What's new

A nervous black male seeking a solution...

Soaps aren't that hard. Study Jim's tutorials and watch the mantic videos. I have little use for creams anymore, and I switched to soaps very soon after starting learning to wetshave. $.02 in the bank

My question today is; once I graduate to the DE class, should the quality of a DE SAfety razor eliminate the need to use multiple strokes?

You will find it necessary to go over the same area multiple times. Remember, beard reduction. With each pass of the razor, you're reducing your beard, one pass will not completely eliminate it. However, shaving with a cartridge requires that you use a lot of pressure, a DE requires NO, or very little, pressure. Not pressing the blade into your skin will allow you to have several, comfortable passes (with practice).

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B!!! I meant to respond to this post earlier..I'm a black male that suffered from ingrown hair issues prior to DE shaving. Prior to stumbling upon this site, I shaved with electrics for 17 years. With good products, form, and technique ingrowns will be a thing of the past!!!

Last edited:
Ditto what everyone said. I do many passes with DE's sometimes. As long as I'm careful and use no pressure, I don't get irritated. I haven't had ingrowns AT ALL in the months since I've started DE shaving. Good luck!

So I took some advice from threads and responses to my O.P.

Jumped in the shower, used my razor defense cleanser, then lathered up with the razor defense shaving gel that I usually use to shave with. I let it sit to soften the hairs while I showered.
Rinsed it off and then lathered up again at the sink using the Body Shop shaving cream.
I used a much more patient technique of shaving this time around with short WTG strokes (yes, i'm getting up to speed with the millions of abbreviations LOL) and less pace & pressure. To my amazement, I finished the shave without one single nick and (barr the bumps that still exist) quite a smooth finish.

My question today is; once I graduate to the DE class, should the quality of a DE SAfety razor eliminate the need to use multiple strokes?
Reason being is that, even with a twin Gillette disposable there still seems to be a need to go over areas more than once.

If so, I can't wait, because I truly feel that this will be a key aspect towards reducing skin irritation which in turn ought to subside the appearance of the bumps even more.

Lastly, I was wondering if it mattered wether I started using my DESR with a Cream, or a Soap. Is it a matter of one's preference or is one more recommended than the other?
For some reason, i'm really drawn to those Col.Conk soaps. :001_smile

congrats on making progress, typically with a DE razor one would do a complete pass and quite usually first pass is wtg then re-lather and repeat with additional passes xtg, atg and perhaps even another wtg or whatever combo of passes works until the desired closeness is obtained, you can do a 1 pass shave and be presentable but it won't be as smooth as doing multi-passes, starting out though you are best just doing a wtg pass for at least a few days and letting your skin adjust to the new method of shaving and not initially worry about closeness.

as far as soap/cream it is mostly personal preference col conk soap is not a bad soap at all, and if it works for you all the more reason to stick with and not change for now anyhow

So stepped up to the Merkur DE.

Did the recommended prep (hot shower, pre-shave exfoliating face-wash, lather with gel, hot cloth,....wait....rinse, out of shower, Proraso pre-shave cream, brush and Proraso soap in a porcelain bowl semi submerged in hot water)

I think i'm having problems with getting the correct density for the lather. I can't seem to generate quite as much of the fluffy white stuff as seen in Mantic59's vid's. Instead my creation ends up a little too runny or too thick.

I guess practice is the general idea here.

As for the shave over all, you can definitely tell the difference. That sound of the blade cutting through your hair is very distinctive. Didn't hear anything like that with a twin-blade Gillette disposable. In saying that, I do see where you would need to do multiple passes in order to finish up with a smooth face, which is where my abilities are seriously lacking.

After the first WTG pass, It felt as if I had barely even touched the hair. Maybe it's because I was expecting the same result as a one of the twin blades that I'm used to using, and that I had let the hair grow for about 4 days.
With a slight level of dissapointment settleing in derived from the annoying itch that was still present and the thought of spending $80 on this Merkur apparatus that apparantly works wonders, I did a second wtg pass (from top to bottom).
Although it ended up being a great shave I was not satisfied with the lack of effect it had along the jawline which grows away from the mouth. It felt completely untouched. Is my hair really that thick?
So, I did the rookie unthinkable. Yes, you've guessed it. An ATG pass on an un-nurtured face with bumps.

The hair had slightly been removed, but the irritation remained. Silly me!!! The next day I was back to square 1.

Would I be right in assuming that a DE Safety is most effective when the hair is first protruding the skin?

For now, and as highly recommended in many a post, thread, blog, article that i've read throughout the web yet totally disregarded, I'll go ATG for a good week atleast and not worry about trying to getting that BBS shave in my first session.

There's my update for now lads. I wish it was much better? Hopefully next time.

p.s. is there a section where ppl upload pics on here? You know, for before and afters and such.

So stepped up to the Merkur DE.

Did the recommended prep (hot shower, pre-shave exfoliating face-wash, lather with gel, hot cloth,....wait....rinse, out of shower, Proraso pre-shave cream, brush and Proraso soap in a porcelain bowl semi submerged in hot water)

I think i'm having problems with getting the correct density for the lather. I can't seem to generate quite as much of the fluffy white stuff as seen in Mantic59's vid's. Instead my creation ends up a little too runny or too thick.

I guess practice is the general idea here.

As for the shave over all, you can definitely tell the difference. That sound of the blade cutting through your hair is very distinctive. Didn't hear anything like that with a twin-blade Gillette disposable. In saying that, I do see where you would need to do multiple passes in order to finish up with a smooth face, which is where my abilities are seriously lacking.

After the first WTG pass, It felt as if I had barely even touched the hair. Maybe it's because I was expecting the same result as a one of the twin blades that I'm used to using, and that I had let the hair grow for about 4 days.
With a slight level of dissapointment settleing in derived from the annoying itch that was still present and the thought of spending $80 on this Merkur apparatus that apparantly works wonders, I did a second wtg pass (from top to bottom).
Although it ended up being a great shave I was not satisfied with the lack of effect it had along the jawline which grows away from the mouth. It felt completely untouched. Is my hair really that thick?
So, I did the rookie unthinkable. Yes, you've guessed it. An ATG pass on an un-nurtured face with bumps.

The hair had slightly been removed, but the irritation remained. Silly me!!! The next day I was back to square 1.

Would I be right in assuming that a DE Safety is most effective when the hair is first protruding the skin?

For now, and as highly recommended in many a post, thread, blog, article that i've read throughout the web yet totally disregarded, I'll go ATG for a good week atleast and not worry about trying to getting that BBS shave in my first session.

There's my update for now lads. I wish it was much better? Hopefully next time.

p.s. is there a section where ppl upload pics on here? You know, for before and afters and such.

Patience Grasshopper!
Remember that every aspect of DE shaving is of equal importance.
Prep; Lather Building; First Pass; ReLather-Second Pass; ReLather-Third Pass; ReLather-Fourth Pass; Post Shave care.
Treat each thing as the goal of the moment because it will definitely affect the overall outcome. Great technique with the DE can be all for naught due to poor Pre-shave Prep. Good attention during the Prep and Shave can be ruined by poor Lather.
Noone said it would happen overnight, but it will happen sooner than you think once you take a breath and really focus on each aspect as a singular goal.
The four pass shave requires that you apply no pressure at all when using a DE razor. It requires that you learn the grain of your beard on the different parts of your face. With this information you will know when you are shaving with the grain and when you are shaving across the grain, and on which parts of YOUR face you are doing either.
Going against the grain successfully is the last step you need to think about and you probably shouldn't even attempt to do that for a few weeks or even months in my case. You can get a really good shave, a DFS, with three well executed passes. Combined with good prep and good lather your face will feel better than you can ever remember. But the key word in all of this is Patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really cool thread, this is such a great community and it's wonderful to see such an outpouring of support!
I unfortunately went DE alone without all these fine folk helping me along, just did a lot of forum lurking and watching videos. It took months (I just very recently became able to achieve no-irritation ATG's and I got my DE early this year).

Months - not days .. so I'd say your ATG was premature and that's why it didn't work out. Try XTG's if you really can't resist.

As for the first pass seeming to do very little - aside from the objective being reduction -- remember the blade angle. Tilt the handle away from your face just a bit more to angle the blade a bit more agressively and you'll remove more hair. The angle the blade can control how much it cuts. And let gravity alone guide it down. And in short patches (say 1" a stroke) since the DE isn't meant to go "around corners" or in big strokes like a cartridge.

Also the other bit of advice I have having read this thread is to try other blades. I unfortunately stunted my growth as a DE shaver for many weeks because I used terrible (for me) Merkur blades, thinking the blade was a minor detail - it most certainly is not. I'm closing in on a BBS (questionably defined, some might say I've achieved this already since I have to really work to find stubble) and this would never have happened on a Merkur for me (YMMV is key). Get a sampler of blades. Most importantly for me ingrowns are a dying breed and redness is almost gone.

/ Former 'pizza-face'
Edit / and just to add that the journey isn't over yet.. the learning continues; my technique still needs work

Last edited:
Once again, thanks for the words of encouragement.

As for the blades, I do happen to remember reading somewhere that Merkur blades were not really the tool of choice. I have, however, ordered a sampler pack. Can't remember the entire assortment, but I did make sure that I chose the one with 'Feather' and 'Derby' blades in it, as these two seem to be the more prefered choice ny the majority.

The Journey continues.....

What a great story! The responses are uplifting and the student is anxious to learn.
Would that we could save all from the dreaded, and all too common, ingrowns.
Welcome to the brotherhood and best wishes for a grand, bump free, future.

Bump this post^^^No pun intended.

Found that the best thing for me to purge bumps is a product Ten-o-six Lotion Deep Pore Cleanser by Bonne Bell available online. Apply with cotton pads as part of the preshave. Gets the oil and dead skin of your face that Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser Normal To Oily might miss. It really did a number on bumps and ingrown hairs after I started using blades and cartridges.

Those days of the Crusty the Clown look are over:thumbdown
proxy.php
:thumbdown

Bump this post^^^No pun intended.

Found that the best thing for me to purge bumps is a product Ten-o-six Lotion Deep Pore Cleanser by Bonne Bell available online. Apply with cotton pads as part of the preshave. Gets the oil and dead skin of your face that Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser Normal To Oily might miss. It really did a number on bumps and ingrown hairs after I started using blades and cartridges.

Those days of the Crusty the Clown look are over:thumbdown
proxy.php
:thumbdown

Congratulations on the progress!

This is a fantastic thread, and shows what B&B is all about. While this posting is late in the game, may I put in another word for Thayers products? I use Thayers daily, (cucumber aloe) which is alcohol free, and has been very effective. While some posters praise the regular witch hazel products, I have used both and find that the Thayers is worth the money. Besides, a 12 oz. bottle that I use daily lasts for a minimum of 4 months. I have no association with Thayers other than being a fan of the products.

The other thing I would add is that you may want to consider gentle cleansers that are easy on the skin, free of harsh chemicals. I am no dermatologist, but from what I have been able to read, the bumps are a reaction to the shaving process, caused by irritation, and driving the hair under the skin. I can't help but believe that a prep. cleansing, shaving, and post shave treatment that reduces irritation would help you. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Nice story, great that you put it here on the forum.

You seem to be on the right track.
Got great products and advice, some practice will make perfect.

Every one develops his own routine.
I found blade angle and rinsing between passes to make the most difference.
Also I do the poor man's prep; I shave and face lather in the shower.
Warmth, water and the exfoliating effect of the brush.

For me, it didn't take weeks to get good results.
Fixed it in a couple of days, but you will get better as with anything in time.

Did you already mention your type of Merkur.
It is expensive, might be a Vision or Futur.
You could think of a less expensive razor, such as a Gillette Superspeed.

Easy to find, here on the B/S/T.
You can post a WTB (want to buy) and I am sure it won't take long before one of the gentlemen here is able to help you out.

Wish you success and fun on your journey, and I hope you find the remedy against the bumps and ingrown hairs.

if you continue to get ingrown hairs mantic ( mark) has a vid on youtube that teaches you how to make a home remedy for ingrown hair using asprin.

With all the good work you're doing and all the great advice this thread has generated, I don't really have anything new or profound to offer so I'll just add my voice to those giving encouragement. Thanks for sharing your experience.

....to the dreaded razor bumps and ingrown hairs.

I came across this site during my hours and days of browser research for a solution to lay this painful issue to rest once and for all.

I've tried many a solution over the years except for the wetshave and have just a few questions before I start off.

At the moment I have both slightly over my cheeks and mostly under my chin and around my neck. Based on the reading i've done, the general consensus seems to be that I should let the hair grow out if my bumps continue to be a problem.

Now, my question is this.

Prior to my first ever wetshave with a DE Safety razor, should I trim the hair down with my electric Andis Outliner and start the shaving procedure, or should I let the hair grow out some more to help reduce the severity of the bumps?

Or, maybe I could just start the Wetshave straight from the length it is now. I'm not sure what to do.

My facial hair length at the moment is still short, skin still visible, but looks shorter than it really is due to the coil action of my hair.

My list of tools are:

- A Merkur DE safety razor. (not sure what kind exactly, but I bought it today in Ontario at "Personal Edge"
- Black Opal Men's Shave System; http://www.blackopalbeauty.com/men.htmlwhich consists of an "Anti-Bump Shave-Gel", "Anti-Bump Treatment", and "Anti-Bump Cleanser"

-Body Shops "Maca Root Shave Cream".
More of an impulse purchase really. I read that Shaving cream is more effective than Gel because it helps to better raise the strands of hair from the skin. It was in the same mall, so I grabbed some.
Definitely looking at the Col.Conk Bay Rum shaving Soap though; and very open to any other recommendations.

- A brush also from the body shop. I highly doubt that it's real badger hair as it was only about $10 if that. I'm assuming it's one of the badger/horse ones, or maybe even all sythetic material. Does a real badger brush make that much of a difference?

One last thing before I get on my way. The Merkur DE razor that I bought was $70+tx CAD.

I did a little browsing on a few sites that are probably well know to many of you and saw complete sets. Being that I don't have a stand and "real" badger brush, would it be worth it to order one of the sets online and return the razor back to Personal Edge?

Thanks guys and sorry for the long first post. I've been battling this crap for a good 15 years and really want to get it right this time.

I think I would go with whatever length you have unless you've grown a beard, then I'd trim things down a bit. Just remember to rinse your blade often and I like to leave the water on the blade instead of tapping off the exsess, I find it gives it that extra fluidity to my shave, if that makes sense...

Wow, first and foremost....

I must apologize for my act of negligence upon a thread where nothing but positive support has been generated.

Thank you all.

Unfortunately, probably due to impatience and the sophomore level of a Wet-Shave purist, I ended up going back to the Andis clippers.
I've been telling myself that it just seems impossible, but on the other hand i've read nothing but success stories on here so it must be an achievable goal.

Lately i've been thinking about it a lot and am considering taking the plunge once again. I'm glad that everyone finds this thread informative and I hope to continue my contribution in the near future. This time I think I'll do it in patches.

You can do it! :thumbup1:

You'd probably have more patience with it this go around as you probably have that first wave of excitement "out of your system".

Top Bottom