What's new

I'm stuck on the choice of my next razor.

So far I wasn't really affected by RAD (but SSAD? Oh boy :001_smile) and I own not that many razors.
- Parker 90R (my first)
- SS (given to the wife since I managed to convert her)
- slim
- slim adjustable (blackhandled and my main razor)

Because of another thread (@#!$ù that guy that started it :001_smile) I looked at some Merkurs but I can't decide between the 12C, 39C or the 38C.
I have a tough beard (classification between III and IV referring to the proposed classification in another thread) and DFS is mostly the best I get in 3 passes.
No, taking all three isn't an option since I spent already more this year on shaving stuff that could easely provided me with enough mach3 cartridges for at least 5 years.

Can somebody that has experience with at least 2 of the 3 can give a recommendation?

You sir, are a fine candidate for the 39c.

I use a 37c almost exclusivley, and have been very happy with the results.

Try a GEM. Obviously you have nothing against vintage razors, and GEMs are very good with tough stubble. Easy to use, only one angle to learn, and smooth DFS's that last a long time are GEMs speciality.

Aaaargh. Those Muhle razors look nice too.
What to buy? What to buy? :confused:

If you can handle the 39C it seems like you will enjoy it, however I ready that some people say it provides great shave but the size/weight is something you have to get used to. If you have a sensitive skin maybe 37C will work better for you.
I personally like the 34C and just ordered 37C, while I am sure the 39C will be a great shaver I don't want my sensitive skin to meet with a heavy Slant like the 39C :lol:

The Slant and the GEM, as suggested above, are both excellent choices for broadening your razor horizons. They will both give a much more different shaving experience than another razor that is more similar to what you already have.

Personally, I would recommend a GEM. I've just started trying one, and am amazed with the closeness of the shave on the second time with it. :cool:

+1 ... another vote for 39C.

Keep in mind that shaving with a Slant is a bit different from what you're used to ... there is a learning curve involved, and don't be surprised if you nick yourself once or twice in the first few days.

Give it a go with your regular blades, and once you learn the technique of handling it, upgrade to Feathers. You'll be amazed at how close a shave you can accomplish.

If you're getting DFS in 3 passes with your present gear, you might be able to get to BBS in 2 with a Slant plus Feathers. Yes, its THAT good.

According to the wiki, the agressiveness of the HD is between #3 and #4 on a Gillette adjustable.
How does the agressiveness relates between the HD and a 39C?

According to the wiki, the agressiveness of the HD is between #3 and #4 on a Gillette adjustable.
How does the agressiveness relates between the HD and a 39C?

On the Gillette scale of 1~9, I'd rate the 39C at about 12.

I had to open up both the Slim and the Fat Boy to a 9 to get a shave comparably close to the Slant. Not as close, or as smooth as the Slant.

And I have sensitive skin too.

Ouch! I'm not so sure anymore now. :a46:

Leisureguy recommends the slant as anyones 2nd razor after perfecting there technique.

Especially for those of us with heavy beards and sensitive skin, you owe it to yourself to try the slant, you can always get your money back here!!!

8<
Especially for those of us with heavy beards and sensitive skin, you owe it to yourself to try the slant, you can always get your money back here!!!

An aggressive out of scale razor for a heavy beard I can understand, but for sensitive skin seems contradictory to me.

Top Bottom