What's new

how do you make your Tuna Salad Sandwich??

As summer's approaching full swing i've been really into tuna salad sandwiches.

my general recipe has been:

• 1 can tuna (in water/with salt)
  • 1.5 Tbs Veganaise
  • .5 Tbs Dejon Mustard
  • Capers
  • Pinch of chili powder
  • Pinch of garlic powder
  • Pinch dill & oregano
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

ideally, i use a nice quality bread, a slice of cheddar, and a piece of romaine.

how do you make yours?

Last edited:
a friend just recommended:

• Tuna
  • Mayo
  • Pickle

im not sure why that just doesn't sound as appealing...

I open the can, drink the water inside, yes I said I drink the water inside the can, then throw the tuna on however my sandwiches I want and enjoy. I don't like all that fancy pants mayo or pickle taste interfering with the tuna.:001_tt2::lol:

Two schools of thought in my household. I used to use capers, too(SWMBO has banned that practice). We like a mixture of solid white tuna, Hellman's (Bestfoods, I think on the W. Coast), a dash of chilli pwdr, dash of cayenne, dash of garlic pwder, and freshly ground black pepper. Served up on rye is my personal favorite, with greenleaf lettuce or romaine, and usually pepperjack cheese.

The other school of thought is, a glob of mayo and tuna mixed, some Ruffles potato chips, and some sliced dill pickles all squashed together between some bread. That's the way I liked it as a kid, and sometimes in a rush, it hits the spot as an adult.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
half a tin of tuna, 1 small onion diced, 1 tablespoon of mayo, salt/pepper + 2 slices of bread! That easy.

One can well drained solid tuna (packed in water), Eight hard boiled eggs fine chopped, real Hellman's mayo, salt and pepper to taste.
Slam a heaping spoonful between two slices of homemade bread, add some shredded lettuce and I'm good to go.

Last edited:
You could try a warm tuna sandwich. I've done a grilled cheese and tuna salad before or make a tuna white sauce and put it over toasted bread. It it's more of an open faced sandwich and it needs a fork and a knife.

One can well drained solid tuna (packed in water), Eight hard boiled eggs fine chopped, real Hellman's mayo, salt and pepper to taste.
Slam a heaping spoonful between two slices of homemade bread, add some shredded lettuce and I'm good to go.

Yup - I'm a firm believe in tuna salad with egg. I add chopped onion also.

On a side note, I was scanning this thread for use of the pleonasm "tunafish" (as opposed to some other kind of tuna), but no one's used it yet. :wink:

I just made a tuna fish, or salad if you prefer, sandwich last night.

1) Drain every last drop of water (no oil packed tuna for me) from a can of white albacore tuna.
2) Add the least amount of mayo just to make the tuna "stick" (Veganaise is pretty damn good, too).
3) Add Habanaro Tobasco and pepper to taste.
4) Apply to nice section of crusty french bread.

Basically, I like dry and spicy.

:cool:

Tuna in water ,drained
Tablespoon of Best Foods mayo
Teaspoon of mustard
a dash of worcestershire sauce
some chopped onion
some celery seed
teaspoon of relish
salt and pepper to taste
on bread or eaten as is with fork

Two schools of thought in my household. I used to use capers, too(SWMBO has banned that practice). We like a mixture of solid white tuna, Hellman's (Bestfoods, I think on the W. Coast), a dash of chilli pwdr, dash of cayenne, dash of garlic pwder, and freshly ground black pepper. Served up on rye is my personal favorite, with greenleaf lettuce or romaine, and usually pepperjack cheese.

The other school of thought is, a glob of mayo and tuna mixed, some Ruffles potato chips, and some sliced dill pickles all squashed together between some bread. That's the way I liked it as a kid, and sometimes in a rush, it hits the spot as an adult.

Both sound extremely Delicious! each school of thought can really satisfy a different meal.

8!? are you using a larger size can?

You could try a warm tuna sandwich. I've done a grilled cheese and tuna salad before or make a tuna white sauce and put it over toasted bread. It it's more of an open faced sandwich and it needs a fork and a knife.

Im really glad you brought up the tuna melt. along with Walter S. it can fit an entire category on it's own!

I just made a tuna fish, or salad if you prefer, sandwich last night.

1) Drain every last drop of water (no oil packed tuna for me) from a can of white albacore tuna.
2) Add the least amount of mayo just to make the tuna "stick" (Veganaise is pretty damn good, too).
3) Add Habanaro Tobasco and pepper to taste.
4) Apply to nice section of crusty french bread.

Basically, I like dry and spicy.

:cool:

That sounds like it could KILL, nice!

Interesting that EVERYONE uses the Tuna packed with water... do you folks have a preference for salted or unsalted?

what is the best beverage to enjoy with any of these Tuna Sandwich options.

to clarify, if this is a lunch option on the weekend, beer would be my answer. however, during the week wouldn't it pair well with an iced tea!!

a tuna melt in the evening would be a wine meal, i would imagine.

You guys are forgetting the grapes. You gotta put red grapes, sliced in half, in it.

DL

Interesting, I'll give that a try. I usually save the grapes for chicken salad.

AND A BIG +1 on the TUNA MELT. A whole different beast and when done right, it's a very very fine sandwich.

Also, we no longer use canned tuna, we buy the stuff in the vac. sealed pouches. There's definitely a difference in texture, firmness, and taste, IMO.

I make my tuna salad with either chicken or egg and leaving out the tuna. :biggrin:

that's not nessicarily a bad thing, egg sandwiches could have their own thread!

thanks for posting, there are some serious highlights and gems in that thread!

You guys are forgetting the grapes. You gotta put red grapes, sliced in half, in it.

DL

well done, great addition!

Interesting, I'll give that a try. I usually save the grapes for chicken salad.

AND A BIG +1 on the TUNA MELT. A whole different beast and when done right, it's a very very fine sandwich.

Also, we no longer use canned tuna, we buy the stuff in the vac. sealed pouches. There's definitely a difference in texture, firmness, and taste, IMO.

Awesome!! this is something i need to try asap! is there a particular brand you've found?

Top Bottom