What's new

Ready to buzz for the summer, do it myself?

Hi gents,

I'm ready to buzz my head again after years of sporting a short, but non-buzzed style. The question is, can I do a decent job on initial buzz by myself? Some folks are suggesting I have my barber do the initial job, and then I can easily maintain myself with my clipper kit.

In any case, looking for some advice/feedback :)

A good answer depends on what you're looking for and your equipment. If you have a decent clipper set (not something light-weight) and you just want an even cut all over, you can do it yourself. Scissors to cut off most of it, then clean it up with the clippers.

If you're looking for a cut where the hair is longer in some places than others, you can do that with some help. But you also need a dollop of attitude. In case it doesn't quite come out right. :001_smile

I have a set of Wahl barber clippers (this version: http://consumer.wahl.com/product.cfm?sid=9&ID=43 but they have a number of other consumer styles), use the #1 guard, and just shave my head using that. Leaves maybe 1/8" of hair. Let it grow for a couple of weeks and repeat.

proxy.php

Hi gents,

I'm ready to buzz my head again after years of sporting a short, but non-buzzed style. The question is, can I do a decent job on initial buzz by myself? Some folks are suggesting I have my barber do the initial job, and then I can easily maintain myself with my clipper kit.

In any case, looking for some advice/feedback :)

Go to a barber... if your noggin isn't perfectly consistent you'll end up with divots and high spots... your hair care professional will compensate for this.

I don't go for the all over buzz, but a medium fade. But if you and a significant other are really patient you can both learn your way around a clipper set. My wife started off terrified but has got to the point where she can do a real decent haircut. The learning curve wasn't easy( for either of us:frown:) but there is plenty of info on the net. If your single doing your own hair though might keep you that way:wink:

BTW: Got my Andis clipper set at wal-mart for ~$25 and it works great

Short hair, even with a fade, is pretty easy, especially if you have a 2nd set of hands. I used to do some of my dorm mates when I was active duty.

If nothing else, start with it a bit longer (ie. Go on a 3 instead of a 1) and if you can't get it even yourself, there's still enough there for the barber to work with.

I picked up my Wahl clippers from Sears for under $50 USD (honestly, i think it was under $30).

Go to a barber... if your noggin isn't perfectly consistent you'll end up with divots and high spots... your hair care professional will compensate for this.

Not my hair care professional... I have to trim it up after they do it:lol:

But, I do enjoy the company

I used a Wahl clipper to give myself a #4 buzz cut every month for many years. Just a little tricky cutting a smooth curved line on the back of the neck with a mirror. Go for it!

I used a Wahl clipper to give myself a #4 buzz cut every month for many years. Just a little tricky cutting a smooth curved line on the back of the neck with a mirror. Go for it!

I do exactly the same thing, but I use a pair of barber shears to touch it up around my ears. The missus trims and shaves the back of my neck for me. If I could find a good old man's barber shop, I'd use it. However, they seem to be pretty much gone. As it is, the money I save fuels my various acquisition disorders.

It's completely doable yourself. The first time or two, like anything else, you'll want to go slow. Try to use two mirrors to see how the back is coming along. Remington makes a buzzer specifically made for DIY buzz cutters. It has a slightly curved shape and a long blade to make things easier and faster. It's pretty good, too.

I used my clipper set the last time I did it. I was fairly ambitious and used scissors on top and everything. I thought it was pretty good, at least for having done it myself. My girlfriend didn't walk out, so it couldn't have been that bad. I've paid for maybe 2 haircuts in the last 7 years. Though, I tend to go for 6-9 months in between.

Top Bottom