What's new

Yet Another DE Newb

Utter newbie so this will be a jumble of things I've been stewing over for the few months I've lurked. I'm just going to list them and any questions I have. Hopefully it won't be too rambling.

1) I'm planning on ordering a Savile Row 208 from QED to tide me over until(fingers crossed) I get the B&B brush. Read somewhere that QED switched brush suppliers so thought I'd ask if that's worth worrying about.

2) I was watching an Ebay auction that had a Superspeed and a Fatboy but too many people noticed it. Should I be patient or go ahead and get the Merkur HD from QED as well? Twenty-eight dollars so not too weighty a decision. The main concern I had here is the cleanliness of auctioned razors that are not, explicitly stated to be "cleaned", "sanitized", "autoclaved", etc. Without a box full of lab/barber supplies can I clean something well enough to not contract hepatitis or ebola or whatever the hell else may be UPSed to my door?

3) From ClassicShaving, an alum block and I was thinking about <a href="http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522952/203766.htm">this bowl</a> for lathering. But I saw some nice stone bowls at Em's and was wondering if the quality difference was enough to justify the additional cost($12.99 at Classic's vs. $30-$40 at Em's...both w/ soap). I doubt I can go wrong with either but was hoping someone could give me an informed opinion of each.

4) For soap containers I was thinking about small Rubbermaid burp tops--Stainguards(I think...from The Container Store). That should make melting, stacking, storing, etc. easier unless I'm totally missing something which wouldn't be a shock. The Rubbermaids are 1.1 cups volume...is that sufficient enough for the more popular soap sizes? Shouldn't be a problem adding texture to the inside and outside.

5) I was planning on hitting up Scotto for his aftershave and cream samples but wasn't sure what the hell I should get. I'm a virgin in all things non-canned. And I've never used an aftershave.... I'd like to stay away from anything too extreme.

6) I looked all over trying to avoid asking this question but here I am. Scars. I have one(3/4" long...kind of like an extremely flat Y) on the bottom of my chin(1/4" below jaw line...not very noticeable). How annoying will that be with a DE? Am I looking at a daily bloodbath unless I keep the Mach 3 around to mop up the area?

I promise this will be the longest post I ever make.

Utter newbie so this will be a jumble of things I've been stewing over for the few months I've lurked. I'm just going to list them and any questions I have. Hopefully it won't be too rambling.

1) I'm planning on ordering a Savile Row 208 from QED to tide me over until(fingers crossed) I get the B&B brush. Read somewhere that QED switched brush suppliers so thought I'd ask if that's worth worrying about.

The SR's that charles offers are of spectacular quality. I have a 3000 series and its currently my favorite brush. I'm also getting the B&B brush.

2) I was watching an Ebay auction that had a Superspeed and a Fatboy but too many people noticed it. Should I be patient or go ahead and get the Merkur HD from QED as well? Twenty-eight dollars so not too weighty a decision. The main concern I had here is the cleanliness of auctioned razors that are not, explicitly stated to be "cleaned", "sanitized", "autoclaved", etc. Without a box full of lab/barber supplies can I clean something well enough to not contract hepatitis or ebola or whatever the hell else may be UPSed to my door?

Be patient on ebay, there are plenty of razors popping up here and there. also check your local antique shop. You can "clean" and "sterilize" razors on your own. In fact, you should probably do this even if they claim it to already be done.

That said, you may do well by getting yourself a Merkur HD as well

3) From ClassicShaving, an alum block and I was thinking about <a href="http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522952/203766.htm">this bowl</a> for lathering. But I saw some nice stone bowls at Em's and was wondering if the quality difference was enough to justify the additional cost($12.99 at Classic's vs. $30-$40 at Em's...both w/ soap). I doubt I can go wrong with either but was hoping someone could give me an informed opinion of each.

QED also sells Alum blocks, just ask him to drop one in for you

4) For soap containers I was thinking about small Rubbermaid burp tops--Stainguards(I think...from The Container Store). That should make melting, stacking, storing, etc. easier unless I'm totally missing something which wouldn't be a shock. The Rubbermaids are 1.1 cups volume...is that sufficient enough for the more popular soap sizes? Shouldn't be a problem adding texture to the inside and outside.

These sound ok, but maybe slightly small in the diameter?

5) I was planning on hitting up Scotto for his aftershave and cream samples but wasn't sure what the hell I should get. I'm a virgin in all things non-canned. And I've never used an aftershave.... I'd like to stay away from anything too extreme.

Tell him to pick for you out of his personal favorites....he has good taste (for the most part:lol:)

6) I looked all over trying to avoid asking this question but here I am. Scars. I have one(3/4" long...kind of like an extremely flat Y) on the bottom of my chin(1/4" below jaw line...not very noticeable). How annoying will that be with a DE? Am I looking at a daily bloodbath unless I keep the Mach 3 around to mop up the area?

Can't help with that, but I would say DE will give you less trouble than a cartridge. I could be wrong.

and......Welcome to B&B

:badger:

Glad to have you here.

I have been on this forum a grand total of 3-4 days. I just got my first Merkur HD today. I have a nasty scar right at the bottom of my chin. About an inch and a half scar, where I had stitches twice, the second time needed two layers of sticthes, so when I say nasty scar, believe it. :) Anyway, I just shaved for the first time with a DE razor, and the scar gave me no troubles whatsoever. So fear not and forge ahead.

-Michael

www.ubuntu.com
www.gentoo.org

M

modern man

Welcome! :cool:

I have not tried the SR brush but I hear they are good.

Soap dish eh i just use and old bowl or mug from the kitchen.

Go for the Merkur HD I love mine :biggrin1:

When you get a sample pack from Scotto take the time to read the review threads.

You can also check the other forums on B&B and find a good quality Gillette. Prices are reasonable and you will know what you are getting.

To throw another wrench at the monkey, you might want to consider an adjustable Merkur. I started out shaving with DE years ago, left it, as I became a victum of slick marketing. I have now returned to my senses, and got a DE VISION. Love that razor, as it lets me adjust the blade exposure, as I refined my technique. It also might help you manuver around the sensitive area on your chin.

Just a thought.........good luck.............and glad to have you aboard!

TraderJoe, I'm not Ebay-savvy enough to risk sitting around for weeks without a razor. The more I think about it the more I think I need a Merkur.

Is there a way to embed links here? Just noticed the href didn't work on my OP. Anyways, here's the Rubbermaid:

http://tinyurl.com/y9l4do

Measures 4 3/8" x 4" x 2 1/2" h
I'm guessing that is upper diameter x lower dia...? If they fail horribly it's still only a buck 99. Stash it away for travel or something.

Goose, thanks for the LetterK suggestion. I guess I'll add that to my list.

By the way, you can call me whatever...SA, Matt, BMatt. I'm from San Antonio...SA. My creativity genes are recessive.

Brail, that's a load off. Thanks for the insight. By the way, what brand/type of blade have you used thus far?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

your plastic bowls should work well. most soaps are 3" diameter.

the way to imbed a link is to copy the link, highlight some text, then click the globe icon with a chain through it.

take care,

It looks like you are willing to spend some money on your DE gear.
Don't bother looking at ebay. Go buy a brand freakin' new wicked Merkur HD. I love mine and in fact received a great shave with it today in addition to using Taylor's Avocado cream (Thanks for the samples Scotto.)

Joe,
Love the ND hat. Go Irish!

Brail, that's a load off. Thanks for the insight. By the way, what brand/type of blade have you used thus far?

I only have one shave under my belt with a DE razor. I used my new Merkur HD with the sample blade, which is also a Merkur. I have one of letterk's sampler packs in the mail, should be here tomorrow or Saturday.

-Michael

Welcome to B&B SA!

Looks like you are off to a great start with your purchases. Don't worry about the length of your posts- no one else does!

You will be assimilated!

Marty

This is a repeat from an earlier response I posted. The directions of the strokes may change depending on the 'direction' of your scar, but you should be able to figure it out...

I, too, have a chin scar --on the right side of my chin, the result of a childhood injury. It is about 1/4" wide in the middle and looks like a cats eye, and is hairless. The 'cats eye' runs N-S. N-S passes 'with' the scar are no problem. Cross shaving E-W is another issue. This cross shave is what I'll address.

The DE/open blade shaving problem E-W with a scar like this is that the blade goes from whiskers (resistence), to hairless scar (no resistence), then back into whiskers (resistence again). I have no nerves or feeling in the scar tissue itself. The problem is that the blade leaves the whiskers, slides or skips across the scar, then suddenly - Bang, it abruptly hits the whiskers (and skin) on the far side of the scar. This is where you'll have trouble.

If you're not careful, you can cut yourself on the far side of the scar. A more common problem is that the razor edge can scrape or 'scuff' the skin on re-entry. This may result in some pretty serious razor burn, even without a cut.

Here's the solution to the scar problem: Shaving N-S, in the direction of the scar isn't a problem. When cross shaving E-W, shave 'up to' very near the scar. Stop and rinse razor. Stretch the skin, including the scar, VERY VERY TIGHTLY. Then, very deliberately shave through the scar, with a very uniform, steady motion. If you are attentive and deliberate you'll cleanly shave both sides of the scar with no problem and no irritation.

I will also say that if you have an unusual shaped scar, it would help to stretch the skin to 'flatten' it out in the lengthwise stroke as well. With a little practice, you'll find that shaving a scar really isn't a problem.

Good Luck. let us know your outcome.

-- John Gehman

you should have no problem with your scar when shaving with the DE.

go for the new merkur HD, or used. ebayed razors can easily be cleaned and boiled for sterility, so you'll be fine ordering one of those if you want to.

Welcome Matt(!),
The Merkur HD is a great first DE, it's what I started with and probably all I need. I've just got a '61 Gillette Slim Adjustable from ebay just for a bit of variety you understand, but I'm stopping there, I definately won't be buying a mint '62 Fat Boy or any others in the Merkur range, no no no no !

Well, I put things on hold for a couple days to wait on an auction. Lost and don't see another "kit" like it popping up soon enough to feed the beast so I've bit the bullet. I ordered a Shavemac finest, Merkur HD, few bars of Col Conk soap, cream and aftershave sampler from Scotto, and a blade sampler from Letterk. Spent about the same as the winning bid on the "kit" and don't have to worry about boiling/barbicide/etc. Can't complain.

Thanks to everyone for their input especially Letterk(pm's).

Just to keep my newbness confined to one thread....

I prefer to buy as local as possible. Nothing politicial, xenophobic involved...I'm not on a crusader or anything. I saw a couple mom-and-pop type soap makers(Em's, Saint Charles) who make creams as well as soaps. Most, it seemed, made hard soap only. Is the only difference between the two which base you use--KOH or NaOH? If so it seems like a trivial matter to offer both. Is KOH much more dangerous than NaOH? Or does it require heating or something else? Even if it does require hot process wouldn't the ability to package immediately offset the added effort/expense? Keeping inventories for weeks of cure time seems pretty inefficient. Though, I guess, it does make quality control easier. Anyway, I was just wondering why more vendors didn't offer cream.

Just to keep my newbness confined to one thread....

I prefer to buy as local as possible. Nothing politicial, xenophobic involved...I'm not on a crusader or anything. I saw a couple mom-and-pop type soap makers(Em's, Saint Charles) who make creams as well as soaps. Most, it seemed, made hard soap only. Is the only difference between the two which base you use--KOH or NaOH? If so it seems like a trivial matter to offer both. Is KOH much more dangerous than NaOH? Or does it require heating or something else? Even if it does require hot process wouldn't the ability to package immediately offset the added effort/expense? Keeping inventories for weeks of cure time seems pretty inefficient. Though, I guess, it does make quality control easier. Anyway, I was just wondering why more vendors didn't offer cream.

I don't believe KOH is any more volatile/dangerous than NaOH.

As for they more "home-soapers" don't offer creams....my guess is that some just prefer to specialize in one thing, while others (that do carry creams) prefer to be able to offer their customers more options.

SCS has only recently begun carrying creams (2-3 months?). I'm sure she probably had a lot of requests for creams and so decided to develop and produce them.

Top Bottom