What's new

What vintage TTO Gillette do I have here?

I'd like to learn more about what I have here. It came in a metal Aristocrat case off the Bay, but some have suggested it might be a Regent Tech (not to be confused with a Ranger Tech). Any insight and information is welcome!

It is gold plated, although that might be hard to tell from the pictures as there is some plating loss and silvering on the handle. There are clearly no endcaps, and the center bar is not notched.

I thought it was an Aristocrat when I bought it.
Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking Aristocrat, too, but am not sure since it was obviously produced without endcaps. Whatever it is, I'd say pre-'47, probably Aristocrat. (I'll bet that it's a splendid shaver.)

-- John Gehman

Doesn't it look like the Aristocrat on the cover of "The Leisure Guy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving"? Was it made without endcaps, or are they just missing? Are there differences that I dont' see?

No endcaps by design. They are bright shiny and show the two hinge pieces with no solder marks. It certainly is similar to the later 40's Aristocrats that I have in my collection.

nice - that is a Regent Tech:
proxy.php

a very early version of the closed comb Aristocrat.

Any additional information such as production years? The wiki shows an open comb razor called a Regent Tech that is stated to be identical to the Senator. But Achim's site and Arik show this razor with a very cool leather and wood case.

The Senator-Regent Tech-Aristocrat thing has me confused!:confused:

Last edited:
nice - that is a Regent Tech:
proxy.php

a very early version of the closed comb Aristocrat.

Any additional information such as production years? The wiki shows an open comb razor called a Regent Tech that is stated to be identical to the Senator. But Achim's site and a Arik show this razor with a very cool leather and wood case.

The Senator-Regent Tech-Aristocrat thing has be confused!:confused:

Something is very wrong here. The picture above is the right case (wood and leather) but the razor is wrong. It is like the open comb Senator. That is what mine is and it also shows this in Krumholz book.

Something is very wrong here. The picture above is the right case (wood and leather) but the razor is wrong. It is like the open comb Senator. That is what mine is and it also shows this in Krumholz book.

My Regent Tech case has in it the no-notch, no-end cap Aristocrat-type gold-plated.... etc.

this topic was discussed here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=86023

I'm calling mine a Regent Tech, and that's that!

Unless I'm wrong, in which case I won't, anymore.

I seem to have landed in a gap in our collective razor knowledge! Definitely an interesting razor! And at least there is no controversy on what a Regent Tech case looks like!:smile:

Ray, could you post a picture of your Ranger Tech set? I have a theory but I'd like to see yours first. I will mention that part of my theory will have you both correct. I need to work out the timelines, but it is beginning to make plausible sense.

I seem to have landed in a gap in our collective razor knowledge! Definitely an interesting razor! And at least there is no controversy on what a Regent Tech case looks like!:smile:

One version of the case anyway. There is also this version. All part of the theory.

:wink:

proxy.php

Wait wait, so what razor goes in the leather case? The capless 40s Aristocrat looking razor or a Senator looking razor? I would take the picture in the Krumholz book with a grain of salt. Ray, did you find the senator looking razor with this case?

Ray, could you post a picture of your Ranger Tech set? I have a theory but I'd like to see yours first. I will mention that part of my theory will have you both correct. I need to work out the timelines, but it is beginning to make plausible sense.

I most certainly will upon my return tomorrow evening as I am just about to head out for the weekend festivities.

Wait wait, so what razor goes in the leather case? The capless 40s Aristocrat looking razor or a Senator looking razor? I would take the picture in the Krumholz book with a grain of salt. Ray, did you find the senator looking razor with this case?

Yes I agree but......and to answer...yes!

Okay, that is part of my theory. The Senator was also known as the Regent Tech in a different case. Then, the Regent Tech name was used with a new upscale thicker handled, solid bar, gold plated razor in 1941. And not coincidentally, the same year as the the lower end Ranger Tech and Milord/Milord Tech which all featured similar solid guard bars, exposed positioning bars and no end caps. The same case could very well have been used for both Regent Techs until the supply was exhausted. The black case would have been the other option after supply was gone.

:cool:

I think the jury is still out on this issue. I have been following Regent Tech sets over several years now and about 7 out of 10 had the "aristocrat" razor , with the uncovered carriers on the side. On the other hand, some sets, including the one shown in Krumholtz, have the Senator razor in them. Unfortunately, I am not a ware of any adverts that present the Regent Tech. It is interesting to note, that the 1946/7 Aristocrat sets came with instructions describing them as "Tech Razors", suggesting a link to the Regent Tech.. AsylumGuido's theory also makes sense.

Last edited:
I think the jury is still out on this issue. I have been following Regent Tech sets over several years now and about 7 out of 10 had the "aristocrat" razor , with the uncovered carriers on the side. On the other hand, some sets, including the one shown in Krumholtz, have the Senator razor in them. Unfortunately, I am not a ware of any adverts that present the Regent Tech. It is interesting to note, that the 1946/7 Aristocrat sets came with instructions describing them as "Tech Razors", suggesting a link to the Regent Tech.. AsylumGuido's theory also makes sense.

Very interesting for sure......Another Gillette mystery to get the juices flowing....

Top Bottom