What's new

Can you post a picture of your "Travel" Kit?

I've got a trip coming up and this will be my first time traveling (by plane) since I started wetshaving 2 weeks ago! So its time for me to do some ordering of more travel-friendly supplies and I'm in need of some inspiration...

Can anyone post a picture of their wetshaving travel kit and it's contents?

I travel with a Merkur HD and a Feather Portable (for shaving my head). Each has a case (one leather, one plastic). More or less from left to right, there's a styptic pencil, a vial of pre-shave oil (though I almost never use it), a travel brush from AoS, a squirt bottle of Thayer's Witch Hazel, a vintage Colgate shave stick tube loaded with a cut-down Speick stick, a little jar of shaving cream soap, extra blades (Iridium, Feather, and Treet Platinum Special), and a little Nalgene bottle of AoS balm. There's an alum block in the ziploc bag on the shave kit, and a small, collapsible bowl that's not really adequate for lathering, but a good place to rest the brush when I'm shaving. In the past I took the larger bowl (same red silicone) for lathering, but I face lather when I travel, now.

That collapsible red bowl is interesting. Where did you buy it, if I may ask?
Did you stop using the larger one for any particular reason?

I like to travel light, so all my toiletries fit in this 7.5"x4.5"x3" bag. I prefer to take a Quattro to avoid any hassle. I've been reusing the sc and asb containers because they're the perfect size. Right now they're filled with Ingram and Proraso balm respectively.

View attachment 53794

That collapsible red bowl is interesting. Where did you buy it, if I may ask?
Did you stop using the larger one for any particular reason?

It's a Guyot Designs collapsible cup and bowl set from REI. They aren't my preference for backpacking utensils, and they don't insulate well at all. I stopped using the larger bowl because I found face lathering with a shave stick to be a great, a simpler, way to lather when on the road. The bowl actually worked pretty well as a shave mug, but it's big, and if I had to, I could lather in the little "cup", just not well.

I travel with a Merkur HD and a Feather Portable (for shaving my head). Each has a case (one leather, one plastic). More or less from left to right, there's a styptic pencil, a vial of pre-shave oil (though I almost never use it), a travel brush from AoS, a squirt bottle of Thayer's Witch Hazel, a vintage Colgate shave stick tube loaded with a cut-down Speick stick, a little jar of shaving cream soap, extra blades (Iridium, Feather, and Treet Platinum Special), and a little Nalgene bottle of AoS balm. There's an alum block in the ziploc bag on the shave kit, and a small, collapsible bowl that's not really adequate for lathering, but a good place to rest the brush when I'm shaving. In the past I took the larger bowl (same red silicone) for lathering, but I face lather when I travel, now.

Are those small, shaver-shaped cases with the snap sold many places? I'd love to get one for my HD for travel.

Here are a couple of mine.

Glorious Wardonia 1930's English Bakelite kit.
Excellent U.S. Cowhide Travel Set (eBay pic)
Full-out English Two-Tix set (With the other metal tube)

I usually carry one travel set (shower stuff, soap, etc.) and one shaving set (brush, soap, razor, liquids).

Master's Level tip: Many of the straps and spaces for the wooden brushes on these kits will hold a 100 ml rectangular Harris A/S or Milk bottle perfectly.

I travel light. I use a ball end Tech and put it in the soap box. I don't have to break it down, so I can leave the blade in. I use a travel bottle of Kiss My Face lather, a Body Shop synthetic brush, for faster dry times and I face lather. In the small bottles are Thayer's witch hazel and some patchouli scented organic hemp oil. I use a toilet paper roll to hold my brush. This all goes in my dop kit. When I travel by plane I take an old Trac II.

Formerly, a Dovo Shavette in its own plastic case that holds four full blades (hence eight Shavette blades) and a 1/2 ounce bottle of Pacific Shaving Oil.

Now I have a Merkur Travel, which breaks down into a really small case that also holds three blades. John at West Coast Shaving has one smokin' deal on the Travel (thanks, John :biggrin: ) Same bottle of Pacific.

A couple of threads here have dealt with airline security requirements.

Happy Travels :smile:

- John

Last edited:
wow, these pictures are great! I love how this is such an active forum :thumbup1: Very helpful in giving me some ideas on what to travel with.

If only the TSA didn't implement that 3-1-1 liquids rule...those must have been the glory days of traveling w/ wetshaving supplies back when it was all-you-can-carry.

The interesting part is that no two travel kits are alike - so if anyone else can snap a picture of theirs, the more the better.

is that an altoids box i see? great idea
It's a Dr Doolittle's Pink Grapefruit Pastilles box:biggrin:. But it's exactly the same shape and size as an Altoids.

I'm going to line the box with some hard foam with cutouts for the blades, razor head and razor handle. I'll post some pictures when it's done.

Top Bottom