What's new

The Dresden Files

I really enjoyed the TV show The Dresden Files and am interested in reading the books possibly. Anybody here ever read any of these books?

Haven't seen the series (no TV so didn't know it existed) but have read the books. Good escapist fun and I can't imagine that they'd be less enjoyable than the TV series.

I'd say give the first one a shot and see how you get on.

Cheers!

Huon

I was quite disappointed to find out it was cancelled. Not high drama but like was stated above about the books, good escapist fun and they did a pretty good job with it. It was above and beyond what the scifi channel usually produces, as far as original content.

Not to threadjack, but the last 12 months or so sure have been harsh on shows I liked, with "Life," "Sarah Conner Chronicles," "The Unit," "Journeyman" and "Medium" all being cancelled, the latter evidently rescued by CBS however. Meanwhile, all stinking versions of CSI and Law and Order are still going strong...

I was quite disappointed to find out it was cancelled. Not high drama but like was stated above about the books, good escapist fun and they did a pretty good job with it. It was above and beyond what the scifi channel usually produces, as far as original content.

Not to threadjack, but the last 12 months or so sure have been harsh on shows I liked, with "Life," "Sarah Conner Chronicles," "The Unit," "Journeyman" and "Medium" all being cancelled, the latter evidently rescued by CBS however. Meanwhile, all stinking versions of CSI and Law and Order are still going strong...

It is tough to like a show that does not have a huge following.

It's been a while since I've read the books or saw the show, but if I remember right, the books have some differences (the ghost in the skull is different & he seems to be more befuddled in the books than on the show) , but they are a fairly enjoyable way to get a Dresden fix now that the show is over. I sorta like the show a bit better (he just seemed to be a little more put together than they portray him in the books), but that maybe because I saw it first and it tainted me. Either way, I'd say if you like either, you'd like the other.

It's been a while since I've read the books or saw the show, but if I remember right, the books have some differences (the ghost in the skull is different & he seems to be more befuddled in the books than on the show) , but they are a fairly enjoyable way to get a Dresden fix now that the show is over. I sorta like the show a bit better (he just seemed to be a little more put together than they portray him in the books), but that maybe because I saw it first and it tainted me. Either way, I'd say if you like either, you'd like the other.

I just watched the one season again on hulu. I imagine if I read the books I will imagine those tv characters as the stars. But thank you for giving me some good info there.

I have read them all. I am currently reading Turncoat. I'd be glad to pass the old ones along. They are all paperbacks. I have never seen the show but now I will have to watch it on hulu. I really enjoy the Harry Dresden character, a true flawed hero but the books are great. I also have read Jim Butcher's Codex Alera which is more High Fantasy instead of Urban Fantasy. They are great too.

I've read the first few and I thought that they were pretty good. Butcher isn't Jane Austen, but you knew that. Nice detective/supernatural procedurals. I found some of the character establishment stuff--aikido master, wizard, etc.--a bit too much, but the stories are good. It's summer and they're excellent vacation books.

Last edited:
I saw previews, but never got to watch any episodes. I'll have to check out the books(my preferred medium, if there's a choice). Looked good.

it was a good show,heads above most sci-fi channel offerings.i read the first few books and they were pretty good,had some plot devices that i thought were weak.but a good read.

I've read all the books and enjoyed them, thought they were way better than the series. I get a bit bored with the whole "hero/whiteknight" complex of the main character but I like the "world" he has created - full of interesting things. I find many of these book series are really good at the beginning but then I start to lose interest. I'm not sure if it's me or if it's just the 8th book of the same thing.

Top Bottom