What's new

I got really bad shave from using Derby Extra blade

Boy, Oh Boy! I got really bad shave from using Derby Extra blade when I shave at around 3:30 AM after I take a shower. I dont' know why that I use Derby Extra along with T&H West Indian Limes and seem that it kind of harsh and rough. I got so many cuts all over my necks and two minor cuts on my upper lips. I'm very upset about this. I was trying to across the grain little fast and got so many cuts and after that I got red rash all over my necks and lower cheeks.

I'm going to give up Derby Extra and going back to red personna. I like Personna, it nice and smooth and it didn't make me bad shave or any cuts. I have no problems with it.

Do you have any bad experience when using Derby Extra? I hate Derby Extra. I'm going to throw away and it dead. no more Derby from now on, I'm still using Personna.

Any comments?

Chris A:mad3:

i havn't used personnas, but i have used the precision blades made in israel by personna, and i will say this, they weren't quite as smooth on the skin as the derbys, but i found them to be sharper and produce a slightly better shave in my tech.

both were decent baldes i would keep around for variation.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Perhaps there was a bad blade in the pack. This happens from time to time.

Do you have any bad experience when using Derby Extra? I hate Derby Extra. I'm going to throw away and it dead. no more Derby from now on, I'm still using Personna.

Any comments?

Chris A:mad3:

I've had the same experience. After using Feathers or Gillette Bleues on a daily basis I was equally disppointed when trying the Derbys. It just wouldn't do! :frown:
Maybe it was my fault, I'll have to try again one of these days (although I don't feel very eager).
I'm really convinced that you have to use different angles with different blades in order to get a good shave. But some are simply too hard to handle.

I have had a similar bad experinece with the derby's. I'll try one more blade just to make sure it wasn't a bad blade but If I get the same result, in the trash they go.

I think folks are willing to put up with Derby's because they are **** cheap...if you've got anything worth shaving then they generally won't. Get rid, there's a reason why better blades are pricier.

YMMV, I suppose. I've never been crazy about the Derby blades. But then, I also hate the Feather blades that everyone is so crazy about.

I think folks are willing to put up with Derby's because they are **** cheap...if you've got anything worth shaving then they generally won't. Get rid, there's a reason why better blades are pricier.

They work for me - way better than Gillette Platinums do (and without the honking oil on the blade)

As for the equation of price versus quality, that's a load of cobblers (IMO) - with big brands (like Gillette) you pay for the brand (and marketing expenses) rather than the actual product, dunno about you but I'd rather pay for the product than an advert - they leave papier-mache on my face when I use them to shave :smile:

The thing is different blades/soaps/creams/razors/water/oils work for different folks - half the challenge is finding what combo(s) work for you.

I also had a horrid Derby experience using one with a Merker 38C. Thought they were garbage. Tried one with a 40's style SuperSpeed a couple weeks ago and now they are one of my favorites. I don't understand the reasons why, but it seems like some blades work better/differently with different razors. Weird!

Oh?

I've tried almost every brand out there and find Derbys give the best shave. The price is definitely a bonus though. They definitely don't work for everyone, but just as an example, I think Feathers are crap and there are hundreds of guys that are going to say they love them, and don't get me started on the price... :wink:

Anyhow, Chris, don't worry about it... Everyone's different so everyone will have a different favorite. If they don't work for you just sell/trade them in the BST instead of tossing them in the trash, no sense in wasting money.

I've tried almost every brand out there and find Derbys give the best shave. The price is definitely a bonus though.

Everyone's different so everyone will have a different favorite. If they don't work for you just sell/trade them in the BST instead of tossing them in the trash, no sense in wasting money.

Bingo.

I've worked through the WCS sampler a couple times and always come back to Derby. While I can't argue with the price, that's largely a by-product bonus. For me--my face, my razors--Derby blades work better than anything in that pack. A couple others work about as well, but they don't work any better, and they do cost more.

I'll probably cycle around the WCS sampler again sometime to re-evaluate and keep myself honest; but, for now, I've got my winner.

The take-home point, I think, is that sampler packs should be a mandatory part of everyone's DE learning experience as soon as practicable.

They work for me - way better than Gillette Platinums do (and without the honking oil on the blade)

As for the equation of price versus quality, that's a load of cobblers (IMO) - with big brands (like Gillette) you pay for the brand (and marketing expenses) rather than the actual product, dunno about you but I'd rather pay for the product than an advert - they leave papier-mache on my face when I use them to shave :smile:

The thing is different blades/soaps/creams/razors/water/oils work for different folks - half the challenge is finding what combo(s) work for you.

When was the last time you saw any advert for any DE blade in any medium in the UK in the last 20 + years or since the introduction of the multi blade cartridge??? I think that the last time you may have done so was indeed the last time shoe repairer's were indeed called cobblers.(IMO)

I do agree with your'e last statement though.

When was the last time you saw any advert for any DE blade in any medium in the UK in the last 20 + years or since the introduction of the multi blade cartridge??? I think that the last time you may have done so was indeed the last time shoe repairer's were indeed called cobblers.(IMO)

The Gillette brand is paid for by *every* item that carries it's name - whether that particular item is advertised or not - it's called brand equity.

Derby's work really great for me. Just because a blade gives a bad shave doesn't mean it's cheap or crap. It may just mean the blade doesn't do well for your beard.

DL

I get my best shaves with Derbys. I like the Feathers fine in an old Gillette, and the RPIP's give me a very smooth shave (as in easy on the face, not necessarily very close), but FOR ME the Derbys do the job in every razor, every time.

That is why you must try the blades for yourself before you make a decision -- one man's ceiling is another man's floor, and all that.

Enjoy!

I've had the same experience with Derbys. They came as part of my sampler pack and I have to say they were bad... I got nicks and cuts and redness that I've never had with 7 O'clock Yellow, Crystal, Dorco or Walmart Personna.

Derbys and IP red packs remain my two favorite blades. Feathers only give me two decent shaves and then instantly turn to garbage and Crystals, which are also quite popular with a lot of people, give me a very rough shave.

If this was your first experience with a Derby then give it a second try in a month or so. As has been suggested here, if you have more than one razor, try it in another razor. If both of these attempts don't work for you then definitely give up on them. For all the talk of cost, blades are the least expensive part of wet shaving. It won't break the bank if you purchased these and they did not work out for you.

Whatever you decide, good luck. :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom