What's new

Favorite places to ride

Alright guys, we all have them. They are the places we love to go as often as possible. And we like to do it on our favorite bike.
While letting the temps outside climb a little this morning, I began a little conversation with AsylumGuido about the Badlands of South Dakota. I was getting ready to go ride them for the 10,000th time, and I was just as happy and exited as the first time I can remember going there as a kid, about 24 years ago. As I rode up to the park, I couldn't stop thinking about all the places I was going to stop. I've seen them so many times before, I know the peaks, the valleys, the grass land, even where the concentrations of prairie dogs live, (and the flocks of tourists who apparently don't have them where they live as they clog the road getting pictures:rolleyes:)
Why do I keep going back? Why not go some place new and have an adventure? All I can say is that it is possibly my favorite place to ride. I still wander around, pretending to be on some other planet. I take the same trail with the same plaster replicas of fossils found in the park and think that maybe this time when I look at the display, I'll notice something no one else had ever noticed before and be a hero! I think it will always be this way for me.
So, what are your favorite places to ride? Ridding weather is here, and gas hasn't started to climb much yet, where will you be going as many times as possible? And DON"T FORGET THE PICS!!!:lol:

I've always like this sign.
proxy.php

Kind of crazy cloud action today.
proxy.php

proxy.php

That's one clean shaven dude!:lol:
proxy.php

BTW Guido, I had a little chat with the spirits in the Badlands, they would like you to visit more, they miss you:wink:

I'll add that to my list of places I'd like to ride. Some day I hope to take one month and do nothing but tour on a bike.

A month is a nice ride. When I was younger I did that a few times. The last time six of us left here and rode to Alaska. Five weeks, what an awesome ride. Pretty rough in a few spots but it was a blast.

Have you ever done a stretch of the Sierras?

I haven't been to the Sierras yet, but that is one place that has been on the list for a long time. I have a couple of friends that do parts of it every few years. I might have to go with them next time the make the trip.

Sorry no pics. But some great places in So Cal. Joshua Tree National Park, Idyllwild including Palms to Pines Highway, the 74 from Lake Elsinore to Capistrano (The Ortega Highway), anything near the beach, and east San Diego county (Warner Springs, Julian.

Your not one of those are you? ......:wink:

I fully support your freedom to not wear one.
But I also reserve the right to question intelligence for not doing so.

My dad did trauma x-ray for many years, helmets help keep the grey stuff inside.

I fully support your freedom to not wear one.
But I also reserve the right to question intelligence for not doing so.

My dad did trauma x-ray for many years, helmets help keep the grey stuff inside.

Political BS....

The fact of the matter is the mortality rate is 32% higher for people that were wearing "brain buckets" The media loves to point out, "and the rider was not wearing a helmet" but you never ever see "and the rider was wearing a helmet" when a fatality is reported.

If you call taking away 50% of a riders hearing and 30% of their peripheral vision "safer" than by all means then I also reserve the right to question intelligence for thinking so.

I stood and watched a good friend die because he had a helmet on. After a driver of a care pulled out in front of him. He was fine, speaking, counting and answered every question the EMT's asked him. Then they decided to remove his helmet....yep, grey matter....His skull had split but was not visible until it was to late. The helmet did it's job alright.

Interesting.
I shall recant my statement, as I obviously am not as well informed as I previously thought.

I have to say, I am a bit of a hypocrite, as I never wear a helmet on my mountain bike, and I play in traffic with it.

Interesting.
I shall recant my statement, as I obviously am not as well informed as I previously thought.

I have to say, I am a bit of a hypocrite, as I never wear a helmet on my mountain bike, and I play in traffic with it.

What?...You play in traffic.....:eek:.....nooo!!!.......:lol:

Political BS....

The fact of the matter is the mortality rate is 32% higher for people that were wearing "brain buckets" The media loves to point out, "and the rider was not wearing a helmet" but you never ever see "and the rider was wearing a helmet" when a fatality is reported.

If you call taking away 50% of a riders hearing and 30% of their peripheral vision "safer" than by all means then I also reserve the right to question intelligence for thinking so.

I stood and watched a good friend die because he had a helmet on. After a driver of a care pulled out in front of him. He was fine, speaking, counting and answered every question the EMT's asked him. Then they decided to remove his helmet....yep, grey matter....His skull had split but was not visible until it was to late. The helmet did it's job alright.

Are you really suggesting that it's safer to ride a motorbike without a helmet? If so, someone better tell Valentino Rossi and all his Moto GP mates they are 32% more likely to be killed if they bin it.
Here in the UK helmets are compulsory but even if they weren't I'd still wear one. The 50% hearing loss is a bit of a red herring too assuming you wear ear plugs. You do wear ear plugs don't you? If you don't, by the time you're 50 you really will have 50% hearing loss :eek:

MrGuy, that looks like a great place to ride, I'm jealous. Mind you, the North West of Scotland is pretty scenic too :biggrin:

Back when I was a sport bike rider (GSXR1000) I loved to do a little canyon carving around Lake Berryessa in California.

Where is your brain bucket?:mad3:

I almost hate to jump in on all the action at this point, but it's on the other side of the bike. I thought I would be safe since I was off the bike for about 45 minutes at the time the pic was taken:lol:
I've spent the great majority of my adult life working in hospital settings, medical and mental. I've seen the immediate, and long term results of head trauma, and think I'd like to avoid it. I hate to start another round of debate, but if a motorist of any vehicle is relying on hearing over vision, that person is an extremely unsafe driver and should have his license taken away.
Just wondering, Ray, where did you get your info on mortality rates? Doesn't sound accurate to me, but I'm willing to listen to reliable sources.

Were else do you guys like to ride?:biggrin:

If I were on a private/closed road riding along I might 'stroll' along without a helmet just to take in the weather/wind and view. But there is no way I'd ever go out on a road with other people/vehicles without a helmet. I used to take slow rides through the woods when I was a kid on one of my dirt bikes, but there again it was slow, in a known environment and alone. If I was racing, riding a hair scramble or driving a street bike I always wore a helmet.

Top Bottom