What's new

First DE shave - Merkur Futur

Hey folks

Well...after weeks (actually, I think it was months!) of perusing these forums, I finally had my first shave yesterday with a DE Safety Razor.

My weapon of choice was the Merkur Futur, loaded with a Red IP blade.

Because this was my first DE shave I set the adjustable Futur to a setting of 1.5....and to be honest, the learning curve wasn't as high as I expected it to be. My first shave was probably no better, no worse than my Gillette Mach 3 cartridge razor. I have been shaving with the Gillette Mach for 8 years now so for my FIRST DE shave to be on par with this, well, I think it's terrific! I can tell as my technique improves my shaves will eventually be of a much higher quality. Not to mention a lot more enjoyable!

I have to say that the Futur is an incredible razor! I haven't got a bad thing to say about it!! I love the weight of the razor and I love the sound it makes as it slices through your hairs. I haven't got anything to compare it with, but this may be my first and last DE razor I love it that much. For my first shave I used Taylor's Avocado cream, because it came highly regarded on these forums. I actually thought this cream would be green so I was a bit surprised when I saw white. I didn't notice much of a scent to this creme at all and I was a tad disappointed because I expected great things. However, it did lather fantastic and I felt like a pro because it lathered so easy...I guess that's why so many people love this cream...but for some reason I expected more.

I shaved WTG and then decided on a second pass (only face, not neck) XTG. I did miss a few areas and it wasn't BBS but as I said above, I'm very happy with my first attempt.

HOWEVER, I do have a very sensitive neck. Even with the Mach 3 (after years of experience) it sometimes feels like I'm dragging barbed wire across my throat. With the Merkur Futur, it didn't feel very comfortable when shaving my throat area. Let's just say that I KNEW there would be razorburn as I dragged the razor across my skin. Heaps of tiny blood 'dots' appeared (I think people on these forums refer to them as weepers?) and there was significant razor burn around my throat area. I used Trumpers Skin Food and a few hours later the razorburn was pretty much gone, fantastic stuff! However, as much as I love shaving, I never look forward to the neck region. Am I doing something wrong? Is my technique floored? Do others have a sensitive neck like me?

Based on my first shave, I'm very confident I could turn the futur up to 2 or 2.5 for my face, but I don't know how to fix this neck problem. It's something that's annoyed me for years but the DE shave probably made it a bit worse than normal.

Overall, I give the Future a 9 out of 10...and as my technique improves, this may well get upgraded to a 10. I'll write a full review in the Review section when I get the chance. Also, if anyone can assist me with my above questions regarding my neck/throat when shaving it would be much appreciated.

The neck is a problem area for many of us. With a razor as heavy as the Futur, make sure you avoid any pressure. Let the weight of the razor do the work. Also, make sure you map out the direction of your hair growth on your neck. I have a couple of areas on my neck where the usual N-S pass is actually ATG. It took some time, but once you get the grain figured out, it really helps the quality of the shave. Lastly, if possible, let your neck heal up between shaves by skipping a day so that you don't keep the area irritated.

You're a brave man to go with the Futur as the first DE razor.

I will echo what the barrister said, namely NO PRESSURE on the neck. Nice and easy.

Good Luck!, and Welcome!

I had a similar problem with my neck area when I first started using a DE.
I rubbed a credit card in various directions across my neck, after letting it heal for a couple days.
Ended up that south to north passes caused the least drag with the plastic I tried shaving this way and it worked out very well.
You will have to use a little pressure as you are working against gravity, but as all the above gents have said keep it light!

By the way, the Futur was my first DE since about 1972, also. From 2006 till now, it is still my favorite razor.
Best of luck,
Mike

Last edited:
You're a brave man to go with the Futur as the first DE razor.

I will echo what the barrister said, namely NO PRESSURE on the neck. Nice and easy.

Good Luck!, and Welcome!

I was very hesitant going with the Futur as the first DE razor but I'm glad I did. I found it to be a fairly straight forward process (with the Futur set at 1.5). Saying that, I did have a bit more difficulty with my neck than I usually do...but in general the jump into DE shaving was a lot less scary than I imagined. Highly recommended!!

I had a similar problem with my neck area when I first started using a DE.
I rubbed a credit card in various directions across my neck, after letting it heal for a couple days.
Ended up that south to north passes caused the least drag with the plastic I tried shaving this way and it worked out very well.
You will have to use a little pressure as you are working against gravity, but as all the above gents have said keep it light!

By the way, the Futur was my first DE since about 1972, also. From 2006 till now, it is still my favorite razor.
Best of luck,
Mike

Thanks Mike for the credit card example. I'll definitely give that a go!!

Same issues on my neck the first couple shaves with a DE. I let it rest for a day in between the first three shaves and I think my technique improved. I believe I had an angle problem on my neck and it took a shave or two to map out the grain. Now I still tread carefully, but have not had razor burn in weeks, outside of one shave where I was trying a new razor. Learning curve again I suppose.

Matt

I was very hesitant going with the Futur as the first DE razor but I'm glad I did. I found it to be a fairly straight forward process (with the Futur set at 1.5). Saying that, I did have a bit more difficulty with my neck than I usually do...but in general the jump into DE shaving was a lot less scary than I imagined. Highly recommended!!

I have a Futur. I have set to 6. The only way it shaves as close as a Slant.

Lou,
This is just another great example of how subjective our shaving is.
I have two slants, the barber pole 39C and the smaller HD sized one. They both shave my face pretty well, especially in the open areas, like my cheeks. But I don't use them very often because they both irritate the sensitive parts of my face after a few days of usage.
My Futur, set at around 3, with a Crystal or a Red Personna shaves me every bit as close as the slants do, and with no irritaion at all.
The phrase YMMV is overused to the point of being a little annoying, but it is true.
Enjoy your shaves the way you like'em
Mike

Ok, second shave with the Futur today. I had a few days off so my neck could recover from the razorburn after the first shave.

I increased the Futur from 1.5 to 2 for my face as I felt I could deal with this ok. I did 3 passes, WTG, ATG and XTG.

I'm still having a bit of difficulty with the correct technique for ATG. The Futur is quite heavy and I don't know how to hold it properly. I ended up holding it like a dart and stroking against the grain with this grip on the razor...felt a bit awkward to begin with but I got used to it. Not sure if there's a better way to hold the razor for ATG??

I used Proraso cream...took a bit longer to lather than Taylor's Avocado and it didn't seem quite as thick. However, the menthol & eucalyptus work to great effect and I probably preferred it to Taylor's Avocado. I'll try Trumper's Violet next.

I again used the same Red Personna blade I used for my first shave. I've got nothing to compare with but I'm very impressed with this blade. I'll try Derby's next and hopefully my face responds well to these as well. I'll try Feathers in a week or two.

The shave was still not quite BBS, but nearly there! Very impressed after only 2 haves with this razor! I think my ATG technique let me down a bit because I didn't hear the wonderful cutting sound the Futur makes very much when doing this pass. Due to the way I was holding it my razor angle may have been a bit out as well.

My neck was a lot better than my first shave. Still not perfect and I got a number of weepers but hardly any razorburn this time.

I stuck with Thayers Witch Hazel immediately after the shave and used Trumpers Skinfood about 10min after that as a sealer. I'm loving this combination, especially the Witch Hazel! In Mantrics video he puts the Witch Hazel on with a wet face. I tried that this morning and it seemed to work good...although it seems a bit weird as I thought your face should by dry.

Anyway, I'm loving the Merkur Futur and am actually looking forward to shaving again.

Also, many people have whinged about the blade replacement on the Futur and the adjustment method...PUH-LEASE! Peace of cake and definitely not dangerous. This is a tremendously well crafted razor and I commend the Merkur team that put this masterpiece together. I do notice I can slightly move the top piece of my Futur (once clipped on)...only a few millimetres. But I don't think this affects the shave at all.

I'm with you on the niceness and NEAT factor of the FUTUR.

I don't share the neck problem.
Your technique will get better over time.
Best advice I received re wet-shaving:
Focus on technique; the hair will come off.

Have you tried a preshave? for the neck area???

Face prep is key to a fine shave.

Between good prep and a fine technique I'll wager that you will have NO neck irritation.
May take a while...
Welcome to luxuriating in the community :)
Tom

yep.. I know your sentiments.

I started shavign with a DE for the first time 3 weeks ago and I will never look back.

I started with the mergress and I love the shaves. After the two weeks now either my technique has changed or my skin has adjusted because I dont get the bumps I used to unless I go all out for a baby soft shave.

I must have pigs hair for my beard because I only liked to use M3 blades twice because of the pulling and in some areas it was painful. I'm using my DE with Persona reds and I now shave twice a day many days... live is so much improved.

Sounds like everything is coming along well for you. I have the Futur as well and it is a fantastic razor. Don't worry too much about not holding it right, just do what works well for you. I love Trumpers Violet, great cream!

- Aaron

My neck area is fantastic today...infact it was fantastic an hour after my second shave. My technique is nowhere near perfect but I did feel a lot more comfortable with the second shave. And the Witch Hazel/skin food combo is really working for me as well.

I'm really looking forward to my third shave tomorrow using Trumpers Violet. That stuff is really purple! I then plan to change the blade from Red Personna to Astras. I'll perform three shaves on that before moving to a Derby. Three shaves on that before moving to Feathers. I just want to try a variety of combos and see what works best for me. I'm over the moon with the Red Personnas though...great blades!

All hail the Futur !!

Hold off for a tiny bit with Feathers I'd say. At least until getting a weeper is a rare occurence even in a rushed and "sloppy" shave. That's what I'd say, but hell YMMV.
I second the no pressure point.
And also the point about mapping your grain. Then neck area is VERY hard to shave (for me) if I'm not going WTG and XTG before ATG. You may be accidentally going ATG on your first pass even.
Your prep also matters. Try different things. Kyle's prep. A hot shower. Washing your face/not washing your face in the shower, etc. Try them all and find what works for you. For example, people always recommend Kyle's prep. It just doesn't work for me. It's amazing for others.
Hopefully, you will soon have a neck that feels fine without skin food ir any extra time after your shave

Thanks! I like being called brave haha!

I was nearly shaking for my first shave with the Futur but after a few strokes I began to relax. I don't see too much of a problem using this as your first DE. However, continue to call me brave!! :)

Hold off for a tiny bit with Feathers I'd say. At least until getting a weeper is a rare occurence even in a rushed and "sloppy" shave. That's what I'd say, but hell YMMV.

This is good advice in my experience.
If you're getting weepers from Redpack Personnas then Feathers will probably tear you apart.

A lot of weepers are caused when contact with a hair follicle causes the edge of the blade to deform. That deformation then makes it more likely that you will hit a high spot and shave off a bit more of the skin layer in that tiny spot than across the rest of the blade.
You aren't actually cutting yourself, but in that little spot the layer of skin left is thin enough that osmosis can cause blood to seep through. Cold water causes the blood vessel to contract into the skin ever so slightly, which is why you can stop a weeper without having to result to the styptic as you do when you actually cut yourself.

That said, Feathers are certainly sharper than Personnas, but that thinner edge also makes them a bit weaker which can result in more edge deformation; especially if you go too fast or use too much pressure as you shave. This is the reason why a lot of people refer to Feather's as being both sharper and "rougher" than other blades they try.

As you're learning your technique, I think it's best to strike a balance between sharpness and strength. It's more forgiving that way.
And for me, Redpack Personnas have that perfect balance.

I stated with the Futur and added the HD really fast. I am using the HD during the week and he Futur on the weekend.

Very happy with the easy fast HD shave during the week and the more intense Futur shave on the weekend when I have more time to slow down and let the heft of the HD do its thing.

The heft difference in unmistakable, but they are each wonderful tools in their own respect.

The FUTUR has been around since those times!?! I thought it was a recent design...Anyone knows the first year of production?

Top Bottom