What's new

7 O'clock Sharpedge changed

sharpedge old vs new.jpg

Older PPI blades users know all PPI blades used to be double wrapped back in the days. Later around 2012-2013 they dropped the paper envelope and you had only wax paper. In 2017 all of their blades got the new Gillette logo and most of them had the ©2017 on the back of the packs. Inscription with the blade name appeared on the wax paper.

I have been using for years the 7 O'clock Sharpedge. The ones I use currently were bought in 2011, double wrapped - the left on the photo.
A couple of years ago I bought the new design - ©2017, on the right of the photo (manufactured 10/20). Back then I just used one blade and it felt significantly milder than the old double wrapped stock. I remember someone else saying the new stock were less sharp.

So I did this comparison. Two consecutive days with the same razor (ATT Windsor Pro Aluminium), tube and brush. I am 100% positive the blades are quite different. On pass 1 WTG the difference is not very noticeable. On pass 2 ATG the newer blade displayed some resistance in the moustache and goatee area. Third pass XTG and this is where the newer blade struggled on my neck. With the older blade everything is like a song. And the final result is a significantly closer shave.

So, in the next months I will have to compare all PPI models old double wrapped vs the new post 2017.

View attachment 1608595

Older PPI blades users know all PPI blades used to be double wrapped back in the days. Later around 2012-2013 they dropped the paper envelope and you had only wax paper. In 2017 all of their blades got the new Gillette logo and most of them had the ©2017 on the back of the packs. Inscription with the blade name appeared on the wax paper.

I have been using for years the 7 O'clock Sharpedge. The ones I use currently were bought in 2011, double wrapped - the left on the photo.
A couple of years ago I bought the new design - ©2017, on the right of the photo (manufactured 10/20). Back then I just used one blade and it felt significantly milder than the old double wrapped stock. I remember someone else saying the new stock were less sharp.

So I did this comparison. Two consecutive days with the same razor (ATT Windsor Pro Aluminium), tube and brush. I am 100% positive the blades are quite different. On pass 1 WTG the difference is not very noticeable. On pass 2 ATG the newer blade displayed some resistance in the moustache and goatee area. Third pass XTG and this is where the newer blade struggled on my neck. With the older blade everything is like a song. And the final result is a significantly closer shave.

So, in the next months I will have to compare all PPI models old double wrapped vs the new post 2017.
Bought a 5 pack a few weeks ago. Used one and gave the rest away.

I bought a couple of tucks of the 2017 version and just started using them this week. I am on shave no. 4 with the first blade and the first three shaves were close and comfortable resulting in a nice 48 hour shave. I did attempt to strop the blade on my Coach belt in between shaves, so not sure if that was effective or not.

I found this to be the case with Wizamet blades.

The 2019 stock are just like polsilver and pre-2014 Wizamet.

Post-2019 stock seems to feel very different.
Not quite as smooth or sharp and lower blade life.

I found this to be the case with Wizamet blades.

The 2019 stock are just like polsilver and pre-2014 Wizamet.

Post-2019 stock seems to feel very different.
Not quite as smooth or sharp and lower blade life.
I will do a comparison of the Iridium -Super too. 2008 double wrapped stock vs the new packs. But mine are manufactured December 2019.

Around 2010 I found the Iridium -Super and Polsilver Super Iridium to shave absolutely the same.

Reactions: nav
I’ve tried the SharpEdge a year or two ago and have to say I was disappointed. Mine are the single wrapper ones. I got a booklet of them sitting in the closet… They have been relegated to other duties.

I’ve tried the SharpEdge a year or two ago and have to say I was disappointed. Mine are the single wrapper ones. I got a booklet of them sitting in the closet… They have been relegated to other duties.
Indeed, the post 2017 ones are quite unimpressive with my tough whiskers. I regret I bought 200 of them thinking they are the same as the old double wrapped ones that I bought in 2011.

I will do a comparison of the Iridium -Super too. 2008 double wrapped stock vs the new packs. But mine are manufactured December 2019.

Around 2010 I found the Iridium -Super and Polsilver Super Iridium to shave absolutely the same.

I agree.
The Wizamet I used back in 2014/15 were exactly the same as Polsilver which I stocked up on from 2015-2017.
My 2019 Wizamet also feel and perform the same.

The 2020 Wizamet are a whole different story though! Even the glue spots are different between 2019 and 2020.

I agree.
The Wizamet I used back in 2014/15 were exactly the same as Polsilver which I stocked up on from 2015-2017.
My 2019 Wizamet also feel and perform the same.

The 2020 Wizamet are a whole different story though! Even the glue spots are different between 2019 and 2020.
The glue spots changed on all PPI blade around 2014 from four huge spots to only 2 which were on the center slot. Then in late 2020 they switched back to 4 spots, but they are now smaller than those 10-12 years ago.

The glue spots changed on all PPI blade around 2014 from four huge spots to only 2 which were on the center slot. Then in late 2020 they switched back to 4 spots, but they are now smaller than those 10-12 years ago.

Thanks for this info.
I wasn't aware of this as I kind of went away from all other blades since discovering BIC chrome platinum.

I've now got a lifetime stash of 2019 Wizamet and BIC.

I'm looking forward to your feedback on 2020 Wizamet.

Interesting. When I started shaving around 2010 somewhere in that first few years I got a tuck of the Sharpedges, and they were just a bit harsh for me after repeated use. I'm sure some of that was just technique, but I stayed away from them for a long time.

Fast forward to now, I purchased more just on a whim, and I seem to get along with them much better. I value comfort and smoothness over sharpness, so if these are a notch milder now maybe that explains me liking them more in their current iteration. I find the current batch very enjoyable. Sharper than many of my mid-tier blades, but not irritating to my skin in any fashion.

For what it's worth I am certain I have easy-to-shave whiskers, so I don't need uber sharpness to get a good shave.

Interesting. When I started shaving around 2010 somewhere in that first few years I got a tuck of the Sharpedges, and they were just a bit harsh for me after repeated use. I'm sure some of that was just technique, but I stayed away from them for a long time.

Fast forward to now, I purchased more just on a whim, and I seem to get along with them much better. I value comfort and smoothness over sharpness, so if these are a notch milder now maybe that explains me liking them more in their current iteration. I find the current batch very enjoyable. Sharper than many of my mid-tier blades, but not irritating to my skin in any fashion.

For what it's worth I am certain I have easy-to-shave whiskers, so I don't need uber sharpness to get a good shave.
The old double wrapped ones were almost Feather sharp. Sharper than the Bic Chrome Platinum and Nacet which are now praised for their sharpness. I have around 100 left of the old ones, unfotrunately I bought 200 of the new.

The old double wrapped ones were almost Feather sharp. Sharper than the Bic Chrome Platinum and Nacet which are now praised for their sharpness. I have around 100 left of the old ones, unfotrunately I bought 200 of the new.
That makes sense because Feathers and Nacets are both on my 'don't really love' list. Oddly enough I like Bics though, but I usually like them best in a really mild razor.

Funny hobby.

I have some older ones that I bought many years ago somewhere (don't recall the year but probably 10 years ago) and bought a tuck maybe last year. I don't recall the wrapping of the older ones but the new ones were in just plain blank white wraps.
The new ones were horrible and probably one of the worst blades I have used to date. I bought them from a reputable local source but I have my suspicions. The ink started to come off when I removed it from from my razor. It was so bad it lasted maybe 4 strokes before I removed it. If I was smart I would have taken it out after the first stroke but it just defied any sort of sense how bad this blade was.

I vaguely recall the old ones being much sharper too.
Below is a pic of the new ones I have that were terrible.
The open blade is the one that I had used once for a very short while and hated. (from the same tuck)

Attachments

• 5290ce70-ef4f-11ed-963c-81c377ea447c.jpg
    5290ce70-ef4f-11ed-963c-81c377ea447c.jpg
    779.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 54605e50-ef4f-11ed-a26b-272d19b72064.jpg
    54605e50-ef4f-11ed-a26b-272d19b72064.jpg
    721.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hmm I found my older SharpEdge blades. I probably bought them more than 10 years go. They are a still in their sleeve of 100 and have no dates on the tucks.

I also remembered that I was given two tucks by a generous wet shaver after buying a razor from him and he said that they were his favourites particularly in that said razor.
It's worth noting that the ones he gave me have arabic writing on the front, have a QR code, were made in 2019 based on the numbers in white and also have P&G 2017 in a bold font on the back of the tuck on the lip.
I have not opened these tucks but peaking on the inside I can tell you that they do have a printed single wrapper much like the ones you have pictured above on the right. I also noticed that the barcode on the back has a larger white backdrop than the others and has arabic writing where it usually has the tiny pick of disposal and writing where it mentions St Petersberg.

These are the oldest ones I have. I believe I bought a loose tuck at the same time as these many years ago but cannot find it right now but because they are so old some of the glue has come unstuck on the outer edge tucks on the sleeve of 100. They are in plain white single wrap and pictured below.
I am not sure how they compare but I have a feeling these older ones are all crazy sharp.

Attachments

• 77192310-ef58-11ed-963c-81c377ea447c.jpg
    77192310-ef58-11ed-963c-81c377ea447c.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 789c67b0-ef58-11ed-994d-57103446e622.jpg
    789c67b0-ef58-11ed-994d-57103446e622.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 7f08ff50-ef58-11ed-a26b-272d19b72064.jpg
    7f08ff50-ef58-11ed-a26b-272d19b72064.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 7d7d2f30-ef58-11ed-a26b-272d19b72064.jpg
    7d7d2f30-ef58-11ed-a26b-272d19b72064.jpg
    733.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 7bc2fc10-ef58-11ed-963c-81c377ea447c.jpg
    7bc2fc10-ef58-11ed-963c-81c377ea447c.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 7a2ea070-ef58-11ed-963c-81c377ea447c.jpg
    7a2ea070-ef58-11ed-963c-81c377ea447c.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 4f7eab70-ef5a-11ed-963c-81c377ea447c.jpg
    4f7eab70-ef5a-11ed-963c-81c377ea447c.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Hmm I found my older SharpEdge blades. I probably bought them more than 10 years go. They are a still in their sleeve of 100 and have no dates on the tucks.

I also remembered that I was given two tucks by a generous wet shaver after buying a razor from him and he said that they were his favourites particularly in that said razor.
It's worth noting that the ones he gave me have arabic writing on the front, have a QR code, were made in 2019 based on the numbers in white and also have P&G 2017 in a bold font on the back of the tuck on the lip.
I have not opened these tucks but peaking on the inside I can tell you that they do have a printed single wrapper much like the ones you have pictured above on the right. I also noticed that the barcode on the back has a larger white backdrop than the others and has arabic writing where it usually has the tiny pick of disposal and writing where it mentions St Petersberg.

These are the oldest ones I have. I believe I bought a loose tuck at the same time as these many years ago but cannot find it right now but because they are so old some of the glue has come unstuck on the outer edge tucks on the sleeve of 100. They are in plain white single wrap and pictured below.
I am not sure how they compare but I have a feeling these older ones are all crazy sharp.
If these plain single white wrapper blades don't have the date on the pack, it means they are prior to 2016.

If these plain single white wrapper blades don't have the date on the pack, it means they are prior to 2016.
Thanks for the info. I have had them for so long now and no longer have an account with that vendor (they automatically delete accounts unless you are constantly active it seems) that still exists locally here but its good to have some sort of idea where they sit in the age bracket.
Having not used the newer ones it sounds like there was a dramatic change. It would have been much less confusing if they just released a newer blade instead and left the yellows as they were. Funnily enough they could have made more money that way.

Top Bottom