What's new

Favorite childhood non-cartoon show?

What was your favorite show when you were a kid? I don't mean cartoons, I mean regular shows.

For instance, I was born in 1976 which put me squarely at the age to think that Miami Vice was the coolest thing ever at the time it was on originally. I still love that show.

You guys (and gals)?

The Littlest Hobo is my earliest memory of a TV show I would get really excited about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PINxfouNQFw

Synopsis: the show was about a wandering dog that would help people in need and sometimes help solve crimes and mysteries. He didn't talk or anything, it was usually more about him pointing people in the right direction. I remember it being very entertaining and contained positive messages for youth. Catchy intro song, I still remember the lyrics! It was one of those rare TV shows that appealed to kids and parents alike.

When I was a little older I have fond memories of Today's Special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cxLfIs051c

Synopsis: set in a department store, a female employee discovers that one of the manikins is capable of becoming human, but only when nobody (except her) is watching and he is wearing a magic hat. There is also a night security guard (a puppet) and a talking mouse (also a puppet). After the department store closes they go on nightly imaginary adventures containing educational and positive messages emphasising tolerance, respect, and self-esteem. Occasionally some basic reading and math skills, too.

I really enjoyed both. Can't choose! IMO Canadian Children's Programming at its best, and almost no commercials. Gotta love it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The Avengers. I was way too young to know Dianna Rigg was as sexy as she was in the tight leather . . . Na . . . I knew.

proxy.php

Where to begin. . .

Tales of the Gold Monkey - I think this was only on for one season, but it was the first show that my parent's would let us watch past our beditime, which was 8:00 PM

The A-Team
MacGyver
Knight Rider

A-Team is a winner, hard to beat MacGyver, but the number one show I remember is Manimal. I loved it when I was young, but I saw some re-runs a few years ago and now I know why it didn't last very long. :eek:

Just a few:
77 Sunset Strip
Peyton Place
Route 66
Flintstones
Gunsmoke
Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
The Untouchables
Dragnet

Sue

Family Matters, Boy Meets world...and the other TGIF programming. It was a US channel but forget the rest. Every friday there was 2 hours of shows I watched.

Where to begin. . .

Tales of the Gold Monkey - I think this was only on for one season, but it was the first show that my parent's would let us watch past our beditime, which was 8:00 PM

I thought that was a great show! I was surprised that it vanished so quickly. It was, of course, a take off on the Indiana Jones fever of the time. Given the limitations of a TV budget I think it did wonderful job of creating this world you coulkd get involved in -- romance and adventure!

Now I am sad. :crying:

Go HERE and sign up to be notified -- maybe it will help.

Anyone know anything about THESE? I suspect some low-quality screen capture off of a TV broadcast.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom