What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

Another day, more lessons learned.

I am under the impression that my EJ 89 is a fine shaver, but it may not be efficient enough for my beard. I wanted to try a razor that was one step incrementally more efficient.

In my goodies box that arrived from Michigan on Friday was the Pearl Blaze. Everything I read about it suggested it was the next step up in efficiency from the EJ 89.

I loaded a fresh Nacet in it, applied Proraso white preshave and Catie’s Bubbles and started shaving.

It is a very heavy razor, and this led me to a rookie mistake. I caught myself applying too much pressure at times and I had to back off a few times. I did a total of two passes. As a result, I have a little irritation today. The Old Spice splash had more sting than it did yesterday, but it’s not a five alarm inferno. It was enough to reinforce that I still need to work on my technique.

At the end if it all, I can’t say it was any closer than when I use the EJ 89. This means I probably still need a lot of work on my technique. It could also mean I may still benefit from a more efficient razor yet. Or, ultimately, I will need to add a third pass to my routine. Time will tell.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Jay, I have an extra Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 plate. If you read this thread, it might give you a clue if it is something you'd like to own. If so... I'll post it on BST and you can PM me and buy it. It will go fast when I post it, I think, so we'll have to coordinate it.

You can stary reading about the 2.0 on Page 20 here.. but you can always read the posts about the two previous models as well:

Jay, I have an extra Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 plate. If you read this thread, it might give you a clue if it is something you'd like to own. If so... I'll post it on BST and you can PM me and buy it. It will go fast when I post it, I think, so we'll have to coordinate it.

You can stary reading about the 2.0 on Page 20 here.. but you can always read the posts about the two previous models as well:

Thank you for the offer. I’m starting to wonder if I simply don’t like heavier razors. The Rockwell 6c and Pearl Blaze are on the heftier side, and they both gave me irritating shaves. It’s obviously user error, but I seem to be much more in tune with my short handled EJ89. It is light and nimble. I need to master the heavy razors that I have before I go buying more, I think. Thanks again for the offer, but please send it to the first home that gives you a fair offer. It’ll go to much better use in the short-term there.

No problem. I change almost all my razor handles out to a Timeless Ti Crown handle... the titanium handle reduces the weight by an ounce or so. For me, that makes a huge difference.

You are the third Shaving Master I've seen mention that handle in as many days. I think the Universe is telling me something.

I'm enjoying your Journal @Jay21, thank you for sharing your Adventure with us!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You are the third Shaving Master I've seen mention that handle in as many days. I think the Universe is telling me something.

I'm enjoying your Journal @Jay21, thank you for sharing your Adventure with us!
I saw the Ti Crown handle on @never-stop-learning 's journal and other photos he posted. I loved the look of it so I ordered one. When I experienced how much lighter it was and how it changed the balance of all my stainless steel razors... changing them to a balance toward the handle to the balance toward the head.... and how comfortable it felt in my hand, I've using them on all my stainless steel razors... and I do mean all of them with one exception.

The Rocnel Elite handle can't be changed out because of the design.... but it isn't overly heavy so I adjust to that weight.

this led me to a rookie mistake

Just want to take a moment to point out that this type of event is not the exclusive province of rookies. You'll find quite veteran members sometimes reporting being caught off guard by even slight changes in setup.

One of our most experienced members handle is @never-stop-learning. I love that because it really encapsulates how the journey is never really over. The vets are just further down the road.

The fact that you are sensing too much pressure being applied and backing off accordingly is a strong indication that your technique is maturing just fine. :thumbup1:

Another morning shave, more lessons learned. Perhaps some of the most important lessons of this new shaving path I've been taking.

I decided to bust out the formidable r41 this morning. I took the Nacet blade (1 use) out of the Pearl Blaze and put it into the Beast.

Same prep as I've been doing lately...Proraso white pre-shave and Catie's bubbles. Two passes (WTG, XTG) with the r41.

Not a bad shave. I'd say DFS, maybe DFS+. I can feel it's closer than I get with the EJ 89 and Pearl. It's BBS when I run my hand WTG, but I can feel stubble when I run it ATG. My face definitely felt the blade today. Even though I applied no pressure (I was super mindful while wielding this sword), the blade was definitely noticed. My face has more tingles on it than normal. I used Gillette balm/gel instead of Old Spice because I knew there would be burn, and the Gillette stung more than it usually does.

But, here's the major breakthrough for me. Even though the shave feels closer with the r41, in the mirror, it doesn't look any closer than when I use the EJ 89. I have a fair complexion and my whiskers are dark, so even if there is no stubble feel, the stubble at and below the skin level is clearly visible.

So...it makes little sense for me to keep chasing BBS. DFS is what my face is capable of, especially if I will continue to shave daily. Sure, the r41 can cut closer, but it's not worth the extra insult that the razor does to my face. It's certainly not a razor I can use as a daily driver. I'm probably still recovering a little bit from the burn yesterday, but that only further confirms the r41 cannot be taken out of the garage every day.

It seems like the 89 head is the winning design for my face, and I've had that since almost the beginning. Getting a more aggressive closed comb razor won't help me at all since I've reached the limits of shaving efficiency for my face. I've previously tried the R4, R5, and R6 plates in the Rockwell 6c, and none of them shaved noticeably closer than the EJ 89. I suppose if I wanted an 89 head with slightly better fit and finish than my EJ, I could get a Muhle. The twist design seems nice. I shall have to think about it.

I also further confirmed that I like lighter razors and shorter handles. The Pearl yesterday was just too heavy and the handle was way too long for my liking. Good thing it was a fairly inexpensive learning experience. Even the Rockwell is a bit too heavy. Maybe I'll grow into it.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Getting a more aggressive closed comb razor won't help me at all since I've reached the limits of shaving efficiency for my face
There is always the Muhle Rocca, it's more aggressive and SS withe a nice choice of handles including a knockout birch bark, though I have the SS handle myself. The gap is larger but it is very forgiving and only has a little more feel than the R89. Wait until you have a little more experience getting comfortable shaves and I'm sure the RAD will bite then

Another morning shave, more lessons learned. Perhaps some of the most important lessons of this new shaving path I've been taking.

I decided to bust out the formidable r41 this morning. I took the Nacet blade (1 use) out of the Pearl Blaze and put it into the Beast.

Same prep as I've been doing lately...Proraso white pre-shave and Catie's bubbles. Two passes (WTG, XTG) with the r41.

Not a bad shave. I'd say DFS, maybe DFS+. I can feel it's closer than I get with the EJ 89 and Pearl. It's BBS when I run my hand WTG, but I can feel stubble when I run it ATG. My face definitely felt the blade today. Even though I applied no pressure (I was super mindful while wielding this sword), the blade was definitely noticed. My face has more tingles on it than normal. I used Gillette balm/gel instead of Old Spice because I knew there would be burn, and the Gillette stung more than it usually does.

But, here's the major breakthrough for me. Even though the shave feels closer with the r41, in the mirror, it doesn't look any closer than when I use the EJ 89. I have a fair complexion and my whiskers are dark, so even if there is no stubble feel, the stubble at and below the skin level is clearly visible.

So...it makes little sense for me to keep chasing BBS. DFS is what my face is capable of, especially if I will continue to shave daily. Sure, the r41 can cut closer, but it's not worth the extra insult that the razor does to my face. It's certainly not a razor I can use as a daily driver. I'm probably still recovering a little bit from the burn yesterday, but that only further confirms the r41 cannot be taken out of the garage every day.

It seems like the 89 head is the winning design for my face, and I've had that since almost the beginning. Getting a more aggressive closed comb razor won't help me at all since I've reached the limits of shaving efficiency for my face. I've previously tried the R4, R5, and R6 plates in the Rockwell 6c, and none of them shaved noticeably closer than the EJ 89. I suppose if I wanted an 89 head with slightly better fit and finish than my EJ, I could get a Muhle. The twist design seems nice. I shall have to think about it.

I also further confirmed that I like lighter razors and shorter handles. The Pearl yesterday was just too heavy and the handle was way too long for my liking. Good thing it was a fairly inexpensive learning experience. Even the Rockwell is a bit too heavy. Maybe I'll grow into it.

While I truly appreciate the shave I get from the aggressive razors in my den, I tend to reserve them for 'special occasion' duty for the most part.

I'm a daily shaver and my face is not best pleased by run-ins with an R41 every 24hrs.

I will say that those type of razors have helped me refine my technique exponentially over the years and as a result I get a much better shave no matter what I'm using.

While I truly appreciate the shave I get from the aggressive razors in my den, I tend to reserve them for 'special occasion' duty for the most part.

I'm a daily shaver and my face is not best pleased by run-ins with an R41 every 24hrs.

I will say that those type of razors have helped me refine my technique exponentially over the years and as a result I get a much better shave no matter what I'm using.
The r41 is definitely a great lesson in zero pressure.

There is always the Muhle Rocca, it's more aggressive and SS withe a nice choice of handles including a knockout birch bark, though I have the SS handle myself. The gap is larger but it is very forgiving and only has a little more feel than the R89. Wait until you have a little more experience getting comfortable shaves and I'm sure the RAD will bite then

It's on my radar, but I'd feel much better about dropping and breaking a $45 razor than I would a $110 one. Maybe if I can go a year without breaking one (knocks on wood), I can treat myself to a premium razor.

Todays' shave was a DFS-. I gave myself a minus because I have a few nicks around my Adam's apple due to a little clumsiness in trying to find the blade angle while shaving WTG. I have a weird growth pattern along my neck and throat area where about 2/3 of the hair is actually WTG in the W-E direction. That makes finding the blade angle a little tricky around the Adam's apple. The Nacet is very sharp and will quickly remind you who's boss like a terrier who doesn't want their hair brushed.

Proraso white pre-shave, Catie's Bubbles, EJ 89, and Nacet (2). Two complete passes, one WTG and one XTG. I tried some isolated touchups with some O-XTG and even ATG. Just a little minor irritation. It's enough irritation to let me know to stop for today but not enough to discourage future experimentation because it did result in a closer shave. It would have been a DFS+ if not for the nicks and slight irritation. Perhaps the irritation was confounded from my Sunday shave with the Pearl and my Monday shave with the r41 Beast. No weepers today, though. I haven't had a weeper in a long time, so that's good.

I'll probably give my face a day of rest tomorrow to help it recover from the nicks and irritation.

Against my better judgement, I decided to shave this morning. I really hate the look and feel of stubble (that's not in the beard form as I frequently wear a nicely trimmed and shaped beard) on my face, especially along the neck and throat, and I have to lead a meeting at work today. I didn't want to look like I just came off a 3-day coke bender in Vegas (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Same setup as before: Proraso white pre-shave, Catie's Bubbles, and the EJ 89 with a Nacet (3). This time, however, the lather just exploded in the bowl. I didn't want to waste a beautiful meringue, and lots of it, so I decided I would try a third pass today. I did WTG, XTG, and sorta-slightly-off-angle-ATG.

The result was a beautiful shave. DFS, maybe even DFS+/BBS-. It was BBS WTG but only small stubble remained ATG. The only irritation was from the nicks I inflicted yesterday. I'll definitely live up to my word and take tomorrow off from shaving to let my face recover.*

Even though the shave feels closer than all of my others, it doesn't look noticeably better in the mirror, so I have further confirmation that the two-pass approach is probably what works best for me and is all I need. Also, the 89 head is efficient enough for what I need to do. The Nacet might be wearing out, but I need to try at least one more shave with it to determine that for sure. Three shaves is what I can usually get out of a blade, but people hear are reporting Nacet shaves into the double digits.

*I reserve the right to change my mind in the event I have to lead another meeting or something.

I kept to my word this morning. I didn't shave. I pretty much hate it. Tomorrow's shave will be that much better. I'm thinking I'll try the Rockwell 6c again, but this time with the R3 plate.

A decent shave this morning, but not the best. It's probably SAS+/DFS-.

Two days worth of growth, Proraso white pre-shave, Catie's Bubbles, Nacet (3), Rockwell 6c with R3 plate, and finished with Old Spice. Three complete passes (WTG, XTG, O-XTG) with no touchups (in hindsight I need touchups but I didn't want to risk irritation).

It wasn't as close and efficient as the EJ 89, but it was extremely smooth. No irritation at all except where I scraped up my Adam's apple again. The Old Spice gave me quite the burn down there. That's a tough spot to navigate for me. I have more stubble than I would prefer, but the it's simply the R3 plate isn't efficient and close enough. Perhaps I'll try the R4 plate tomorrow with a fresh blade. The Nacet may also be showing its age a bit. Three shaves is really all I can get out of blades, even legendary ones out of Russia.

Progress has definitely been made because in the past, the Rockwell caused me so much irritation I deemed it likely unusable. It was clearly user error and pressure was the issue. I focused on lightly removing the soap from my face and didn't envision shaving stubble at all. A slight scrape of the soap is what I have to strive for.

This morning I loaded a fresh Nacet blade and the R4 plate into the Rockwell 6c. My prep routine was exactly the same as before (listed above) with the exception that I loaded the soap on the brush before lathering it in the separate lathering bowl. I had been flaking the soap off into the bowl previously, but I didn’t like cleaning the stuck soap out of the bowl. It was a laziness thing, and every minute counts during the workweek as I prepare to go to the salt mines. It was best to practice new techniques on the weekend. I’m happy to report I was able to make a lovely lather. It was perhaps a little thinner, but it was very slick and protective. I’ll use this method regularly moving forward.

I’m more happy to report that I had perhaps my best shave so far. Three passes. I drew blood around my Adam’s apple when trying to go against the grain despite the good advice I was previously given. This was user error while wielding a sharper blade and a more aggressive plate.

The shave was the closest I’ve had so far, even closer than the r41, if that means anything. My technique is getting better. I caught myself applying too much pressure at times because I was mentally tricked into the lack of blade feel and audible feedback. This blade and plate combo was so smooth and just plowed through the hair, making me think I wasn’t close enough to my skin. We’ll see what irritation comes on later. The Old Spice gave me noticeably sting, but nothing that would need paramedic help.

This is BBS in every area except my swirl. That area is a vortex of defeat where any dreams of BBS go to die.

This shave was undoubtedly the result of this fine forum and all the great advice I’ve received. Thank you to all.

Well, I have to reevaluate things as I’m getting some delayed onset razor burn. It might be from too much pressure. It might be from the third pass, which I usually don’t do. It might be from ATG, which I also usually don’t do. Or, it might be from the R4 plate, which has historically been my nemesis.

Tomorrow, I’ll use the R4 plate and only do my usual two passes and be extra mindful on the pressure.

Top Bottom