What's new

The Codger Cabin

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have a Brylon pipe tucked away somewhere with that feature.
I smoked it once to see if Brylon was as bad as everyone says it is.
It is.
The carb feature didn't help at all, but maybe that's because the pipe is so awful.
I don't see these breather ports now-a-days, and if it was useful I have no doubt the big pipe makers would still be doing it.
Kind of a gimmick like Gillette's adjustable razor IMHO.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I have a Zulu I bought at Christmas, not a Kaywoodie but with the carburetor feature. It's odd to glance down as you breathe into the stem and see a tiny puff of smoke come out of the bottom of the bowl as well as the top. It doesn't seem to smoke that much cooler than other pipes of the same configuration.

I've seen them enough, but not smoked them. Never was interested enough to grab one. Others can chime in, but the consensus I was given by those who do is that they can slightly cool a smoke, by diluting it.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I have a Brylon pipe tucked away somewhere with that feature.
I smoked it once to see if Brylon was as bad as everyone says it is.
It is.
The carb feature didn't help at all, but maybe that's because the pipe is so awful.
I don't see these breather ports now-a-days, and if it was useful I have no doubt the big pipe makers would still be doing it.
Kind of a gimmick like Gillette's adjustable razor IMHO.

I don't smoke a carb pipe. And I shave with a '48-50 Super Speed.

But I don't stay at a Holiday Inn.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

We finish the work week with a couple nice ones. Our own personal Emerson, in a perfect pipe smoking setting. And an Edgeworth pitchman heard through one.

So settle back in that comfy club chair this evening, and light ‘em both up.

49-11-14.2.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

We finish the work week with a couple nice ones. Our own personal Emerson, in a perfect pipe smoking setting. And an Edgeworth pitchman heard through one.

So settle back in that comfy club chair this evening, and light ‘em both up.

View attachment 1626056
I was under the wrong impression, based on recent viewings of products available, that Emerson was a Johnny-come-lately player in the cheap/throw away radio replicas you find at the big box stores.
That is obviously not the case as the brand apparently has a long history of quality production.
I can say that the modern versions are not as impressive as the old versions (like so many things) and are churned out in a factory in China for pennies (like so many things).

View attachment 1626057
The Adventures of Sam Spade sounds pretty corny today; Duff got caught up in the red scare at the end of the decade and was canned when the show switched networks in 1950. The main sponsor was Wild Root Cream Oil hair tonic,which may have had the most grating jingle of any product ever.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I was under the wrong impression, based on recent viewings of products available, that Emerson was a Johnny-come-lately player in the cheap/throw away radio replicas you find at the big box stores.
That is obviously not the case as the brand apparently has a long history of quality production.
I can say that the modern versions are not as impressive as the old versions (like so many things) and are churned out in a factory in China for pennies (like so many things).

Emerson was a big player in the electrical appliance and component industry for many years. Until recently, they had a well-deserved reputation for quality, at least as to their electrical components and subassemblies.

Our 21 year old Lennox AC equipment is built with Emerson control components, and it has not missed a beat sitting outside all that time.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Emerson was a big player in the electrical appliance and component industry for many years. Until recently, they had a well-deserved reputation for quality, at least as to their electrical components and subassemblies.

Our 21 year old Lennox AC equipment is built with Emerson control components, and it has not missed a beat sitting outside all that time.
I have good experience with Emerson electronic components in the industrial environment and have worked with them for years. Very good quality.
That said, industrial QA control is often superior to consumer QA control.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Any of y'all ever get to try a kaywoodie carburetor pipe? Was there any real difference in the experience? One doesn't see those common on pipes anymore (as far as I know).
I have a couple Kaywoodie carburetor pipes. Smallish bowls and good smoking pipes, but I'm not sure the carburetor adds much to the pipes 🤷‍♂️. At that time everyone was selling a gimmick that magically eliminated tounge bite or some such nonsense. The carburetor was a Kaywoodie swing at this type of marketing I think.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

As we enter 1950, the Naughty Nash makes another appearance. This time with two ladies in the back seat. Perhaps our driver is smoking PA.

It looks like they’re driving through freezing snow and slush. Let’s hope they don’t get stuck in it or run out of gas … even if he may be hoping otherwise.

50-1-9.jpg

Top Bottom