What's new

ARGH, my blade is sticking to my hone!

So one of the side effects of an Ellis style blade jig (note I made this one myself, I'm not questioning his craftsmanship) is it magnetizes the blade. Then the blade wants to stick to my 1k grit DMT when I try and hone the blade!

1. Doesn't that mean the swarf is magnetized, and therefore sticking to my hone. Will this become a problem

2. How can I compensate for this sticking when honing?

I know heat, if brought up above a certain point (Curie level) will demagnetize. But there is likely a better way (I don't know how hot you'd have to heat up the blade...).

edit: ignore that, after some quick searching it seems you'd have to heat up the blade to incredible temperatures...

Last edited:
I know heat, if brought up above a certain point (Curie level) will demagnetize. But there is likely a better way (I don't know how hot you'd have to heat up the blade...).

You would have to heat it up pretty hot the scramble the atoms and demagnetize it. You could always drop it, that would do the trick! :biggrin:

You would have to heat it up pretty hot the scramble the atoms and demagnetize it. You could always drop it, that would do the trick! :biggrin:

It seems you'd have to bring the razor up over 1414 F :eek:

You could try little degaussing wands? I think you can get little bench units too. But these both invariably cost money...

Most TVs (older CRT, non-flat models) have built in degaussers that activate when turned on. You could try holding the blade against the television screen and turning it on. Might be a shot in the dark however...

Last edited:
It seems you'd have to bring the razor up over 1414 F :eek:

Just didn't believe me and had to look it up, eh? :biggrin:

You could try little degaussing wands? I think you can get little bench units too. But these both invariably cost money...

Most TVs (older CRT, non-flat models) have built in degaussers that activate when turned on. You could try holding the blade against the television screen and turning it on. Might be a shot in the dark however...

Nah, you don't need anything that fancy. Probably the easiest thing to do is to take a strong magnet and run it along the blade such that the magnet is trying to push back and resist movement. You do that about several times, it should be enough to demagnetize it. Don't over do it though, you do that and you'll just end reversing the magnetic poles on your blade.

Just didn't believe me and had to look it up, eh? :biggrin:

Nah, you don't need anything that fancy. Probably the easiest thing to do is to take a strong magnet and run it along the blade such that the magnet is trying to push back and resist movement. You do that about several times, it should be enough to demagnetize it. Don't over do it though, you do that and you'll just end reversing the magnetic poles on your blade.

That ought to at least demagnetize it enough to give me a fighting chance at honing it. Why didn't I think of that :lol:.

That ought to at least demagnetize it enough to give me a fighting chance at honing it. Why didn't I think of that:lol:.

Not a problem! That's what I'm here for... I think... :001_huh: :lol:

Interesting, I have never heard of this before. Can you explain more of what caused the magnetisation?

Well you'll have to excuse my ignorance in restoring straights. I just started so I haven't the faintest clue what an Ellis style blade jig is (My apologies to Bill! :blush:), but from the original post it sounds like the blade was in close proximity to a fairly strong magnet. Now if the blade was in contact with the magnet to a lengthy period on time, the magnet will start to align some of the iron atoms in the steel of the blade, magnetizing it. :smartass:

So one of the side effects of an Ellis style blade jig (note I made this one myself, I'm not questioning his craftsmanship) is it magnetizes the blade. Then the blade wants to stick to my 1k grit DMT when I try and hone the blade! That's 'cause you didn't buy one of mine. I ionized mine with a destemsting actuator. Just kidding... mine will magnetize a blade too. For those who want to make you own, go here. I don't have any left anymore and won't be making new ones for a while.

1. Doesn't that mean the swarf is magnetized, and therefore sticking to my hone. Will this become a problem

2. How can I compensate for this sticking when honing?

In a nutshell. A de-magnetizer. There are several cheap solutions. One of them is floating around the threads here on B&B if you look for it. I have an inexpensive plug-in model that works ok.

Do you think this guy would work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/T99-01-NEW-MAGN...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

EDIT: naturally I'd pick one in the UK, but the product is the same...

Meanwhile have I hurt my DMT with all those metal particles stuck to it?? I would think not as they are hard to hurt but I do try to take care of it. I probably already did a good 50-60 passes with the magnetized blade...
That's the one I have. It is not the best, but it works ok. Just use soap and water on your DMT and rinse it off real good. Dry it and you're set to go.

That's the one I have. It is not the best, but it works ok. Just use soap and water on your DMT and rinse it off real good. Dry it and you're set to go.

I don't need the best, I just need it to work. If you say it works then it should do the job for me just fine :biggrin:.

Hey all,

I'm reviving an old thread because I'm having the same problem (for the same reason - the Ellis Jig - the "magnatized razor" vs. the DMT is the only thing I don't like about this awesome addition to hand-sanding).

The link to the eBay demagnatizer listed above doesn't work anymore, could anybody comment on these two?

Number 1
Number 2

(Both are a available on eBay, too)
Have you had any success with either?

Thanks guys!

i was shocked by how magnetic these blades become.. BTW first time i used a jig, i was unaware of how to actually lay the blade down and wasn't so careful... luckily nothing happened, but it was a more effective eye opener than a cup of super caffeinated coffee.

Top Bottom