much by picture only like me, should I offer for these? Thanks once again

I am trying to decide if I should buy these 2 razors. I don't know what the first one is at all. I guess some kind of tech? The second looks like a 40s Aristocrat in a 30s case? How much by picture only like me, should I offer for these? Thanks once again

First one looks like a British (or Canadian) aluminium-handled tech in an overnight pouch. Looks in good condition, but there's something missing from the case - probably a thingy for scraping under the fingernails or maybe for de-waxing the ear. Hereabouts the going rate for that would be in the GBP5/USD8-10 range.

Not sure on the other one - it's outside my zone of near-certainty.

I believe your guess is right on the second, but i'll defer to the Aristocrat gurus. If it is indeed a 40s Aristocrat, to me it's a ten dollar buy. I just got one on the bay in (from the pictures, I believe) great shape for $16.00, in the proper case. If you've never used one before, and it's around that price, grab it. They're great shavers.

Also, I'd posit the missing tool is a pair of nail clippers.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like an Aristocrat from the 40's in a 30's case. The metal 1934 Aristocrat case should be gold toned. Looks like the razor has lost a lot of the gold plating on the handle. I can't see if there are endcaps or not to tell what vintage 40's Aristocrat it is. The center bar (notched or not) can also help further with the date.

The condition is not so good looking from the pics and the interior of the lid (which has the logo and the name Aristocrat on it) is missing.

Definitely looks like an Aristocrat from the 40's in a 30's case. The metal 1934 Aristocrat case should be gold toned. Looks like the razor has lost a lot of the gold plating on the handle. I can't see if there are endcaps or not to tell what vintage 40's Aristocrat it is. The center bar (notched or not) can also help further with the date.

The condition is not so good looking from the pics and the interior of the lid (which has the logo and the name Aristocrat on it) is missing.
I thought the same thing about the handle but then in the wiki it appeared they were two toned. Is this correct? A silver handle and gold head and knob?

I have never seen or heard of a two toned Gillette of that vintage. Better let some of the razor gods of B&B weigh in though.

me neither, and agreed.

Now that I look at the "two toned" picture in the wiki again it looks like the gold had worn off the handle and not actually two toned. I emailed the guy about his razor to see if it is the camera or worn away.

Now that I look at the "two toned" picture in the wiki again it looks like the gold had worn off the handle and not actually two toned. I emailed the guy about his razor to see if it is the camera or worn away.

It could be that the silver has worn from his knob of course.

Well the answer back was yes two toned. So it is worn down and in poor condition looks wise. I might offer $5 just to try it and after I confirm it works well. It will be an in person purchase. Thanks guys.

So the razor came and it is in rough shape but shined up. The handle has lost 99.9% of the "gold" color. What is that metal? Is it gold or brass? Also one of the silo doors seems loose when closed. The tiny brackets that hold it look bent outward. Can I bend them, carefully, back? I put a blade in and the door was pretty tight then. So it shouldn't affect shaving. Also is it normal to have to push the TTO knob up after loosening to open the silo doors? Because that is what I have to do. As shiny as it is there are a few tiny corrosion spots so I would like to have it the plating redone. Also the case doesn't appear to have ever been golden. But it looks like the gold 1930 case. Has anybody seen this before? Oh and there are no notches or endcaps so 1941? Thanks

So the razor came and it is in rough shape but shined up. The handle has lost 99.9% of the "gold" color. What is that metal? Is it gold or brass? Also one of the silo doors seems loose when closed. The tiny brackets that hold it look bent outward. Can I bend them, carefully, back? I put a blade in and the door was pretty tight then. So it shouldn't affect shaving. Also is it normal to have to push the TTO knob up after loosening to open the silo doors? Because that is what I have to do. As shiny as it is there are a few tiny corrosion spots so I would like to have it the plating redone. Also the case doesn't appear to have ever been golden. But it looks like the gold 1930 case. Has anybody seen this before? Oh and there are no notches or endcaps so 1941? Thanks

No, it is not normal to have to push up the TTO knob, but it isn't that terribly uncommon of a problem. There is a retaining ring that should fit into a groove in the inner handle and the outer part of the knob assembly. The ring has obviously worn down, which is not surprising based up the extremely wear on the rest of the razor.

Top Bottom