What's new

Rooney Beauties: "Special" Faux Tortoise Handle

These :001_tt1: gorgeous :001_tt1: ladies arrived today after a short delay due to the holiday weekend. Tortoise is one of my favorite materials; these brushes are here to join several pairs of sunglasses and reading glasses in my expanding tortoise collection. Jim and Erin are fantastic, super helpful, and a dream to work with. Jim hand picked my brushes for me with the shortest lofts possible at the time to feed my facelather obsession.

Below is the Rooney Special 3/1 Pure Badger with a 46.4mm loft, and it's sisterbrush, the Rooney Special 3/1 Super Silvertip with a 45.8mm loft. They're currently taking a dip in the sink, so while they're soaking up lets post some glamor shots!

Rooney Beauties, fresh out of the box.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Why hello there, you two.

I like to see them come, and I love to watch them go.

Another angle, drip stands in the back.

Gorgeous.

Pure on the left, Super on the right.

Lastly, comparative sizing with Merkur HD, ST-301 blades and Speick shave cream.

Thanks again to Jim and Erin at Vintage Blades LLC. I will definitely be returning for future purchases :thumbup1:

Updated with bloom pics. Not a huge bloom (yet) but even softer than when they arrived (hard to believe in itself, they were soft from the get-go) and all the more luxurious for it.

Rooney Beauties, chillin' at the breakfast table.

Hey girls.

Backsides.

Lush.

Top down.

Comparison.

Super in the bowl

Wet super on a puck of Mama Bears

Meant to take pics mid-lather, got carried away in the shave and forgot to pick up the camera again :redface: Here's my SOTD instead, which gives some idea of the postlather look.

Last edited:
Very fine looking brushes! Comparing the knot on the pure vs. the Super Silvertip is no comparison - the Super just looks so much better up top.:biggrin:

Those are very nice looking brushes. I recently ordered the coral handled one, but after seeing your pictures of the tortoise (which, admittedly I did not care for at first) I think I like.

Those are very nice looking brushes. I recently ordered the coral handled one, but after seeing your pictures of the tortoise (which, admittedly I did not care for at first) I think I like.

When I first looked at the new handles the coral spoke to me immediately. After seeing additional pictures in different lighting I realized that while indeed pretty, the coral simply didn't tug on my heartstrings like the tortoise I know and love in so many other "accessories."

Is that the new 3/1 that has been discussed in several posts? Those look fantastic.

They are the new handled Rooney Specials available at Vintage Blades, but they're arguably short-loft 3/1's in alternative handles. In short, yes. :p

Last edited:
What does this mean?

The brush loft on the 3/1 is normally 50mm, the loft on my super in the picture is 45.8mm. The answer to your question is yes, these are the "new" 3/1 brushes everyone talks about, but they're called "Rooney Special" on the Vintage Blades website. Sorry if that wasn't immediately clear.

Top Bottom