What's new

Favorite Books from your childhood.

The Duchess Bakes a Cake by Virginia Kahl. My mother checked this out for me and my sister when we were tiny army brats in occupied West Germany. A nice tale, with figures inspired by medieval manuscript tradition. The Duchess bakes a cake that goes out of control, mounting sky-high, forcing the castle's residents to eat everything to calm the situation. So what started out as a thin cast of characters ends up with the same as rendered pleasantly plump at the end.

https://www.amazon.com/Duchess-Bake...t=&hvlocphy=1018145&hvtargid=pla-491937600706

The Duchess Bakes a Cake by Virginia Kahl. My mother checked this out for me and my sister when we were tiny army brats in occupied West Germany. A nice tale, with figures inspired by medieval manuscript tradition. The Duchess bakes a cake that goes out of control, mounting sky-high, forcing the castle's residents to eat everything to calm the situation. So what started out as a thin cast of characters ends up with the same as rendered pleasantly plump at the end.

https://www.amazon.com/Duchess-Bake...t=&hvlocphy=1018145&hvtargid=pla-491937600706
Totally iconic book from when I was in single digits !!!

I can't believe I actually found the cover to this book.
It was The Raggedy Man, a poem by James Whitcomb Riley.
My grandmother had this very book and used to read it to us as young children. It was wonderful.

proxy.php

In about the 3rd grade, I read all selections from the Boxcar Children series the library had.

The World Book encyclopedia was my go to for nearly everything before the internet. Mine were from the mid-60s. It hasn't been that long ago that I tossed the set out.

My second-grade teacher used to read us passages from "The Boxcar Children" in class. I really enjoyed that. As I recall, they would haul stuff out of the city dump, dishware and so forth, and put it to use. It's come to mind during my adult years too when I have been in straightened circumstances...

I can't believe I actually found the cover to this book.
It was The Raggedy Man, a poem by James Whitcomb Riley.
My grandmother had this very book and used to read it to us as young children. It was wonderful.

proxy.php
My mom used to read me Little Orphant Annie when I was a wee little one. I think that's why I grew up liking scary movies.

There are some fabulous books listed here! Many of them i have read myself (though by no means all!) I just thought I would add a few books I loved myself and don't recall seeing posted here.

Remarkable Ramsey, The Talking Dog. - Barbara Rinkoff
Wild Animals I Have Known - Ernest Thompson Seton
The Wolf King - Joseph Wharton Lippincott
Rascal - Sterling North
The Incredible Journey -Sheila Burnford
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM - Robert C. O'Brien
Light In the Forest - Conrad Richter
Old Yeller / Savage Sam - Fred Gibson

And for the comics lovers who may have missed it, the tremendous The Trigan Empire, by Don Lawrence

I remember a book about a little boy who survived the Johnstown Flood; our teacher read it to us the same year she read Island of the Blue Dolphins. I simply cannot recall a title; anybody out there have any idea what it may have been?

Baseball card adventures by Dan Gutman. I will be buying the entire collection for each of my nephews when they are 7 or 8.

Last edited:
One of my all time favorite books from when i was in fourth grade was “Call of the Wild) i must have read it 3 times during class when i was supposed to be doin schoolwork. No wonder i failed most of my classes! Nowdays im a huge stephen king fan! If only i found out about him when i was young i would have failed every class 😜

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
One of my all time favorite books from when i was in fourth grade was “Call of the Wild) i must have read it 3 times during class when i was supposed to be doin schoolwork. No wonder i failed most of my classes! Nowdays im a huge stephen king fan! If only i found out about him when i was young i would have failed every class 😜
Love Kings early work.
Two books of his that sorely disappointed me were Duma Key and the last book in the Dark Tower series.
The rest have been a thrill ride.

I havnt read those but ill put them on my list of books to never read 😂 i could never get into the dark tower, even the movies i wAs like what is this!! But i know my magics strong 😜 thank everyone for the book suggestions, ill make sure to find them on audible! Cause im lZy as shiz and i dislike reading nowDays!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom