What's new

Folding Vs Non-folding

Hi there. What is the difference in using a non-folding, Japanese-style straight? I take it you have to change your grip/technique a little?

I have wondered the same thing, more so because every Japanese razor I have seen pictures of has a profile that seems to favor one side over the other; as if meant to shave someone else (as opposed to oneself) with it.
So, those that have used one, what technique do you use?

You don't have to change your grip much if it's simply a fixed-blade razor, like say the feather AC fixed vs folding. There's some differences but they're easily adapted to.

The big thing is that traditional japanese straights - the kind you have to hone - have a radically asymmetrical grind. Some guys only get good shaves from one side of the blade, and *that* will force a huge change in your shaving technique, to the point where you practically have to learn how to shave all over again.

These razors are also not traditionally stropped - you shave straight off the hone, which means you need a really high grit hone like a Nakayama and good honing chops. You can strop them if you want, but the asymmetrical grind makes stropping a bit odd, and you have to be careful that the spike point doesn't gouge your strop.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You don't have to change your grip much if it's simply a fixed-blade razor, like say the feather AC fixed vs folding. There's some differences but they're easily adapted to.

The big thing is that traditional japanese straights - the kind you have to hone - have a radically asymmetrical grind. Some guys only get good shaves from one side of the blade, and *that* will force a huge change in your shaving technique, to the point where you practically have to learn how to shave all over again.

These razors are also not traditionally stropped - you shave straight off the hone, which means you need a really high grit hone like a Nakayama and good honing chops. You can strop them if you want, but the asymmetrical grind makes stropping a bit odd, and you have to be careful that the spike point doesn't gouge your strop.

Always the very best info from mparker. :thumbup1:
Whether it's a saw with backwards facing teeth or a single bevel knife, the Japanese do things a bit differently.

The only thing I'd say is yes you do strop these razors the same as any other type of straight and yes you do need to be a bit more careful not to nick your strop.

Also honing techniques are different than for a traditional straight.

I have used both the folding and non-folding Feather AC and as mparker said, it is easy to transition between the two. However, I do find it slightly easier to maneuver the non-folding version.

In the folding version, part of your grip is used for blade stabilization, whereas you don't have to worry about stabilizing the blade in the non-fold version.

Was offered and accepted a folding one this morning. Just waiting for "in the know" to get back to me. I've been wanting to try an AC for ages, as it seems to take away all doubt about the blade and would allow me to concentrate simply on technique.

I have used both the folding and non-folding Feather AC and as mparker said, it is easy to transition between the two. However, I do find it slightly easier to maneuver the non-folding version.

In the folding version, part of your grip is used for blade stabilization, whereas you don't have to worry about stabilizing the blade in the non-fold version.

If your using the feather non-folding version as I recall that's not a traditional Japanese straight because it has the same blade configuration on both sides. A tradional straight is asymmetric and designed to be used on one side of the blade. The transition from a western straight to a Japanese is not easy for most.

Top Bottom