What's new

Milled soap takes the cake ?

I'm just about to give up on creams....
I consistently get better results with triple milled soaps than any cream, and I don't really understand why this is.

I prefer creams for their stronger scents and variety, but milled soaps seem to out perform, or at least in my case.

Why why why....................................? :confused:

Me too..

That's why I have a shop full of cream

And

The shop next door is full of soap

Both shops are mine :biggrin:

The Wife thinks I'm mad

The kids think I'm crazy

But thats ok

I have the best fun in the morning

Cheers

I consistently get better results with triple milled soaps than any cream, and I don't really understand why this is.

I prefer creams for their stronger scents and variety, but milled soaps seem to out perform, or at least in my case.

What exactly is better?
Closer shaves? More cushion? Less irritation? Creamier lather?

A good shave is dependent on the type of beard, the characteristics of the lather, the razor/blade combo, prep, technique, ...
For a good shave all these factors have to be compatible.

For a good comfortable shave with most of my soaps I need a Feather because all the rest pulls.
For a good comfortable shave with Proraso (my only cream together with Olivia's) I need a sharp but smooth blade like Astra for example because with a new Feather I have the feeling of being skinned.

Choose the correct combination and your creams will give you most likely good shaves as well.

"Milled soap takes the cake ?"
The answer to this thread can be dealt with by persons far more qualified than I - I just wanted to congratulate Slickster514 on the drollery of the title.:lol:

Cordially AvT.

Last edited:
I've found the same thing recently. When I shave with soaps the result is always quite satisfying. When I break out the creams I'm frequently left wanting more. I've started using feathers pretty much exclusively (short of the few and far between straight shave) so that may explain my affinity for soaps. To each their own I guess.

Why fight it? I probably don't have the longevity to give you a truly useful answer, but from my perspective I use a triple milled soap exclusively, and I have no reason to shift to anything else. I'm a relative noob, and I try to keep my den as small as possible, so I don't have a lot to compare to, but I do get great results from my soap, so why worry?

I am exactly the opposite. I can get a great lather with just about all the creams I have tried; good cushion, slip, low irritation (unless I get careless), but with soaps I either get cushion or slip, never really both.

What exactly is better?
Closer shaves? More cushion? Less irritation? Creamier lather?

All of the above. :001_smile

Cream is for coffee, soap is for shaving.....:biggrin:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Soaps are just simplistic and traditional. Long lasting and consistent. When a gentleman has a quality razor, brush, puck of triple milled soap, and a great aftershave he really is armed with a great lineup to relax and enjoy a great shave experience. You really don't need anything other than that....add a cologne or EDT if you like and you have a quality shave den.

I also tend to get much better shaves with triple milled soaps. For me, they always have superior cushion and lubrication... Then again, I do find Omega's soap (semi hard, semi cream, a la Proraso) to be one of the best performers for me.

The weird thing about creams for me, is that the seem to be much more sensitive to user skill. For instance, I can get an excellent lather from TOBS Sandalwood, but I really have to try hard to get a decent lather with TOBS Eton... I'm sure a lot of it has to do with lathering methods, water hardness, brush quality, etc, etc, etc...

There are a couple of creams that I use that allow me to get as close of a shave as I do with soap. Salter wild rose and Taylor Almond work great. But any other scent of Taylor doesn't work quite as well. Why scent would make any difference with the Taylor's cream is beyond me but that's the way it is. I haven't tried any of the other Salter scents so don't know if I would find any difference there. I get good shaves with a cream, just not great.

Hi there,

Soaps in my small rotation include products like DR Harris, IK, and MWF, with a few others like TGQ and TSD to change things up. After a lot of trial and error, I seem to have found what works best for me.

There's a few creams I use that are just about the same quality as the first three names listed above........same performance and almost the same skincare. I would have a difficult time telling these from those soaps as far as slip and cushion.

The first would be the Art of Shaving creams. I've used both the lemon and unscented with great results, and will sometimes use that unscented version with an EdT added. This stuff isn't all that pricey, and is amazingly easy to lather.

The other cream I really like(used it today) is one called J Peterman 1903. This is another cream that's very easy and quick to use, and the results are a thick and protective lather with a LOT of slip.

Unfortunately, it runs $27(on the expensive side) plus shipping and is only available from their site. Heh, they do have other things offered(clothes for example), and the products look good from the pics. Oh, the tub of cream is a very generous 7 ounces.

Anyway, if you haven't tried these, they might be worth a look.
Martin

Last edited:
Top Bottom