What's new

I'm determined...

to use exactly ONE shaving cream until it's done for a change. Why? Because I wanna. :)

I bounced around between a few of my creams (proraso red, art of shaving sandalwood and lavender, speick, several others) and have settled on AoS's superb Lavender cream. I'm 3 days into doing it - and it's going just fine. I'm finding that the cream is very forgiving in terms of water - too much water DOES thin the lather out, but it still provides a very good shave.

Yes, I'm still mixing it up on the aftershaves. :) Todays was The Shave Den's (absolutely incredible!) Absinthe splash followed by a touch of Crabtree+Evelyn post-shave cream. DFS++.

Have you ever tried this? Any success? Because after three days... the lack of shave cream variety is already getting to me.... and my shave soaps are giving me a stink-eye, too.

Woh Oh !!! Commitment, commitment... :w00t:
I just cannot help encouraging you about that. :wink:

You'll learn a LOT, on your cream, your technique, your other tools and.....yourself; provided you hold on till the end :rolleyes: !!

See, I've been going with Palmolive Euro Classic cream exclusively in my first 2 month of wetshaving and have been loyal to my TOBS Avocado for 5 weeks in a row between Novembre and December. Now, I'm in with Joshmpdx in his June soap opera (we intend to use the same soap throughout the whole month of June). Note that I chose D.R. HARRIS Arlington and that I am also highly tempted with Doc4 Jularlington theme: that would make 2 months in a row once again.

I quite often go with a definite setup for a whole week as well; the point/trick is to choose good products. I've read fine reviews about AOS, so you should be just fine. From the list you mentioned, I would have started easy with the Speick cream. It is packed with goodies for your skin so you cannot see yourself forced to stop using it, it has an intoxicating scent, growing on you as you use it instead of getting you tired of it, and last but not least, the tube is only 75ml, which makes the commitment all the more easy to hold on to. Begin with small steps, but be sure to succeed, hence you'll be stronger next time; get my point here.

Your point about mixing/boosting the experience with changing AS is a good one IMHO. Let's just say it will help avoiding boredom...

Anyway, these were just my 2cts, but I really want to wish you good luck with your experience.
Oh, and BTW, what cream do you plan to purchase to replase the AOS once it is finished? You know, it's good to have an aim to focus on; what's your dream of a cream?? You'll be proud you did if you succeed and that one will come as a reward, being only more pleasant as it would have been if it was just click n' cash...

Keep us posted and keep it up!!

C_J

Woh Oh !!! Commitment, commitment... :w00t:
I just cannot help encouraging you about that. :wink:

You'll learn a LOT, on your cream, your technique, your other tools and.....yourself; provided you hold on till the end :rolleyes: !!

See, I've been going with Palmolive Euro Classic cream exclusively in my first 2 month of wetshaving and have been loyal to my TOBS Avocado for 5 weeks in a row between Novembre and December. Now, I'm in with Joshmpdx in his June soap opera (we intend to use the same soap throughout the whole month of June). Note that I chose D.R. HARRIS Arlington and that I am also highly tempted with Doc4 Jularlington theme: that would make 2 months in a row once again.

I quite often go with a definite setup for a whole week as well; the point/trick is to choose good products. I've read fine reviews about AOS, so you should be just fine. From the list you mentioned, I would have started easy with the Speick cream. It is packed with goodies for your skin so you cannot see yourself forced to stop using it, it has an intoxicating scent, growing on you as you use it instead of getting you tired of it, and last but not least, the tube is only 75ml, which makes the commitment all the more easy to hold on to. Begin with small steps, but be sure to succeed, hence you'll be stronger next time; get my point here.

Your point about mixing/boosting the experience with changing AS is a good one IMHO. Let's just say it will help avoiding boredom...

Anyway, these were just my 2cts, but I really want to wish you good luck with your experience.
Oh, and BTW, what cream do you plan to purchase to replase the AOS once it is finished? You know, it's good to have an aim to focus on; what's your dream of a cream?? You'll be proud you did if you succeed and that one will come as a reward, being only more pleasant as it would have been if it was just click n' cash...

Keep us posted and keep it up!!

C_J

lol there's no plan to purchase a replacement. :) My shave den is seriously overstocked in general. Off the top of my head, soaps and creams:
Creams:
AoS Sandalwood
AoS Lavender
Proraso Red
Proraso Green
Kiss My Face Patchouli
Kiss My Face Lavender
Godrej Limes
Speick

Soaps:
Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet
AoS Sandalwood
AoS Lavender
AoS Lemon
Tabac
Speick stick
Irisch Moos stick
Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood
Pre de Provence
QED Chocolate stick

And I KNOW I'm forgetting a bunch of them, and you can also add in lots of samples of everything from Truefitt and Hill to Penhaligons to various artisinals.
SO yeah, no replacement in mind. :) I just want to start burning through some stuff.

I'm with you. I want to, and I try to, but it is hard to go longer than 3 to 7 days. I have found that I really need to use each one for around 5 days in a row in order to get a real feeling for what I like and don't like about a given product. Some, I learn that I really do like them better than ever before if I can take a few days to concentrate on making the best lather and getting the best shave out of them. Others, their weaknesses really start to annoy me after about 3 days, and I start to feel much better about eliminating them from my variety.

I'm with you. I want to, and I try to, but it is hard to go longer than 3 to 7 days. I have found that I really need to use each one for around 5 days in a row in order to get a real feeling for what I like and don't like about a given product. Some, I learn that I really do like them better than ever before if I can take a few days to concentrate on making the best lather and getting the best shave out of them. Others, their weaknesses really start to annoy me after about 3 days, and I start to feel much better about eliminating them from my variety.

and that's the problem I'm nervous about running into here, to be honest. I love the latherability and scent of AoS lavender and the great job it does overall... but the funny part here is that Proraso and Speick (which bought together don't even equal the price!) are both better performers. :) I also worry that, seeing the weather finally getting so much warmer, I'm going to regret going with a non-menthol shave cream for the time being....

ah well, I'll just have to invest in more mentholy goodness on the aftershave end. :)

to use exactly ONE shaving cream until it's done for a change. Why? Because I wanna. :)

I bounced around between a few of my creams (proraso red, art of shaving sandalwood and lavender, speick, several others) and have settled on AoS's superb Lavender cream. I'm 3 days into doing it - and it's going just fine. I'm finding that the cream is very forgiving in terms of water - too much water DOES thin the lather out, but it still provides a very good shave.

Yes, I'm still mixing it up on the aftershaves. :) Todays was The Shave Den's (absolutely incredible!) Absinthe splash followed by a touch of Crabtree+Evelyn post-shave cream. DFS++.

Have you ever tried this? Any success? Because after three days... the lack of shave cream variety is already getting to me.... and my shave soaps are giving me a stink-eye, too.

You're more disciplined than I. Here's a thought stream I had this morning while shaving and looking over my accessories.
Six creams
One soap
Two brushes
Two bowls
Four passes per shave--average--

Why not mix up two separate lathers and alternate them on each pass?
Stay tuned for an update in a few days.

You're more disciplined than I. Here's a thought stream I had this morning while shaving and looking over my accessories.
Six creams
One soap
Two brushes
Two bowls
Four passes per shave--average--

Why not mix up two separate lathers and alternate them on each pass?
Stay tuned for an update in a few days.

ohhh interesting idea... and a TOTAL pain in the neck. :) i love it. Let us know how it goes!!!

I have emptied two tubes of Proraso using it daily, and I still use it every time I put in a new blade because I am so familiar with how it should work.

I have emptied two tubes of Proraso using it daily, and I still use it every time I put in a new blade because I am so familiar with how it should work.

Proraso's too easy to use everyday. total no-brainer. LOVE that stuff.... if they ever discontinue it, I'm gonna go broke buying every tube I can.

Not only a pain in the neck, but wasteful too. I'll justify it by skipping a shave, unless it turns out better than expected. Wait! I got it. All those years I went without shaving at all. Why, I'm entitled to a different cream for every pass
and a couple new brushes
and some bowls
and a new straight
Gotta love rationalizations.

When I get two more tubes of Godrej Mist I'm going to be using one tube until it's done. My air conditioning is broken and it's honestly not as bad as I thought it'd be. I think it's funny that I've actually used it as an excuse to order Osage Rub and 444. Is it possible for your face to get frostbite if you use Godrej Mist then follow it up with a mixture of Osage Rub and 444? I'll be finding out soon enough :lol:

Day 4 down, this time followed with a wonderful splash of proraso and the proraso balm as well.

also switched razors (to an injector) for my second pass, then back to the fat boy for my final pass.

learned today while shaving: injectors are awesome for getting under the nose.

Top Bottom