What's new

Hair Pomade/Oil And Ivy League/Classic Pompadour?

I am looking at getting my hair cut to something that can best be described as a combination of an Ivy League and a Classic Pompadour (James Dean style)

In other words, something that is neat and tapered on the back and sides, but yet able to brush toward the back. Longer on the top. Just a bit longer on the top than the Classic Businessman's cut.

Any suggestions for some sort of hair oil that would keep things in place, but not look like I took a grease gun to it?

The Hispanic woman at the local Family Dollar suggested applying a few drops (less than 1/4 tsp) of "Tres Flores Brilliantine" worked thoroughly into the hair prior to brushing to keep things under control, but yet not totally greased out.

Any suggestions for a product other than Tres Flores? Or, is that good enough? I am secure enough in my masculinity to not be threatened by the floral fragrance. Besides, I think it would blend wonderfully with Italian Floid or Musgo Real aftershave.

Warmest Regards,

David

Last edited:
I have a subtle Pomp with my dark blonde (we call it "dirty fair" over here!) curly hair. I have garnered a few "James Dean" compliments, which i revel in cos i think his hair is cool. I don't like grease cos it makes my hair darker and my curls tighter. So i use a water-based fixative or something soluble, such as a gel. A heavy, mineral-oil type wax merely sits on the hair and makes it darker.

For a gel i would recommend Lush 'Big Tease' Styling gel. Get a sample if you can. It smells quite like Trumper's Marlborough, except younger and fresher. When i wear it i often get asked what cologne i'm wearing. I reviewed it here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48929

http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/hair/styling-gels/the-big-tease

Get a sample if you live near a Lush!

Also there is American Crew Forming Cream. I find this a great all rounder for matte styling. It does darken my hair, but holds it all day. It's a great compromise between the water soluable and the thicker creams. I can brush and re-style my hair with it and it is still managable. Good natural hold if brushed through again once dried. You can put it in wet hair and leave it for a wetter look. Probably the best all-rounder i know. If you're going for a Jimmy Dean look and want that good matte hold (as opposed to greaser) pomp, then i'd strongly recommend this.

I have a subtle Pomp with my dark blonde (we call it "dirty fair" over here!) curly hair. I have garnered a few "James Dean" compliments, which i revel in cos i think his hair is cool. I don't like grease cos it makes my hair darker and my curls tighter. So i use a water-based fixative or something soluble, such as a gel. A heavy, mineral-oil type wax merely sits on the hair and makes it darker.

For a gel i would recommend Lush 'Big Tease' Styling gel. Get a sample if you can. It smells quite like Trumper's Marlborough, except younger and fresher. When i wear it i often get asked what cologne i'm wearing. I reviewed it here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48929

http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/hair/styling-gels/the-big-tease

Get a sample if you live near a Lush!

Also there is American Crew Forming Cream. I find this a great all rounder for matte styling. It does darken my hair, but holds it all day. It's a great compromise between the water soluable and the thicker creams. I can brush and re-style my hair with it and it is still managable. Good natural hold if brushed through again once dried. You can put it in wet hair and leave it for a wetter look. Probably the best all-rounder i know. If you're going for a Jimmy Dean look and want that good matte hold (as opposed to greaser) pomp, then i'd strongly recommend this.

Interesting, that you would describe your dark blond hair as "dirty fair". I've never heard it described in that manner!

My hair colour is probably much like yours by the description. I do have to admit that I am of both British and Spanish descent.

In other words, very fair, freckled skin and "dirty fair" hair (as you put it) and blue-eyed. However, my great grandmother was much the same and her maiden name was Santiago-Matamoros.

I will check out your links. However, I don't particularly wish to darken my hair. I wish to keep it "British Blond", but yet with the panache of Spanish/Hispanic styling and fragrance.

Warmest Regards,

David

Last edited:
Yeah, i think it's a Northern Irish-ism. It's almost brown, but lots of natural highlights. in Winter or with gel it looks light brown. In summer it's more blonde than brown. It would be similar colour to Hayden Christensen or Justin Timberlake.. Incidentally, though my family have been here for generations i have a French surname... Huguenot stock... Scots-Irish French. Strangely, my dad seems to have a 'throwback' Mediterranean gene expressed in his skin colour, according to a test he had. We also have some 'non-white' type milk intolerance going on in the family. I thought he was black until i was almost 10, though he has blue eyes! Strangely though, fair hair and blue eyes are very dominant in my siblings and their children. And i thought dark was more dominant..

Anyway, i have another product idea: Truefitt C.A.R. Haircream (without oil) You can set it wet and sort of crunch it out. It will lose some hold, but keep shape and colour. I find the American Crew Forming cream great for re-styling. And the more you do it, the lighter your hair looks, but it retains some hold. Lush really are worth looking in to. I use their Marilyn deep hair conditioner sometimes as it really enhances the blonde in my hair. totally campy sounding, but all towards the end of looking good for me and my gf!

regarding Jimmy Dean, there is a high school photo of him in which he seems to have pretty pronounced cowlicks. His fringe would have grown UP, thus helping him keep a bouffant/pomp. I think he might have used hairspray or vitalis, but certainly doesn't look like grease. Strangely he seems to have been darker when younger. I wonder if he got highlights, or if it was just ropey lighting. I just know that i was snowy blonde as a wee boy and darkened to my present shade. Pigmentation doesn't go the opposite direction!

From reading your post, i gather that you're a 60 something gent? If you've got some silver threads among the gold, i think a lanolin-based product (Like American Crew Grooming Cream or Nancy Boy Pomade) would really enhance it. So many grey/ing guys in this forum talk about the latter as giving them a George Clooney look!

I'd avoid products made by LUSH. While they are well known and many flock to their stores to drool, the fact remains that most people who buy them are actually very dissapointed when they actually use the product. They may look pretty but they are actually made very poorly. Many people have skin reactions to the ingredients as well, especailly to their hair products. And don't for forget how over priced they are. But maybe their hair gel is different.

Many that give them good ratings don't know the difference between high quality and low quality. (as with any product that happens) Because those that do know the difference can point their faults out right away and are not happy after they realize what they spent for junk.

JMHO
I haven't used their products myself but know others that have, and have read many reviews on the net.

My pomp seems to be slightly longer than yours, but this is what I use:

proxy.php

I do not recommend the Tres Flores. It's basically like adding Crisco to your hair. The only way I could ever see it coming in handy is to add a little bit of shine, but you'll get plenty of that from the Dax High and Tight.

I'd avoid products made by LUSH. While they are well known and many flock to their stores to drool, the fact remains that most people who buy them are actually very dissapointed when they actually use the product. They may look pretty but they are actually made very poorly. Many people have skin reactions to the ingredients as well, especailly to their hair products. And don't for forget how over priced they are. But maybe their hair gel is different.

Many that give them good ratings don't know the difference between high quality and low quality. (as with any product that happens) Because those that do know the difference can point their faults out right away and are not happy after they realize what they spent for junk.

JMHO
I haven't used their products myself but know others that have, and have read many reviews on the net.

After your long rant, you concluded with, "well, i haven't tried the products myself, but..."

the fact remains that most people who buy them are actually very dissapointed when they actually use the product.

Well i have. And i do know quality. I have spent likely thousands of pounds (double that for dollars) searching for products.

but know others that have, and have read many reviews on the net.

Really? Then you'd realise that most people that review them do so highly.

Many people have skin reactions to the ingredients as well, especailly to their hair products.

I have Psoriasis, so most high street stuff irritates my skin. Though the Lush stuff is heavily perfumed, it has mostly organic ingredients and with the exception of their spray deodorant, nothing has irritated me.

Many that give them good ratings don't know the difference between high quality and low quality.

Really? I have a range of products from Molton Brown, Truefitt and Hill, Trumpers, Penhaligons, D R Harris and Taylors, and find Lush's product line to be of equal quality (albeit not packaging) for lesser price.

A lot of what a person buys is made of similar substances, but at a higher concentration. Ingredients are listed in order of quantity, but percentages are not listed. Go look at your most expensive shampoo of bodywash. The first ingredients you will read are likely: Aqua (water), sodium laureth sulfate...

with cocamide betaine... sodium chloride... in the mix. The latter is salt, for a bulking agent!

Go to K-Mart and find the most nasty cheap showergel. The ingredients won't be much different and the first three will probably be the same. It follows that a lot of products, even high end are just more concentrated, with a few less nasties and bulking agents, nicer perfume and packaging. But you're paying for the same thing.

As for Lush, if you read their ingredients there is a lot of good, natural stuff. Shea butter etc in moisturisers. Their shampoo bars have SLS, but it is their first ingredient. Meaning that they are super concentrated and last a long time. All their products are hand made, which can lead to the occasional blooper, but otherwise i'd suggest that you try them for yourself before positing yourself as a passionate critic of something you don't know. Who knows, you might like some of their stuff.

JMHO

After your long rant, you concluded with, "well, i haven't tried the products myself, but..."

Well i have. And i do know quality. I have spent likely thousands of pounds (double that for dollars) searching for products.

Really? Then you'd realise that most people that review them do so highly.

I have Psoriasis, so most high street stuff irritates my skin. Though the Lush stuff is heavily perfumed, it has mostly organic ingredients and with the exception of their spray deodorant, nothing has irritated me.

Really? I have a range of products from Molton Brown, Truefitt and Hill, Trumpers, Penhaligons, D R Harris and Taylors, and find Lush's product line to be of equal quality (albeit not packaging) for lesser price.

A lot of what a person buys is made of similar substances, but at a higher concentration. Ingredients are listed in order of quantity, but percentages are not listed. Go look at your most expensive shampoo of bodywash. The first ingredients you will read are likely: Aqua (water), sodium laureth sulfate...

with cocamide betaine... sodium chloride... in the mix. The latter is salt, for a bulking agent!

Go to K-Mart and find the most nasty cheap showergel. The ingredients won't be much different and the first three will probably be the same. It follows that a lot of products, even high end are just more concentrated, with a few less nasties and bulking agents, nicer perfume and packaging. But you're paying for the same thing.

As for Lush, if you read their ingredients there is a lot of good, natural stuff. Shea butter etc in moisturisers. Their shampoo bars have SLS, but it is their first ingredient. Meaning that they are super concentrated and last a long time. All their products are hand made, which can lead to the occasional blooper, but otherwise i'd suggest that you try them for yourself before positing yourself as a passionate critic of something you don't know. Who knows, you might like some of their stuff.

Play nice you's two... :lol:

Last edited:
The American Crew Products are good but expensive. Try either the Forming Cream or the Grooming Cream, the key is how much you use, their products are very concentrated and you don't need alot, especially with the grooming cream, I sometimes use it in place of groom and clean, and if you use alot you will have a slick look, aka 50's 60's..... They both wash out nicely if not over applied. As for the Tres Flores- the liquid brillantine is very oily so go easy. On my last haircut, my barber used the jar formula of this- (consistency of vaseline) and while it looked very shine and neat, it was very greasy and a little hard to wash out.

I am looking at getting my hair cut to something that can best be described as a combination of an Ivy League and a Classic Pompadour (James Dean style)

In other words, something that is neat and tapered on the back and sides, but yet able to brush toward the back. Longer on the top. Just a bit longer on the top than the Classic Businessman's cut.

Any suggestions for some sort of hair oil that would keep things in place, but not look like I took a grease gun to it?

The Hispanic woman at the local Family Dollar suggested applying a few drops (less than 1/4 tsp) of "Tres Flores Brilliantine" worked thoroughly into the hair prior to brushing to keep things under control, but yet not totally greased out.

Any suggestions for a product other than Tres Flores? Or, is that good enough? I am secure enough in my masculinity to not be threatened by the floral fragrance. Besides, I think it would blend wonderfully with Italian Floid or Musgo Real aftershave.

Warmest Regards,

David

proxy.php
Murray's! Use just the amount you need and it will not make you hair look greased out. Use a lot and it may well look greased out and you will have trouble washing it out of your hair. Fantastic stuff though.

proxy.php
If the Murray's does not do it for you and neither does the Royal Crown (I love Royal Crown, but it might be too greasy) give 360Style a shot. It seems greasy than Murray's to me when the Murray's is used judiciously, and less so than the RC, but does wash out easily and holds well.

Get it from an Indian grocer, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding it.

It gives the hair (not that I have any) good shine, and nourishes the hair from within. This is probably why so many Indians have good hair (well, the women do, the men without turbans tend to dye their hair a lot to maintain the youthful black!)

My wife uses it, the smell isn't overly floral, to me it smells a little soapy. Not unpleasant but definitely a unisex smell.

also try dax short and neat its what i use

I just ordered some of it, along with the original dax, and the dax lite. Now the summer humidity is here I need something with a little more hold to combine with the groom and clean. I'm hopin these leave a nice shine... I was going to order them from a site called the greaseshop.com and lucked out and found them at a local barber supply.

Top Bottom