What's new

Best ways to lather your face without using a brush?

Finger applier here. But keep in mind I'm also a shower shaver.

Cremo works great. It's my favorite to use. Seems like this may work best for shower shavers.

EOS I recently tried from Walmart. It's not bad at all. Applies easily with fingers. Not foamy. Not very slick. But works pretty good. Probably better for those that aren't shower shavers.

Lucky Tiger liquid cream shave. This stuff lathers up surprisingly well with hands. Slick but not "slimy" like cremo. Gets a bit runny on my chin by the time I get to it.

So for shower shaving I highly recommend cremo as my top choice. For just finger lathering and you want something more "foamy" Lucky tiger. If our camping and want something easiest to wipe off with a towel then the EOS would be my choice.
I'm a huge Cremo fan as well. Just using your fingers on your wet face and spreading a dollop of Cremo (they say the size of an almond) provides an amazingly slippery surface that the blade just glides over. I tried it on a lark and now use Cremo probably 50% of the time. It leaves my face smooth and irritation-free.

When I get lazy and don't want to deal with the cleanup of the brush etc., and it is for a 24 hr shave that could go another 24 hr, I use Jack Black Beard Lube, which is a tube product. It works pretty good and there is no waste.

When I get lazy and don't want to deal with the cleanup of the brush etc., and it is for a 24 hr shave that could go another 24 hr, I use Jack Black Beard Lube, which is a tube product. It works pretty good and there is no waste.
Sometimes I'll use a similar product from Neutrogena .

Sometimes I'll use a similar product from Neutrogena .
I was using a Neutrogena product that was a hold over from my cartridge days as I was trying to use it up before I went to the wet shaving products. And now that you mention it, it did work pretty good. Which product are you referring to? Mine was in a wedge shaped short tube.

Which product are you referring to?
20230311_143214.jpg

Yes sir, that is the one! Well, after researching it all morning, it appears Neutrogena has discontinued this product. What a shame as I really liked it.

There are plenty others to try like Aveeno, Jack Black, Cremo, etc.

it appears Neutrogena has discontinued this product. What a shame as I really liked it.
That's too bad, the Neutrogena was always easy on my skin. For something in tube I've also been using proraso white, just a whole lot more clean up, even if you don't use a brush.

I feel confident that, with a little time and experience, you'll gravitate to using and enjoying your brush!!
Talk about a YMMV moment. I am a total brush addict and if I grew tired of using a brush and soap, or couldn't find the time, I'd probably go back to an electric, or just grow a beard.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've had a few shaving soaps that smelled so good, that if I had a sufficient quantity I'd put it in a pan, stick my face in and just motorboat.
Barring that, the brush works best for me.
If I HAVE to use canned foam, it's going to be (in order of preference):
Barbasol Red
Noxema (any variety)

lasta

Blade Biter
I like canned foam. Sometimes, I find it even more enjoyable and nostalgic than brush lathering!

Foamy is always a favourite. Original comes out on top, although the Lemon scented one is acceptable too on warm days.

Proraso is available in foam form for most of their scents. On top of that, Yellow (my favourite) is only available in cans. Think egg tarts with whip cream on top and garnished with sliced bananas, yum!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
It is certainly possible to rub a brushless cream onto your beard and even get a very good shave. The issue for me is that using a quality shaving brush to build up an excellent lather is one of the great pleasures of wet shaving. Hence, no brush = no joy. Or, if you prefer, I see brushless creams as soulless.

My great pleasure to wet shaving is my coffee I drink before hand and the aftershave splash I apply after.

I guess I could also say, using my fingers connects me to my face more intimately then using some extension to my hand. But that's probably a load of rubbish.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Lather your face without using a brush? The possibilities are almost endless.

I should think a cat would be excellent: soft tips, self-cleaning. Of course the personality of the cat should be taken into consideration.

If you're married you might try convincing your significant other to shampoo with shaving soap and interrupt long enough to load your face.

Piece of old shag carpet?

Personally, I delight in using the brush, so I haven't given this a lot of thought. These ideas are just off the top of my head. If I come up with better ones I'll re-post later.

With tool you were born with a finger, or fingers. Recall buy big tub of shave cream, finger in, finger spreading on face, swirl swirl.

People in third World Countries do stuff like sharing one razor for all make in family, new sharpe blade is luxery, and improvising to accomplish task is how the do most stiff.

They would be shocked to learn someone spend 800 bucks on safety razor.

My great pleasure to wet shaving is my coffee I drink before hand and the aftershave splash I apply after.

I guess I could also say, using my fingers connects me to my face more intimately then using some extension to my hand. But that's probably a load of rubbish.
Much as I love the feel of using a brush on my face and working up a lather, I have to agree. For a change I enjoy the tactile sensation of massaging a brushless cream- especially Cremo- into my beard.

Things like JB Beard Lube are designed to go on without a brush, but it doesn't lather. It forms a thin protective layer.
I have tried JB Supreme Creme with hand face lathering and it works reasonably well. It works better with face lathering and a brush. I haven't tried a lot, but I prefer face lathering with a brush to bowl lathering with supreme creme.
If I were going to make a guess with only a couple data points, I'd guess the softer the soap at the start, the better the results will be.
I try to avoid the can. It seems to pit the blade a lot faster. Probably not as much of a problem if you're using DE blades and you're swapping out the blade every couple days anyway.
I will admit that I have used bath soap to get a shave. It was camping, and I didn't end up scarred for life. It wasn't a good shave.

Top Bottom