What's new

Ballpoints

As a lefty I second the Pentel EnerGel rtx. Although more expensive they do fantastic and the inks dries before my hand travels over the words. They are my favorite gel ink pen. The pilots don't do a bad job either. As far as traditional ball points if the point is bigger than .7 and it has stayed in my pocket it I still get smearing. I always have 2 pens in my pocket, a Fisher Space pen which is the backup and my primary pen of the day.

Being a full time fountain pen user I have been thinking that for those situations that calls for a ballpoint maybe I should get a Lamy Safari ballpoint. That way I wouldn't stray too far away..... Anyone own one? How are they?

Being a full time fountain pen user I have been thinking that for those situations that calls for a ballpoint maybe I should get a Lamy Safari ballpoint. That way I wouldn't stray too far away..... Anyone own one? How are they?

A functional pen, have you thought about having a matching bp to your fountain pen, perhaps buy a nice leather case to suit both of them?

I have a few relatively inexpensive Lamy ballpoints. The Noto and Logo are my favorites, and I still have the Noto that was used daily for at least two or three years. They are great pens and I enjoy using them, but the refills don't seem to last very long. I'm in the States, so not sure if the stock sells through quickly or it sits around. Or that's just how they are?

Lately I've been using Bic Cristals most often.

Honestly Bic, be it Crystal or Round stic write very well and I think it's down to the tungsten ball and the fact that they make billions of the things and have more practice than anybody. Now if there blue only looked like it did in the 1980's. Cristal bold is nice. If you ever are in want of a slightly finer than 1.6mm tip go for the Cristal Soft. It's 1.2 I think. Available online but not in store at least in the US. They are French made Bic.

I'm a fan of the humble Cristal too. The regular ones you can get in the US are OK, but if you venture into the Amazon listings there are a lot of variants that don't seem to be regularly sold in the States. The Cristal Soft (in black) is probably my favorite, but the finer Cristal Exact is very nice too.

Bic Japan offers the classic Bic Clic, but in a made-in-Japan version called Clic Gold. Given the name, it's not too surprising that these unfortunately have the metal hardware finished in gold. There are 0.5 and 0.7 versions. I have the 0.5 and it's darn nice too. You can find these on Amazon and eBay pretty easily. Unfortunately the Japanese refill is too short to fit a vintage Made-in-USA Clic that I still have from a long time ago.

These Bics are very light

image.jpeg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm a fan of the humble Cristal too. The regular ones you can get in the US are OK, but if you venture into the Amazon listings there are a lot of variants that don't seem to be regularly sold in the States. The Cristal Soft (in black) is probably my favorite, but the finer Cristal Exact is very nice too.

Bic Japan offers the classic Bic Clic, but in a made-in-Japan version called Clic Gold. Given the name, it's not too surprising that these unfortunately have the metal hardware finished in gold. There are 0.5 and 0.7 versions. I have the 0.5 and it's darn nice too. You can find these on Amazon and eBay pretty easily. Unfortunately the Japanese refill is too short to fit a vintage Made-in-USA Clic that I still have from a long time ago.
I have the Soft which are French made. Seem very much like the fill that is sold as the Ultra here but in the Cristal stick. Exact are nice, but I think a nicer writing fine tip is the Cello Techno Tip (0.6) sold on AMZ. They are from India, but it's my understanding that Cello is owned by Bic

As to the Clic, I thought I saw them in the Japanese market. I got some just the other day that were made in Mexico. They are on the Fieldnotes website and come in black or red. Pen color denotes ink color. Can verify that ink wise they are just the bog standard Bic Clic that has THE common click give away pen for decades but in the older barrel design of the 70's. I actually like those older designs. I don't like that all of a sudden we need pens that are super grippy and 3/4 of an inch in diameter. It's nice to have a pen that moves easily in and out of pockets, purses, bags, what have you.

Not to change the subject but the Papermate Ink Joy 300 RT click pens are very nice writing pens. The ink is low viscosity ball point probably similar to the Uniball Jetstream type ink, but maybe not quite as low viscosity as that. They come in 1.0mm but really wish papermate would make some in 0.7 or 0.8. They seem to have largely given up on fine tips these days.

Ballpoint and gel ink has a place in my rotation for sure. I had a stable of lamy ball pens but lost interest given the cost of the replacement ink and once after stockpiling discovered they were dry. My go to is a bic bold blue. For better pens I use Karas pens with either g2 or space pen ink.
You can hack in a Pilot G2 gel refill into the Lamy Safari Ballpoint pen. Several videos on the tube on how to do it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I use G2 and Signo refills in my Lamy 2000 rollerball pen. A spring out of a disposable click pen works great as a spacer.
I ordered jaymo m16 replacement refills
Much more affordable. We shall see as to the quality and performance.

At work I always have either my Jotter Flighter or my copper Tactile Turn Bolt Action. I was just looking at the Tactile Turn website and see that they have a Ultem Bolt Action that is calling my name!!!

Tom

One of my favorites during my working years used to be UniBall 207, until they cheapened the bodies. Long retired now. Most of my writing these days are just scribbled reminders on post-its next to the PC, or shopping lists on index cards with a Pilot G-2 or TWSBI Pencil. Love the pencil. Next Jet Pen order, I need to look for a better pen.

Top Bottom