What's new

Help identifying the source of my irritation

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, I've participated in other threads and lurked a lot before signing up, this is my official introduction. I've been DE shaving for just two months after reading a lot here and watching tons on videos on YouTube. As I said in another thread, I suffer from Dermatitis. My skin is oily around my nose, and dry towards my cheeks, jawline, sideburns and neck. This has put me in a tough spot since I was young. Started shaving with an electrical razor, which gave me terrible irritation specially in the neck. After many years I switched to cartridge razors which were more efficient and helped a bit with irritation. Finally I discovered DE razors and here I am. I'm quite new and of course need still tons of practice, but this is my hobby now. I have a Merkur Progress, a 20-dollar Rockwell brush (don't know the model), blades from different makes and several soaps and creams, a couple of post-shave balms and an alum block. When I started my idea was just to have a simple quick shave, so I began with Cremo since it just needed hot water and hand scrubbing. Got some decent results, with a couple of nicks and cuts, as expected. Then I switched to a Taconic soap, which I rubbed directly on my face and lathered. I'd say I got some of my best shaves that way, but the lime in my soap was a bit to much for me. I tried green Proraso twice, which gave me kind of a rash. Two weeks ago I started shaving exclusively with cold water and noticed a lot of improvement in my skin. Hot and warm water produced a lot of dryness and inflammation, cold water seems to have solved that. However, after a couple of hours or sometimes many hours, I get some red spots (not very noticeable) above my jawline, close to the sideburns and next to my mouth. Usually those three spots itch like hell. I sooth them applying water and a cream prescribed by a doctor for my condition (Nutradeica). I've read everything there is to read on the forum regarding irritation (The wanderer's guide and some others), but I can't pinpoint the reason. I've mapped my face, apply almost no pressure, the works. Only thing I avoid is hot shower and hot water, because it's literally poison to my face. I'll describe my shaving routine so you may help find the issue. I have fair, light beard by the way:

- Shave every day four times a week for work
- Prepare my face just splashing cold water and scrubbing for about a minute
- Face lather with Nivea sensitive shaving cream using my brush
- Do just one pass WTG and touch ups
- Rinse with cold water
- Apply alum block to my face
- Rinse after 30 seconds and dry face
- Apply Nivea sensitive skin balm
- I've only used Astra SP blades, 5 times tops each

Now I haven't shaved for over two days and the itchy spots are almost gone, so there's definitively something causing them during the shave. Strangely nothing happens to my neck, which is supposed to be the most sensitive place. What should I start testing, apart from technique? Quit the alum, change blades? I don't think it's the cream or balm, they are supposed to be for sensitive skin. Thanks in advance

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had red bumps show up early on. I switched to unscented soaps and made an appointment with my dermatologist.

There are some excellent ones out. I started with Canada Shaving Soap. It’s very good and my face doesn’t react to it. Amazon has it off and on, if you are a Prime member, free shipping.

The dermatologist confirmed, my skin was reacting to the ingredients used to produce the scents.

Last edited:
Well could be blade is too much for your skin, could be your applying too much pressure, could be too much pre to shave.

I am allergic to many things, I prep face with water on warm wash cloth, lather up, brush teeth, then lather has time to soften beard.

Are you letting weight of Razor do work, or pushing razor into shin.

I am in process of using up last disposables that weigh nothing, and when I use my DE that is two ounces, I let razor do work.

I had red bumps show up early on. I switched to unscented soaps and made an appointment with my dermatologist.

There are some excellent ones out. I started with Canada Shaving Soap. It’s very good and my face doesn’t react to it. Amazon has it off and on, if you are a Prime member, free shipping.

The dermatologist confirmed, my skin was reacting to the ingredients used to produce the scents.
I think Nivea sensitive cream should take care of that. Do you face lather or bowl lather? I was even thinking maybe the brush could be giving a reaction
I dip the razor head in alchohol after every shave after rinsing to evaporate the water. As for your rash l dont know.
Thanks, I’ll start doing that just in case
Well could be blade is too much for your skin, could be your applying too much pressure, could be too much pre to shave.

I am allergic to many things, I prep face with water on warm wash cloth, lather up, brush teeth, then lather has time to soften beard.

Are you letting weight of Razor do work, or pushing razor into shin.

I am in process of using up last disposables that weigh nothing, and when I use my DE that is two ounces, I let razor do work.
Yes, I’m finally putting no pressure on the razor, although I have to admit I don’t really feel it glides. Could also be the quality of my lather

Unless you allergic to Nivea sensitive cream.

How many of you eat raw tomatoes, and raw pineapple?

When I do I get Hives from stuff other people eat no problems.

Remember in 1990 work story about two small girls, their allergy was sunlight. Believe it or not any exposure to Sunlight resulted in Second Degree Burns.

Yes we are all different.

Unless you allergic to Nivea sensitive cream.

How many of you eat raw tomatoes, and raw pineapple?

When I do I get Hives from stuff other people eat no problems.

Remember in 1990 work story about two small girls, their allergy was sunlight. Believe it or not any exposure to Sunlight resulted in Second Degree Burns.

Yes we are all different.

You are right, I’ll try another cream. Could it be the switch to cold water? I hear face lather is always recommended for people with skin problems, but I saw a video where a guy said the brush was too much for his skin, so he prepared the lather in a bowl and gently painted on his face

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have psoriatic arthritis and it can affect skin on my face. We both use Cetaphil face and body products recommended by the dermatologist though she also mentioned CeraVe. Both make excellent products.

She also prescribed Metro Gel. That cleaned up my red bumps immediately. if you can manage it, I really would check things out with a dermatologist.

I bowl lather but scrub in the soap with a good brush.

You are right, I’ll try another cream. Could it be the switch to cold water? I hear face lather is always recommended for people with skin problems, but I saw a video where a guy said the brush was too much for his skin, so he prepared the lather in a bowl and gently painted on his face
Could be Blade & Razor are not good mix, what works great for my is no-good for you. Shoes come in many sizes, and widths, because we are not all alike.

Could be Blade & Razor are not good mix, what works great for my is no-good for you. Shoes come in many sizes, and widths, because we are not all alike.

I'd recommend up your pre-shave hydration. 4 minutes at least.

The whole shaving after shower really works. 4 minutes is a good replacement.
Thanks

I’ll start by changing just one thing, as suggested in the forum (probably the cream) and I’ll hydrate more. If it doesn’t work, I’ll move to the next thing, the blade

It sounds like razor bumps. I would keep with the cold water. I would work on your shaving technique. I would also change one thing at a time. Try without Alum block, than different soaps, The one thing I would add is aloe vera. Also try changing your blade more often. Good luck! Welcome to B and B! As always just my 2 cents. Enjoy the process! Happy shaving!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I have many of the same issues with very sensitive skin, prone to rash/bumps and itching. Over many years of DE shaving, I've found a few things help for me: Change the blade much more often, never more than 2 uses for me; don't go over any spot without shaving soap; I use Proraso White Sensitive soap during flareups; if a flareup happens, just taking a few days off shaving makes the biggest difference for me. Daily shaving, while I might get away with it for a while, just isn't sustainable for me. I've moved to a Monday/Wednesday/Friday and sometimes Sunday schedule, and now rarely have flareups. I also asked the pharmacist for anti-inflammatory face cream, not sure the brand, but it seems to help. Hope things improve for you, Cheers

I found alum made me have skin itchy issues ? Almost like it dried it out in spots
Its a moving target and you are just going to have to stop one thing at a time and see what happens I reckon

Ditto try other soaps I found a few bugged me up pretty good and a few aftershave splashes also bug me pretty bad and some did not show that unless I used them daily for a week then would really start to notice

also I tried a few brushes out and found some less prickly irritating to my face :)

Also quit using Nivea more for the way it left my skin feel coated and started using the Neutrogena Hydro Gel Cream there are two Neutrogena I use the NON water based one so think its dry by name and has no blue color the other one has

Many AS products on extended use bug me !
found going to a witch hazel type tonic might be better I found the Lucky tiger so far seems to be good but need to do some real long term testing soon with it so that also might be something to check out (as in a witch hazel no alcohol based splash/tonic)
I still follow this up with the Neutrogena Hydro Gel

might also say get a sample blade pack and try other blades this has been HUGE for me and almost done trying just over 50 blades :) but found some that made a huge difference in comfort some blades would really irritate my face

I am also using a super mild razor Timeless Ti .68 as I found the higher gap types I can use but they also catch up and leave my skin a mess

Best of luck for sure but my journey has take a while to really narrow down and still in the trying things to find that best of the best for me so dont give up for me its been a long journey but so so worth it

this is a great place with great folks and you will get a ton of info to help

It sounds like razor bumps. I would keep with the cold water. I would work on your shaving technique. I would also change one thing at a time. Try without Alum block, than different soaps, The one thing I would add is aloe vera. Also try changing your blade more often. Good luck! Welcome to B and B! As always just my 2 cents. Enjoy the process! Happy shaving!
Yeah, I’ve had razor bumps and burns, but they didn’t really itch. These ones feel different. Will quit the alum, thanks
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I have many of the same issues with very sensitive skin, prone to rash/bumps and itching. Over many years of DE shaving, I've found a few things help for me: Change the blade much more often, never more than 2 uses for me; don't go over any spot without shaving soap; I use Proraso White Sensitive soap during flareups; if a flareup happens, just taking a few days off shaving makes the biggest difference for me. Daily shaving, while I might get away with it for a while, just isn't sustainable for me. I've moved to a Monday/Wednesday/Friday and sometimes Sunday schedule, and now rarely have flareups. I also asked the pharmacist for anti-inflammatory face cream, not sure the brand, but it seems to help. Hope things improve for you, Cheers
Thanks. I think I can get away with shaving three times a week. I also have Proraso white in my den along with eShave white tea, both are supposed to be good for sensitive skin. Will try one of those. Do you face or bowl lather?
I found alum made me have skin itchy issues ? Almost like it dried it out in spots
Its a moving target and you are just going to have to stop one thing at a time and see what happens I reckon

Ditto try other soaps I found a few bugged me up pretty good and a few aftershave splashes also bug me pretty bad and some did not show that unless I used them daily for a week then would really start to notice

also I tried a few brushes out and found some less prickly irritating to my face :)

Also quit using Nivea more for the way it left my skin feel coated and started using the Neutrogena Hydro Gel Cream there are two Neutrogena I use the NON water based one so think its dry by name and has no blue color the other one has

Many AS products on extended use bug me !
found going to a witch hazel type tonic might be better I found the Lucky tiger so far seems to be good but need to do some real long term testing soon with it so that also might be something to check out (as in a witch hazel no alcohol based splash/tonic)
I still follow this up with the Neutrogena Hydro Gel

might also say get a sample blade pack and try other blades this has been HUGE for me and almost done trying just over 50 blades :) but found some that made a huge difference in comfort some blades would really irritate my face

I am also using a super mild razor Timeless Ti .68 as I found the higher gap types I can use but they also catch up and leave my skin a mess

Best of luck for sure but my journey has take a while to really narrow down and still in the trying things to find that best of the best for me so dont give up for me its been a long journey but so so worth it

this is a great place with great folks and you will get a ton of info to help
I have different blades, which ones have you found less irritating? Types or brands of soaps that didn’t work out for you? Any brush recommendation? Do you find bowl or face lathering more suitable for your type of skin? Thanks a lot

Yeah, I’ve had razor bumps and burns, but they didn’t really itch. These ones feel different. Will quit the alum, thanks

Thanks. I think I can get away with shaving three times a week. I also have Proraso white in my den along with eShave white tea, both are supposed to be good for sensitive skin. Will try one of those. Do you face or bowl lather?

I have different blades, which ones have you found less irritating? Types or brands of soaps that didn’t work out for you? Any brush recommendation? Do you find bowl or face lathering more suitable for your type of skin? Thanks a lot
This is a HUGE YMMV
I have about 10 blades left to test or so
for me the Treet Dura Sharp have moved to #1 then Nacet is #2
I also found the Wilkinson sword German super comfy and more testing needed and the Blue Astra
but for sure just have to try a bunch then come back around in a year and try again is my thinking after DE shaving a few years I changed my thoughts some over the first year and pretty stable on what I like now
also in my other razors certain blades that work well in one do not work as well in the other so I really found I just needed to test them in each razor

one thing I do agree with many on is it might take a few months or so to get that technique dialed in but I also do not think its some mystery thing that takes forever to master :) and that its ALL technique and any razor blade and soap combo can work that I found is NOT true at all for my sensitive skin and face and the gear can for surely make or break the comfort level big time
especially shaving daily

brush wise I am using a RV (Rudy Vey) he is a member here makes super nice handles and can put a Muhle STF knot which I LOVE and is my #1 for now
I had two other synthetics a Italian Barber Plissoft but it was a touch itchy and some other viking brand also a touch itchy to my sensitive skin so the Muhle STF is superior for me and many love them for synthetic
the one other brush I love is a Semogue badger and its insane soft and nice but the synthetic develops lather a touch better I feel in my super hard water but its my #2 but for sure its softer on the face

I find the Captains Choice Cream the best so far and the TOBS Jermyn Street for sensitive skin might be #2 and then SV soap has been very good but again this is personal
soaps that have bugged me the prorasso(very drying) and Stirling(allergic reaction) and forgot the other one that flat out could not use :)
but a few other soaps also on extended use kinda leave my skin more irritated feeling post shave so I am also going to go back through my soaps and compare all of them again

For me its the after I use one for a few weeks that I start to notice just like the blades and the razors that I notice the irritation set in and again I have to then stop long enough to kinda heal up for a day and am OK or switch to that super mild razor for a few days
so I kinda have this its not worth it and while its a fun hobby its more about loving the shave every day and NOT having irritated skin ever again

when I used cart 5 blade type razors I hated shaving and did it as little as I could and would look like a extra on old Miami Vice shows with my shadow :) same as with my braun electric
if I had stopped at my first nice razor I would think its just as painful so glad I kept trying and same as the blades some are just flat out eye tearing painful !

FYI 59 yr old red facial hair that has gone over half grey and super sensitive skin and have allergies that also effect me sometimes

soaps I have so far
proxy.php

My end goal is to have one maybe two things I love and just use the best of the best though many are OK with almost all soaps and seem to do well with most soaps ? Again that YMMV

IMHO a soap is not a soap and while some are very close a few have stood out way more comfy

as for face or bowl I work up in bowl but do a small bit on my face Splaying the brush and then paint smooth but not to much
I have tried face lathering and find I like the bowl way better
for the CC Cream or the TOBS I can face lather since they work up so quick but even with the softest brush I notice it can push my skin past its comfort

one thing for me if I shave after I shower I get way more irritation almost like it makes my skin to sensitive or to soft ? And that is even with just water on my face

I have played around a bit with some pre shaves but found they do not do much ? But some find they work for them and seems many say the Grooming Dept one is really good

I can say I used to use Cremo when I used a cart type razor and have used it with my DE for travel but the other brands like above IMHO are way better for my face in comfort but I keep the Cremo around for that travel which for me is camping

I have had a few razors and as example the Wolfman 1.15 was to much for me daily the .95 gap I was OK for a week then it would catch up and be to much and I had to take a break
my current is a Timeless Ti .68 SB that I love BUT again the YMMV and I did find I was glad to test various razors to find one that I never nick and get comfy shaves with
and I still want to try a low gap wolfman like a .75/.85 and a Tatara razor still as I want to make sure I scratch that itch to know they shave like !

Hope all that rambling helps :)

Many of us have a Journal page and I find its a good place to put down my thoughts

so might be worth starting one to kinda track what you are doing using and what you thought to look back on :)

Cold water is good.
Alum is a bit harsh for my skin (I use it only if I nick myself and as deodorant)
Alery to ceram or balm, sensitive stuff has different formula from reuglar stuff, try regular cream for a couple of shaves.
But, in my humble opinion, it's most likely shaving technique, map your beard, and adjust pressure and angle.

I alternate between face and bowl lathering. Usually face lather for soaps, and bowl lather for creams. Cheers

Top Bottom