What's new

Shaving Brush Stand Ideas

I just purchased a Shavemac 220 Silvertip Badger 28mm from Vintage Blades and was wondering how should I go about storing the brush. I know you aren't supposed to store the brush on it's base; however I can't justify spending another $40 on a stand. It looks as if I want to buy a stand for such a large brush, I need to drop about $40. Is there a cheaper or "homemade" way to do this without dropping $40 on a brush stand? All ideas are welcome.

Cut to fit your brushes and/or razors.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I used one of these its a closetmaid tie and belt rack. The hangers are soft enough to spread out to hold a brush and close enough to hold razors. You might also be able to use a screwdriver mount too but I bought mine at Walmart of less than 10 bucks and it works great.

You can just avoid stands altogether and store it on its base. I have a stand that only fits one of my brushes. The rest all are stored on their base and are doing just fine. This debate on how to store a brush will go on forever but if your brush is well shaken out after it is rinsed and then wipe it a few times on your towel it will be okay.

I went to a craft store to find cheap alternatives, and I came up with a pretty decent solution (though it may sound a little crazy). I bought a doll stand for $1.39. I then cut up an old coke can and folded it into a circle to hold the razor on the back. After I glued the coke can to the stand (with a cheap sealable tube of GE Silicone II from Lowes), I then applied a coat of silver spray paint (though it would have worked better if I had primed everything first).

I am no expert, but my solution was relatively cheap and it can produce multiple shave stands that can be easily sized to fit any size brush or razor.

proxy.php

I used one of these its a closetmaid tie and belt rack. The hangers are soft enough to spread out to hold a brush and close enough to hold razors. You might also be able to use a screwdriver mount too but I bought mine at Walmart of less than 10 bucks and it works great.

Those are exactly what I used to use before I got the cool antique valet I use now, excellent for the price and they hold a lot of stuff.

I went to a craft store to find cheap alternatives, and I came up with a pretty decent solution (though it may sound a little crazy). I bought a doll stand for $1.39. I then cut up an old coke can and folded it into a circle to hold the razor on the back. After I glued the coke can to the stand (with a cheap sealable tube of GE Silicone II from Lowes), I then applied a coat of silver spray paint (though it would have worked better if I had primed everything first).

I am no expert, but my solution was relatively cheap and it can produce multiple shave stands that can be easily sized to fit any size brush or razor.

Wow! Kudos not only on the final result, but the ingenuity that went into making that. Looks good man

Wow! Kudos not only on the final result, but the ingenuity that went into making that. Looks good man

Thank you. It took me quite a while to develop the idea, and I have been pleased with the result. I think I am going to try making a gold version next time.

After I glued the coke can to the stand (with a cheap sealable tube of GE Silicone II from Lowes), I then applied a coat of silver spray paint (though it would have worked better if I had primed everything first).

If I may suggest an alternative, J&B Weld may be a more sturdy glue, and is silver/grey in color. It can be purchased in any hardware store in the glue & epoxy section.

Thank you to blackdog1101 and to Darjeeling Express.

To blackdog1101, thanks for the suggestion. I went with the silicone because it was waterproof, paintable, and on hand. I will try your suggestion next time.

And lastly to Improbable, your creation if very nice looking. The brass rod is definitely the Pièce de résistance (although the finishing job on the wood ranks up there as well).

Top Bottom